1 year anniversary of starting this craft... this is where I'm at

Both are 01 steel - 3/16" thick - about 7.5 total length - the first has a tapered tang with vine filework, Koa & Buckeye, and the second is Ironwood and Buckeye.

I'm always eager to hear constructive criticism. Thank you!

brothers2.JPG

Interesting and unique design. I like how the hollow pins in the second one match the holes in the blade.

Somewhat of a traditional handle and a contemporary design to the blade. Very nice, keep going. Love making and getting better at my craft.
Thanks for sharing!
Blue

Beautiful knives! I really enjoy the handles.

How did you get that finish on the blades? Acid etch?

Thanks bud! That was a muddling of ferric chloride, hand sanding, an attempt at a hamon, and buffing, all in no particular order. I just worked it down until it got to a point of satisfaction (I think there's a euphemism there).

Criticisms first:
The holes on the blade, which I'm assuming are your trademark, could be a lot cleaner both in the roundness of the holes themselves, and the spacing. The blade finish looks really rough and unintentional. It clashes with the polished and traditional aesthetic of the handles. That's really my biggest issue, the clash between the blade and handle. Having a blade that looks like a post-apocalyptic, brutish, hard-use affair paired with handles that are polished and gentlemanly is not cohesive design, to my eye.

Compliments:
The handles look great. Everything looks neat and well executed. You can see the care and polish that went into finishing them. Very impressive for only having a year in the art.

The design is a near miss, for me. If the same polish and precision I see on the handles had continued in the form of a clean satin finish and more even holes on the blade, then the wide tanto grind shape would look more unique and compelling.

Since you already have a nice logo, perhaps replace the holes with a nice fuller to break up the negative space? I think that would look good. Moving the logo to where the holes begin would also look nicer.

I really like these. The design is great, and I actually like the contrast of the blade to handle. My only criticism would be, the finish on the blade. I love a nice stonewash finish, however on the ironwood knife it looks very uneven and blotchy. I think that may have been the look you wanted, but there's other ways to get the same effect. Maybe a nice stonewash and a clear hamon would look great. I would still be happy with either. I would think these were made qith someone qith way more than a year.

Back