102, 118,105?

I was wondering whether the 102, 118, or 105 would work the best on its own or as a companion to my larger 119. I'd use it for small game or fish, possibly up to whitetail. Other than that, just use for around the house or camp chores.
I've found no specific threads on comparing them, so I figured I'd ask.
So any opinions? Which is your favorite? Pictures are always appreciated.
Thanks!

I have all three and use the 118(my favorite Buck) about 95% of the time. Preston

My 102 is my favorite for everything from deer to squirrels. I find the 105 and larger to be too large. Love my pathfinder for camp chores though!

The 118 has a normal grip with a useable blade. To me, the 102 is smallish in my hand and the 105...might as well use the 119. So, the answer is 118.

I used a 107 for about 15 years on everything from deer to fish. Never felt like I needed more knife. DM

The 118 has a normal grip with a useable blade. To me, the 102 is smallish in my hand and the 105...might as well use the 119. So, the answer is 118.

I think this would be the primary decider.
If the 102 handle is too small for comfort, team the 118 with your 119.......or you could carry a 110 or one of the small three-inch folders instead. David's 107 idea is good as well.

I've got a 110, but I don't like to use it too much, as it has "Maine moose hunt 2015" etched on it, with an image of a bull moose skull underneath, and I'm kind of afraid of rubbing the etching off with extended use. Actually used the 119 on that hunt... different story.
I like the 118's blade shape, the long arc looks like it would give the little blade a bit more oomph, so to speak. Give it a nice long stroke.
Edit- I like the looks of the 107 as well, nice looking little knife. Just very few old used bucks around here.

Last edited:
118 gets my vote! Great size and shape for virtually any NA game! Love it!

My 107 had a full 4" blade of 440C and enough handle. With a pouch sheath. The first pouch style Buck sold. I only longed for a lanyard hole. DM

I'd never seen the 107! Great looking knife! 4" blade for game is as long as I can go.

The 102 may be small, but for me it is still the more practical knife. Plus, it is of a size that will insure you actually carry it and have it when you need it.

102 if I don't have a folder as well, or if the folder is tiny (a la 55 or similar). For fish I like the 121. "Other stuff" gets the 105 or 119, depending on what I'll be doing. :D

I feel in love with the 105 last year. I think its a great knife for just about everything. I just bought a 118 a couple of months ago and cant wait to try it out this hunting season. I have no experience with the 102 yet. I hope its a good squirrel and deer season coming up. I have a lot of new knives to play with.

I was wondering whether the 102, 118, or 105 would work the best on its own or as a companion to my larger 119. I'd use it for small game or fish, possibly up to whitetail. Other than that, just use for around the house or camp chores.

The 102 is a beautiful little knife and I suppose it would perform well on small game and fish, but the handle is just too small for me. I've never owned a 118, but I do own a 105 and 119. The 105 is my favorite for around the house and camp chores.

Pictures are always appreciated.

Since you asked. :D

nBU4Z1I.jpg

102 next to 110 for handle size comparison.

IMG_6157.jpg

Back