2009 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you experimented with the painters tape on the smooth side of the Kydex ?

Yup. Even the smooth side isn't really smooth enough. Taking it down to 1000 grit almost solves it, but not completely, and it's ridiculously time consuming without a bench sander. I'm hoping the new planer will speed it up, but am worried about grooving. Eh, I'll figure it out eventually. I've been playing around more with etching (well embossing really) lately, which is my fascination at the moment. So may ideas, so little time. :eek:

any more.Thanks to Kiah! :thumbup:

This gorgeous paring knife I own,made by Paul LeBatard of Mississippi,was seeing no real action,as a paring knife,in my kitchen line up.But it has all the rite stuff,for a small B&T type knife.The handle is contored,pretty thick scales.The ATS-34 stock is thin.This combo,IMO,is NG for leather.So......Kiah,is who I called on.I'm not disappointed,I'm freakin' out! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: What a job,it snaps in there like a lock!
This is a 7-3/8" knife,with a 3-3/8" blade.
Check it out......Thanks Kiah,
-Vince
DSCF0990.jpg

DSCF0992.jpg

DSCF0993.jpg

DSCF0995.jpg

That would be a neat peice of gear. I think koyote girl does somthing similar in leather (not to de-rail the topic)

Planned for next week along with some other attachments.

I'm still waiting for the perfect dye job, but that looks pretty cool. :thumbup:

Excellent job for your 1st time. Imagine what a modig machine would do for the image, but it would have to be a "lite" touch with the water jet.

We were playing with krylon the other day, amazing what combinations you can come up with when using the "blue" non stick masking tape mfg by 3M. Camo patterns take on a whole new meaning.

Simulated leather. Bad lighting. Looks better than it shows up. Same sheath.

attachment.php

I have to say that this looks fantastic. When I finally get the Landi knife I've been lusting over, this is the color sheath I'm going to contact you about.

I have to say that this looks fantastic. When I finally get the Landi knife I've been lusting over, this is the color sheath I'm going to contact you about.

I like it. The sheath itself was scrap. The original color of the Kydex was blaze orange. It was dyed red, then black, then red again to add a bit of color to what was now brown, then black on stressed points. The cool part of using the orange base is that it looked lined. The bad part was that even though the dye penetrates, making it pretty dang scratch resistant, it only penetrates the top layer, so a heavy scratch showed orange. So actually starting with brown would probably be better, just haven't tried it yet.

We were playing with krylon the other day, amazing what combinations you can come up with when using the "blue" non stick masking tape mfg by 3M. Camo patterns take on a whole new meaning.

Fusion is interesting in that different colors react differently on kydex. The camo colors seem to be decent if left to cure for a couple weeks. Other colors seem to chip if you look at 'em wrong or never dry. I have a piece of kydex I tested it on a year ago that still acts like the paint is wet. Pretty cool really but not what I had in mind.

Since I'm getting multiple requests for these, I'm going ahead and picking up a Swick from Spyderco. So, feel free to go ahead and place orders on these.

As a side note, a Google search for "Spyderco Swick" brings up Severator's video on the first page (I can't link or embed on this phone). Check it out if ya get a chance.

PayPal addy is kiah@customkydex.com if you wanna order without emailing back and forth. Just put a note of what it's for and make sure your addy's correct.

I missed out on the last bunch (because of my own lack of communication) So I will be ordering one of these when i get paid, tomorrow or saturday.

I just ran across Severator's vid and was hoping to pick up a pair of sheaths. My email is ajbell7(at)gmail(dot)com.

Replied to and emailed everyone I believe. If I missed ya, try again. Swick is on it's way from Spyderco, so should get to most of these next week.

I got three of these and they all fit great!!!! Thanks man great mints for my swicks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back