2010 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys, I've been offline for the most part. All of these have been shipped. If you haven't got yours yet, should be there any time. Mike and Brian, yours went out last due to the sheath issues below. I shipped them all Priority instead of the FC paid for to offset the time issue as much as possible.

Anyways, I scrapped every one of the originals I had made and started over, hence the delay. Before boxing, I tried them out with fresh lighters and they didn't fit. I figured out that the heat and pressure from molding was squishing the forming lighters a bit even with foil wrapped around them. I redid them with HVAC tape in multiple layers, which fixed the problem for the keychain lighters, but the sheath ones were still caving a bit due to the solid backing on one side. This was remedied by drilling out fresh forming lighters and filling with epoxy putty. Problem solved all the way around. Sorry for the hold up, it was a case of done quick or done right.

Mike and Russell, there's notes in your boxes on the colors.

On an unrelated note, I haven't checked my email in several days and don't have the mental energy to do it Tonight, so if you're waiting on an email or PM reply for something, I'll deal with it this weekend.

Thanks,
Kiah

(hope ya feel better soon)

Me too. Feeling a bit better anyway. I still feel like someone dumped gravel in my chest and then hit me in the head with the shovel though. :( Hopefully it'll finish clearing up soon.

Excellent, thanks for the response Kiah :thumbup:. And I think everyone would rather have it done right than done right now :thumbup:.

Have a good rest!

The weird thing is it only works with 1 of the 2 mini bics I had sitting around. Both are like new and have plenty of fluid. It seems like one of the bics buttons needs to be pushed down slightly further to allow the gas to escape. The kydex on top prevents it from doing so. There must be slight variations in the lighters. I will just but a bunch and use the ones that do work.

Missed this Yesterday. I bought a bunch to test and they all did fine, but they were all from the same batch so there may be variations based on time made or factory made in. The ones tested were France made. I'll look into it a bit.

Yeah, the one lighter I tried it with, I can still depress the trigger just enough to release a little gas. Not a big deal for me; it's fine as is, and it's much better than carrying loose in a pocket . I mainly wanted a secure holder to put on a keychain in my pocket or attach to packs/gear, and this does it perfectly. :thumbup:

Yeah, the one lighter I tried it with, I can still depress the trigger just enough to release a little gas. Not a big deal for me; it's fine as is, and it's much better than carrying loose in a pocket . I mainly wanted a secure holder to put on a keychain in my pocket or attach to packs/gear, and this does it perfectly. :thumbup:

Looks like I may have a few kinks to work out. Russell, yours should depress enough to light as edgemaster is the only one I made a non-depressable one for I think. Will it light in the case?

Off the top of my head while typing this, I'm thinking for keychain style carriers in the future of doing a friction fit instead of snap in retention. Not Kydex friction, but rubber coating in and out. This would allow for solid friction retention for button inside/outside carry as well as giving a grippy rubber outer surface to hang onto. It would also slim the dimensions down.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. For some reason, I was thinking you made all of them non-depressable. Yes, it does light in the case :thumbup: Perfect for my needs, thanks.

Friction fit with rubber does sound good, esp if it slims down the dimensions.

Sent you an email.

Been wading though 'em. If I haven't replied yet, I'll get to it Tomorrow afternoon.

Is the website back yet? Can someone give me the URL?

It's still down (how many months now?). Sorry about that. Have had a million different things on my plate and just haven't got it done yet.

Most likely anyone ordering Kydex belt loops for a sheath in the future will notice that they won't feel like Kydex. That will be because I will be rubber coating Kydex loops (as well as J-hooks, G-clips, and some other things) from now on.

3 reasons.

a) This will prevent sliding on the belt once it's tightened.
b) Though I haven't had any complaints, it will eliminate the possibility of a loop scratching belts.
c) It's neat.

I may also start rubber coating thumb releases and possibly whole sheaths at some point as well, but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks,
Kiah

Sounds groovy but then it may be a moot point for me.

You sound like you are simply too busy to mess with at this point. Like everyone else...

Maybe it is time to learn how to do this stuff myself, or stick with my tried and true leather.

Sounds groovy but then it may be a moot point for me.

You sound like you are simply too busy to mess with at this point. Like everyone else...

Maybe it is time to learn how to do this stuff myself, or stick with my tried and true leather.

I may have missed an email. It happens. A lot of times I read one and plan to get back to it and forget to mark it. Let me know what you're needing and I can reply here. I need to dig into my email and figure out what needs my attention and what needs deleting. It just piles up I guess.

Nevermind. I just found a whole block of mails I haven't replied to. Give me 20 minutes. If you haven't got a reply by then, then I didn't get the original.

Edit: Done. If that didn't get ya, then I don't have an email from ya.

Last edited:
I see several holster makers offering it (but my guess it's probably too think for knives, etc)

anywho I've got a half dozen projects if you can source some

thanks

Mike

Are you still making these? And is there a way to attach these to a belt, pack, or etc?

I see several holster makers offering it (but my guess it's probably too think for knives, etc)

anywho I've got a half dozen projects if you can source some

thanks

Mike

Sorry Mike, been offline. No luck in reasonable quantities. I think I can order it in large quantities, but they're too large for me to deal with right now.

A lot of the "Foliage" I see listed with holster makers is actually OD. Blade-Tech uses actual Foliage Green, but they buy it in bulk. I'll keep looking though bro. I'm gonna shoot an email to KK in a bit and see if they can stock it or source me some. I agree that it is a nice color and would be popular given a supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back