2016 Gardens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another burst of winter heading your way Taldesta. Somebody tell Old Man Winter that it's spring now.

First, thanks for, well, just knowing that we were expecting this weather. Holy cow. Appreciated.

Just a dusting overnight thankfully - although the worst winter snow I have ever encountered in my long life hit over the first three days in April with high winds and impassable drifting that buried parked vehicles.

The baby Slug tracks help give it away.:D

How observant - baby slug trails indeed! Do you think those are bleeding heart shoots in the "Hosta and Mums" pic?

Overturning the leaves for snacks this morning at the edge of the laneway I spot and welcome the return of one of last year's babies (certain I recognize this one ;) ). Little spruce in background followed me home with six others after my fall camp in 2014. No guilt. Otherwise, they would have been under-wheel in a logging staging yard. Better living here and adding beauty and green to the landscaping.

The river is almost at full flood for this year. You can see that the swales on the far shore are now part of the main river current and that the 'far shore' is well under water. The current swirling around the fallen maple is audible up here in the yard. High current. The power of moving water in flood. I stay away and keep the pups close as well.

The water has crept up to under my kayak but has not yet floated it. I am not worried this year. It is always tethered to a tree in any event. Waterpup, my canoe, is safe in the shop and I have the paint for the spruce up already in hand. Then the decals go on ... and I can't wait. I may fire up the woodburner in the shop just to get on with it.

Yesterday (pic April 1) the sink hole at the end of the laneway enlarged with the rainfall adding to the melt water ...

But, you can see that help is in sight (pic April 2) ... new culverts already dropped in anticipation of better weather. The old culvert was placed in the early 1970's and owes no-one.

On the 'hospital' end of the grow table, you can see that (nearest the window) the healthy nasturtiums are lanky and have already started to coil their stems in that corkscrew (elbows on the ground) habit they have. Planted March 13th ... a little too soon perhaps. There is a morning glory (in a shot glass) that was too tightly formed after germinating yet is progressing well with care now. My best brag are these geraniums, in the foreground, propagated from stem cuttings. Also trying same with an overly tall begonia ... but not so sure. Time will tell.

I wish my desire for new plants were tied somehow to my available table space in the good available sunshine and light ... but NOT. I picked up some amaranth (wow - never see these offered in packs) "Love Lies Bleeding" - the same seed I had to order from Oregon last year and all used up. And some portulaca. This treatment is new to me - coated for easy handling. Worth the extra cost to me if the plants turn out well. And some begonia corms ... that should save me a lot of money compared to buying plants. Tip - I checked the corms for buds to ensure plant life. Lots of packages contained duds - rotting or dead corms.

The snow dusting is gone with the sunshine ... the river is rising fast. Still some freezing overnight temps ahead.

Last edited:
I think it's the Mums. They have leaves like Wormwood.
First, thanks for, well, just knowing that we were expecting this weather. Holy cow. Appreciated.

Just a dusting overnight thankfully - although the worst winter snow I have ever encountered in my long life hit over the first three days in April with high winds and impassable drifting that buried parked vehicles.

How observant - baby slug trails indeed! Do you think those are bleeding heart shoots in the "Hosta and Mums" pic?

Looks like he brought a date to dine on my lawn (in the snow) today.

E29136CC-DFF7-4A25-9949-ABF6D669E443_zpsacr1mzvk.jpg

Looks like he brought a date to dine on my lawn (in the snow) today.

Let's see ... a rabbit with a date ... very cute! Is that the theme song to "Jaws" :eek: I hear in the distance?

The daffodils here don't seem to be deterred by the frostbite. They are buried well under the snow again today.

And, during the break in winter on Monday, it was out with the aged culvert and in with the new. Kudos to this local hardworking crew who know their stuff and got a great job done to last another 40 plus years.

On the river yesterday I watched a hooded merganser pair in an eddy near the far shore. Diving ducks. The female was diving steadily. The white on the male makes them visible from a fair distance on the black water. Later in the season, it will be such a treat to see the female with a big brood bobbing along behind, with maybe a couple riding on her back. I understand the female will adopt the babies of another under certain circumstances.

Doubling up on several plants that I want to share with a friend. Labels, labels, labels.

OK - it's almost time to locate the plants in the shop ... as soon as the daytime temps rise ... perhaps a week or two. I have extended the table area in the south facing window and moved the big plants to the basement windows.

Sasha says "It's back!" I say "Not for long."

Great to see the garden thread going in 2016! I won't be joining for a bit still. Here's weather this lovely spring morning. It's a shame because all the daffodils and crocuses I see going to work will be done for[emoji33]

27d32527782fc6e0449a304c954e5ef0.jpg

Great to see the garden thread going in 2016! I won't be joining for a bit still. Here's weather this lovely spring morning. It's a shame because all the daffodils and crocuses I see going to work will be done for[emoji33]

Hey there, BenchCo Spydermade

... sharing your pain - yesterday's pic

3F here night before last; still winter hanging in as we walked out back yesterday - just turning to wet snow earlier this morning and presently rain with the temp hovering just above freezing. Yup, spring is definitely in the air - somewhere. :confused:

The nasturtiums are putting roots out through the drain holes of these little starter pots and so needed re-planting into larger containers. I found these poorly made watering cans on clearance and drilled drainage holes in them to make some interesting (I think ... ) planters. Some Thunbergia (Black Eyed Susan) also transplanted. Both these plants can either climb or trail and both put up knock-out colours all summer long right to frost ... and my intention is to place the watering can planters on rustic log stands on the patio and let them trail.

This little planter is unique - picked up at the local Re-Store (Habitat for Humanity). The upper container is not glazed on the bottom area that fits into the lower which holds water, so I am hoping that this configuration can help four trailing Black Eyed Susans to thrive in spite of the extremely small sized container. Another experiment.

And lastly, the shy guy in the woods is pressed to show himself while foraging for food under the snow. If I perch quietly on the kitchen counter and can just get the window open without startling him ... the American Woodcock

I'll not be posting pics of trilliums any time soon! :( Anybody got some?

Last edited:
Hey there, BenchCo Spydermade

... sharing your pain - yesterday's pic

3F here night before last; still winter hanging in as we walked out back yesterday - just turning to wet snow earlier this morning and presently rain with the temp hovering just above freezing. Yup, spring is definitely in the air - somewhere. :confused:

The nasturtiums are putting roots out through the drain holes of these little starter pots and so needed re-planting into larger containers. I found these poorly made watering cans on clearance and drilled drainage holes in them to make some interesting (I think ... ) planters. Some Thunbergia (Black Eyed Susan) also transplanted. Both these plants can either climb or trail and both put up knock-out colours all summer long right to frost ... and my intention is to place the watering can planters on rustic log stands on the patio and let them trail.

This little planter is unique - picked up at the local Re-Store (Habitat for Humanity). The upper container is not glazed on the bottom area that fits into the lower which holds water, so I am hoping that this configuration can help four trailing Black Eyed Susans to thrive in spite of the extremely small sized container. Another experiment.

And lastly, the shy guy in the woods is pressed to show himself while foraging for food under the snow. If I perch quietly on the kitchen counter and can just get the window open without startling him ... the American Woodcock

I'll not be posting pics of trilliums any time soon! :( Anybody got some?
Hi taldesta! Well it is certain whenever spring does get here, you'll be ready!

Before:

38e4b8a6b96d9a99a9de48c55ae66114_zpscv5l9g8r.jpg

After:

002fc09b56b91acd7fbea566914674ac_zpsv9z8gilw.jpg

Moved some columbine, put my chives in the ground and planted two Nikko Blue Hydrangeas.

I'm a hot pepper nut.
My Fatalii from last year. Hope to get the same amount this season. Gave me over 500 pods last year. Also growing Moruga Scorpion (yellow and red), Pequin, Serrano, chocolate habanero, Red Savina, and Artichoke, eggplant, and brussel sprouts.

No gardening today other than mowing the lawn and putting some seed down where the dogs leave bald patches. It's a nice day and the petals from my Magnolia have began to fall. It won't be long now and it'll be green.

99219309-2D86-42DC-A8CB-8EC408E6F5BF_zpsdwdxhofy.jpg

The Pear blossoms have peaked as well. "They are all perfect." ;)

DA8C25E3-3C8F-43EA-8A60-80B6DB989C3F_zps0fkdousc.jpg

The Hostas are healthy.

5F1515E8-BCCF-4066-943C-B3E2CF86CB38_zpsmh8ytz1m.jpg

Daisy is wondering who stole all the fertalizer she provided.

054BFD0E-FC85-4017-A3FF-ADE5BFC836B3_zpswrz6u586.jpg

I'm a hot pepper nut.
My Fatalii from last year. Hope to get the same amount this season. Gave me over 500 pods last year. Also growing Moruga Scorpion (yellow and red), Pequin, Serrano, chocolate habanero, Red Savina, and Artichoke, eggplant, and brussel sprouts.

The peppers are something I have never tried here. Now I am tempted :)

I got started yesterday .

I passed by a garden owl a couple of weeks ago and it reminded me of your garden last year ... glad to see you're at it again! Some pansies, right? I am perking up my planters with lots of those happy little faces this year. Honestly, I think that I have at least 4 plants that made it through our mild winter. Time will tell.

mewolf1 ... I am unable to view the image or attachment in your two most recent posts here. I've tried and the page is loading well otherwise. Is it just my problem or are others experiencing it? I know, usually it's me ...

No gardening today other than mowing the lawn and putting some seed down where the dogs leave bald patches.

Daisy is wondering who stole all the fertalizer she provided.

Those blossoming trees are just beautiful additions to your property there, Rupestris. Magnolia and pear ... And I noticed that four footer garden assistant in a couple of pictures earlier and am happy to know your Daisy. She did a great job supervising the 'before and after' corner too. Nice job.

As for 'collecting' clumps of fertilizer and laying down seed on bald patches ... well I wouldn't know a whole lot about that :p

The flash in the pan that was spring ...

As it warmed up a little, the trails and highways used by the field mice and moles under the snow began to show through.

Perennial lupines are coming up after their first winter. They were started from seed last spring.

Hey! It's old friend Lumpy ... a little sleepy, snugged up on a hillside facing south and rudely awakened by my raking I sheltered her from the sunshine and curious pups under a broken clay pot in the warm sunshine. She relocated herself - typically independent toad.

OK ... who peed on the sod? :eek:

The upright logs placed to retain the entry garden in 2011 are rotted out and need replacing. Hate to part with their rustic look but I won't miss the hundreds of slugs they harboured and set loose on the garden all summer long. I was going to make some short concrete columns but, for a lot less work I can cut some treated mini ties and place the shorts vertically. That's the plan. The ties are still in the van in town, now in the shop for repairs. The van died on the way home from picking up the ties on the weekend - may be ready tomorrow. All the wild strawberries are pulled. Yikes I know, but they took over the entire garden last summer. They made for a delicious berry cobbler in the dutch oven ... but I want a lot more flash and dazzle in the entry garden for our short growing season. Wild strawberries and raspberries abound here.

To make some room in the living area, I moved a lot of the more mature plants to the porch and am now leaving the door open to the porch for heat to reach it. Geraniums are moved from the basement to the trailer in the shop and the woodburner is heating that area.

How can you tell that spring actually touched down for a few days? Desta (Dez) has her beloved pool back. This is a dog that bites hail.

Dipping a toe poolside this morning would be refreshing :D Salamander drip waterers for the bird baths/dog waterers are working (or will when the temp rises again). Daffodils are almost ready to bloom.

By the time I finish this post, most of the snow will be gone ... as the sunshine warms the day :thumbup:

Not you. I'm baffled by the Black X's too. I figure it's me. It was/is a pic of my Rhubarb comin up.
mewolf1 ... I am unable to view the image or attachment in your two most recent posts here. I've tried and the page is loading well otherwise. Is it just my problem or are others experiencing it? I know, usually it's me ...

It's May 3rd and I planted the last two tomato plants (Better Boys). As planned, I staggered the planting this year on maters. Started with two large potted store bought plants (the expensive kind), planted two more plants a week or so ago (Whopper and Big Boy), and the last two Better Boys today (total of six mater plants). We'll see how the staggering experiment works.

My onions are looking real good and I'm eating leaf lettuce as needed on sandwiches mostly. Have two batches of lettuce planted.

Green peppers were planted a week or so ago (six plants). So, I am pretty much through on the planting although I may stick a few yellow crooked neck squash in among the tomatoes yet.

This is the year I bought mushroom compost again and tilled it into the soil. I waited to plant the first large tomato plants till after I got the soil prep done. Things should grow like crazy this year; maybe grow too well actually.

Starting to get my flowers planted although there are many perennials that are up. Many of the potted stuff was done a couple weeks ago. Now I have to do the main bed planting (lantana mostly). Still have to plant my blue grass (ornamental). It survived the winter in pots and I'll be stick that as a limited ground cover to see how it does.

The dutch iris and Siberian iris are in bloom. Day lilies are sending up bloom shoots and a few are starting to bloom now. Things are actually moving toward summer now.

Added another metal wind spinner and a blue bird box this spring. Have blue birds nesting. Have had them pretty much all winter long.

The kicker is that I have yet to see a hummingbird. Don't understand it at all as I normally see the first ones the first week of April. My sister in PA has seen some in her yard and other sister in Nashville has them. Me... nope.

Well, I've been eating tomatoes, peppers, onions, herbs and mustard greens down here in Florida for a while now.
Here are some Cherokee Purple tomatoes I took a picture of this morning.

Looking good Stumps! :thumbup:

We usually don't get to do any serious gardening until after Mothers Day. A lot of the nurseries aren't even fully stocked until then.

I won't be home next week so I put mine in today.

D6619AE5-48D0-4598-BCA6-77BF13F9D6D8_zpsxyrxfusn.jpg

Put another Hydrangea in too.
1A05BF3F-D210-4691-87D5-B54D35FD1C53_zpswodlznzz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back