2016 Gardens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumps looking very good. You can probably garden most of the year depending on what part of FL you are.

Rupestris, I see you bought and planted a couple "large" tomato plants. I did the same a while back and have planted a couple regular sized ones since. I am sincerely hoping that this will spread the crop or harvest out a bit. My larger plants now have tomatoes up to about 50 cent size.

Well, all the pics and descriptions of harvests and plantings here lately sure are impressive. Thanks for the encouragement :D

It's raining finally. Snow flurries forecast for tonight but after the week of cool nights ahead, the plants should be able to stay out - not to be planted for a while yet, but only brought in if temps drop unexpectedly. Along with the hillsides filled with trilliums (Ontario's provincial flower) came the blackflies. Daffodils, trilliums, blackflies ... aaah spring

Red trillium

Entry garden is ready for the 'anchor' plants which I picked up last week. When these two begonias are planted end of month, they will need some shelter from the sun just until the blackberry bowers are leafed enough to provide shade. Solid colour in shady location all summer right to frost. Second anchor plant, new guinea impatiens - 3 big ones will fill the front area with huge, red blooms until frost. Overnight these beauties are staying in the van until it's safe. Cosmos are seeded but not showing through yet.

Yeah! We get outside almost every day now ...

Some poor, hand held pics of special inhabitants. Both very noisy birds. Pileated woodpecker ... this is a big guy, wary ... and his call sounds to me like he's laughing. Like the flicker call but louder..

Belted kingfishers. The annual yak attack. A pair chattering up and down the river, overhead ... loud, constant. I saw that they were, as they do every spring, perching in the tree tops just off my old, dilapidated deck overlooking the river below. They are so noticeable because of the noise that the dogs will often try to chase them. I took the camera and sat at the edge of the deck. I didn't turn the camera on because I could hear one far away along the river. I find that when you sit still, you fade into the scenery and can catch some good shots.

After about a minute the bank just below me seemed to explode. Kingfisher blasting off. It startled me. Then I looked over and noticed a lot of excavated sand trailing down the ravine. Without the foliage on the raspberry canes hiding the nest I could see by the look of the bank that they have likely been nesting here for years, undetected. Well I couldn't get my guide out fast enough to confirm that the kingfisher excavates a hole in a bank, placing regurgitated fish bones under its eggs by the time they hatch. For all their visibility and noise, they are very watchful birds and get very quiet once they have a nest to protect.

Excavation

Hand held zoom through living room window ... sorry for poor quality pics but these birds are wary

Geraniums are starting to bloom. Most will go to a friend's home.

Veg garden set to go. Lettuce and swiss chard are seeded. My tomato seedlings are pitiful and scrawny. Like 22, I'll be staging tomato plants but only 4 or 5 and mostly cherry size when I can start planting out later this month. Scarlet runner pole bean seeds are planted to shade the shop window - but no sign of sprouting yet (that's good with the cold temps)

A few white trilliums in the lower garden. Mom robin was splashing away in the lower pool earlier ... one day I will get a pic of that. The birds like the sparkle and ripple as water drips from the salamander and then from the upper to the lower pool. The water tower source is a big rubbermade garbage container at a higher level that gets filled every 4 days or so, depending upon the drip rate. These are rustic bird baths, shallow and with good natural traction. They are made simply ... mounded sand overlaid with huge ferns for texture, then thin plastic and the concrete roughly shaped over that.

First humming bird arrived on the tenth.

Happy gardening all :thumbup:

Well, all the pics and descriptions of harvests and plantings here lately sure are impressive. Thanks for the encouragement :D

It's raining finally. Snow flurries forecast for tonight but after the week of cool nights ahead, the plants should be able to stay out - not to be planted for a while yet, but only brought in if temps drop unexpectedly. Along with the hillsides filled with trilliums (Ontario's provincial flower) came the blackflies. Daffodils, trilliums, blackflies ... aaah spring

Red trillium

Entry garden is ready for the 'anchor' plants which I picked up last week. When these two begonias are planted end of month, they will need some shelter from the sun just until the blackberry bowers are leafed enough to provide shade. Solid colour in shady location all summer right to frost. Second anchor plant, new guinea impatiens - 3 big ones will fill the front area with huge, red blooms until frost. Overnight these beauties are staying in the van until it's safe. Cosmos are seeded but not showing through yet.

Yeah! We get outside almost every day now ...

Some poor, hand held pics of special inhabitants. Both very noisy birds. Pileated woodpecker ... this is a big guy, wary ... and his call sounds to me like he's laughing. Like the flicker call but louder..

Belted kingfishers. The annual yak attack. A pair chattering up and down the river, overhead ... loud, constant. I saw that they were, as they do every spring, perching in the tree tops just off my old, dilapidated deck overlooking the river below. They are so noticeable because of the noise that the dogs will often try to chase them. I took the camera and sat at the edge of the deck. I didn't turn the camera on because I could hear one far away along the river. I find that when you sit still, you fade into the scenery and can catch some good shots.

After about a minute the bank just below me seemed to explode. Kingfisher blasting off. It startled me. Then I looked over and noticed a lot of excavated sand trailing down the ravine. Without the foliage on the raspberry canes hiding the nest I could see by the look of the bank that they have likely been nesting here for years, undetected. Well I couldn't get my guide out fast enough to confirm that the kingfisher excavates a hole in a bank, placing regurgitated fish bones under its eggs by the time they hatch. For all their visibility and noise, they are very watchful birds and get very quiet once they have a nest to protect.

Excavation

Hand held zoom through living room window ... sorry for poor quality pics but these birds are wary

Geraniums are starting to bloom. Most will go to a friend's home.

Veg garden set to go. Lettuce and swiss chard are seeded. My tomato seedlings are pitiful and scrawny. Like 22, I'll be staging tomato plants but only 4 or 5 and mostly cherry size when I can start planting out later this month. Scarlet runner pole bean seeds are planted to shade the shop window - but no sign of sprouting yet (that's good with the cold temps)

A few white trilliums in the lower garden. Mom robin was splashing away in the lower pool earlier ... one day I will get a pic of that. The birds like the sparkle and ripple as water drips from the salamander and then from the upper to the lower pool. The water tower source is a big rubbermade garbage container at a higher level that gets filled every 4 days or so, depending upon the drip rate. These are rustic bird baths, shallow and with good natural traction. They are made simply ... mounded sand overlaid with huge ferns for texture, then thin plastic and the concrete roughly shaped over that.

First humming bird arrived on the tenth.

Happy gardening all [emoji106]
Looking good! I was supposed to start this weekend. This is what I woke up to!
ac24f2f3f21801dfa08b95d9e735837c.jpg

Oh well, looks like it'll be quite the late start this year!

Looking good T. My wife would love those tin pots with the dragonflies. :thumbup:

An update on my little yard. I got it mowed today. After being gone for a week and six days of rain, it was a bit tall. Going to seed in some spots.

A6821345-DEFD-4F52-8389-FA8CDF0752B6_zpshl7uflca.jpg

6770540E-6490-41DF-9696-66DB517740EE_zpsa0dqyiem.jpg

BFC7BF9A-8AF8-406B-984F-3BC431CA5697_zpsutngdayy.jpg

Rupestris: The Columbine looks great. The stuff re-seeds itself and you are likely to have it popping up all over the place. I like it. Looks like you have lots of room to play.

Taldesta, your Geraniums have really grown and just in time for planting. I noticed you mentioned your first hummingbird. I usually see my first during the first week of April here. This year has been strange. I have seen one hummingbird in my yard on May 4th and have not seen one since. I have a feeder out that I religiously change the nectar weekly since late March..... just about ready to give up as I am just wasting sugar.

Added: Just when I announced that I am going to take down my hummer feeder, I saw one today after my post above. Amazing.

Another thought: You know how everyone or most everyone wants big trees in their yards. First thing you do landscaping wise on a brand new treeless house is plant some trees. Years go by and then all of a sudden you decide there is too much shade and the grass won't grow. So, you pay someone a small fortune to cut your trees down.....

Last edited:
Onions are looking good, Rich.

I know you're in a very urban area and I don't know how you're fixed for mowing equipment, but the broken concrete walk sparked an idea. Have you considered a low, relatively maintenance free ground cover like Thyme?

I'd put a few more pavers or some slate pieces out there and fill the rest with Thyme or Creeping Jenny.

Groundcover.jpg

Creeping Jenny is going to grow much faster but likes to cover stuff up.

4746-Creeping-Jenny.jpg

I could have a ball with a small areal like yours. I like gardening and doing some decorating/landscaping but the time and cost keeps me from doing what I want to do to even my humble postage stamp lot.

Thanks for the update and keep 'em coming :thumbup:.

Onions are looking good, Rich.

I know you're in a very urban area and I don't know how you're fixed for mowing equipment, but the broken concrete walk sparked an idea. Have you considered a low, relatively maintenance free ground cover like Thyme?

I'd put a few more pavers or some slate pieces out there and fill the rest with Thyme or Creeping Jenny.

Groundcover.jpg

Creeping Jenny is going to grow much faster but likes to cover stuff up.

4746-Creeping-Jenny.jpg

I could have a ball with a small areal like yours. I like gardening and doing some decorating/landscaping but the time and cost keeps me from doing what I want to do to even my humble postage stamp lot.

Thanks for the update and keep 'em coming :thumbup:.

That's a good idea have to think about it. Thanks

Did some gardeningy type things last night, dug a 6 man grave and filled it with soil, guess tiger lilies and carrots are going in it. Gonna grow some stuff out of these crates too, not sure what yet. Stapled a bunch of cloth mesh between the boards after wards. Only thing growing out of ground that have seen is asparagus and chives so far. Was 30f plenty of days last week so still not good growing weather.

Looks like this thread needs some knife pics in it.

2BQG5dC.jpg

KCFmola.jpg

bXzDYVz.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! I was supposed to start this weekend. This is what I woke up to!
ac24f2f3f21801dfa08b95d9e735837c.jpg

Oh well, looks like it'll be quite the late start this year!

Definitely shared your pain ... again :eek: But, the blackflies do slow down when it snows. They are swarming as of yesterday. That means ... it looks like spring is actually here. Dress code is 'head to toe with hat and full-on repellant' ... and no mouth breathing unless wearing a bug jacket. Yeah! Come on dragon flies.

Looking good T. My wife would love those tin pots with the dragonflies. :thumbup:

An update on my little yard. I got it mowed today. After being gone for a week and six days of rain, it was a bit tall. Going to seed in some spots.

Hey! Your whole lawn looks thriving and, well, under control ... what's up with that - and are you sure you have a dog? Looking very fine, there. Here, it looks like a herd of moose ran through pooping quack grass. Finally swapped out the snowblower for the mower and got it going as things are getting 'mow' ready ... but I can still see the tall trees.

Those dragonfly containers are a nice solid gauge, a happy find at the ReStore (Habitat for Humanity). They are full of pansies (or will be ...knock on wood) :)

... Taldesta, your Geraniums have really grown and just in time for planting. I noticed you mentioned your first hummingbird. I usually see my first during the first week of April here. ...
Another thought: You know how everyone or most everyone wants big trees in their yards. First thing you do landscaping wise on a brand new treeless house is plant some trees. Years go by and then all of a sudden you decide there is too much shade and the grass won't grow. So, you pay someone a small fortune to cut your trees down.....

My friend will be very surprised when I plant geraniums this tall for her - 3 or four in each pot. Some new plants from seed and some over-wintered from last year.

I agree, trees are a big consideration. In the middle of many deciduous and evergreens here, yet finding shady parking near the house is a problem in summer. I put in one maple and one locust sapling summer before last but it will take years for them to mature put shade where I want it and then the groundcover will have to change. In other areas, spruce trees are heaving the walkway and actually slanting the huge poured concrete steps at the front entry to the house.

Onions are growing fast.

Onions near harvest and my lettuce is barely peeking through! You're miles ahead of anything I have in the garden. :thumbup:

Did some gardeningy type things last night ... Looks like this thread needs some knife pics in it.

Seems like you are having fun putting all this together. That's some hard work. Looking forward to what you decide to plant.

Sort of in keeping ... my pocket multi, the crucial, always with me around the property. Handy pry tip, pliers & cutters, serrations for dead-heading stalks. Here it earned its keep prying lumber staples and slicing roofing paper to line the entry garden.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A mouse, probably the one that inhabited the nest in the lavender plant nearby, has debarked and deadened half this little lilac.

Mom robin refurbished an old nest under eave shaded by trees. Thank goodness she is not guarding the front door to the house this spring. Whew.

Rhubarb is coming along

OK, plants are all happy outside for the day. Perhaps they can stay out tonight. :rolleyes:

So far my Rhubarb is looking pretty good, even with all the cold weather.

VbWlSga.jpg

Nj0pSkq.jpg

I thought I'd show you guys how the blue ficus grass I planted last year filled in. I put in some daisy's this week; the ones I had last year have really taken off. I tend to put something in and see if it takes and then fill out the area with more of what works.

My Rhododendrons have really done well, except the big one I almost lost last year to the warm weather. I stuck in a few red twig dogwood along the back fence line and they seem to have taken. Just look like leafy twigs right now, but we'll see. Been thinning out the lilac (it was huge), and pulled a couple other bushes out. Going to have to transplant some azaelias somewhere down the line, and the Japanese Maples I thought I'd really trimmed back are going crazy and will need to be pruned again this winter. Have to get someone in for the tall stuff.

IMG_0557_zpsckoptj0z.jpg

That blue ficus grass looks great. I have a couple plants to set out. Not sure if it needs sun or shade at this point, but I'm thinking shade.

Have one tomato that is almost ripe. This is about two to three weeks earlier than usual and from one of the large potted plants I first set out. I could probably pick it now, but it would probably be like one of those FL greenhouse tomatoes you see all winter in the grocery stores. My onions are doing well and starting to go to seed. Been snipping the seed pods off. I need to start using them for cooking.

Added 5-31-16: Had my first ripe tomato about a week ago. Had relatives in for HS graduation and the one little girl was absolutely dying to pick that tomato. It was the first and hence would be a cause of some irritation. ;) I was impressed that the little 4 year old actually saw the tomato in the first place as it was really hidden inside the plant. Picked it and made BLT's. Had the second over the weekend. I really like garden grown tomatoes.

Pulled out my first batch of lettuce the second bath is all I need anyway. Green pepper plants are doing okay but space is limited and the tomatoes are starting to shade those plants. It has always been a problem in my little garden. I need more space, but I am not giving up my yard for the larger garden.

Noticed some large inexpensive plastic pots (not sure of the volume) at Ace Hardware the other day. Thinking of buying a couple and planting another couple of tomato plants but keeping them on my very sunny deck with a drain pan. This is about a month earlier than the ones I planted last year in pots (these pots are larger) that didn't impress me at all in terms of growth. The one thing I have noticed is that on the original large tomato plant, the soil s not as porus (probably regular potting soil) when watering and my regular garden soil plantings are catching up very very quickly.

It has been real dry here. Same thing happened last year in May and then the weather patterns shifted and had good rainfall for the rest of the summer. Almost to the point now of wanting to water my lawn. I resist. Rain predicted for Wed/Thur. Will wait and see on the water. I don't like to pay for water to water my yard. It can get expensive relatively speaking.

Last edited:
Good afternoon gardeners ... :D

The entry garden is just beginning to shape up. Those blackberry canes overhanging are loaded with blossoms to come. There's definitely a berry cobbler in my future if I can beat the birds and critters to them. Some pansies actually overwintered and are blooming in this garden already.

New guinea impatiens with white trailing bacopa. I truly enjoy the look of trailing plants ... even the ambitious creeping jenny that was all but totally ripped out when this garden was re-worked this spring. We will keep an eye on it!

Lumpy's patio on the left. Otherwise my porch oasis. Now a totally dog-free zone ... with real, green grass. After re-soddings and the application of bags of seed over the last two summers I was getting nowhere - a sad, spotty grass time - before the fence. There are a couple of low solar lights that bring the bugs that Lumpy enjoys. On the right is the 'dog watering station', a lovely cool space that keeps the pups from the river and which abuts the laneway aggregate where they can pee to their hearts' content. Win win win ... :thumbup:

Also in a dog-free zone is the monarch habitat. Higher fencing this year. The milkweed are actually moving in droves into the laneway aggregate and I will leave them this year. It is great to learn that the monarch numbers are rising again ...

Lower garden is mostly perennials with a 'horseshoe' of bulbs for spring/then annuals for summer on left. Still a lot of pruning and cleanup to do ... but managing the grass is not high on my list just now.

The tall tree-like growth is caragana grown from Saskatchewan seeds. I have planted seedlings from this one to shade the shop window and elsewhere here. It grows like mad. The honey bees love its yellow blooms. Beautiful locust-like foliage.

Trilliums fading, blackflies seem to be over ... hahaha ... mostly. Mosquitoes plentiful and feeding the dragonflys

When the grass is left long in this area, the forget-me-not and violas have a chance to shine.

Wild columbine by the shop. It has been so dry that a number of the plants growing on a grade that sheds water just aren't blooming.

Lumpy's personal favourite solar light. A jar of fireflys that are amazingly lifelike as each one glows on and off ...

'Til next time ... watching to see what's happening in your garden

Garden folk's my onions are growing like crazy should I cut the greens down a bit ? They are Walla Walla's .

Don't believe trimming onions is a good choice. The stalks look healthy and hopefully growing onions below. Mine look pretty good too. I guess the larger onions are maybe 2" in diameter at the top. Told my wife to start using them for cooking when she needs an onion.

Just noticed some white peeking out I will leave them alone . French onion soup in my future. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back