2016 Gardens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we are flowering so just a matter of time before I'm eating tomato sandwiches. What's a mushroom compost we use chicken poop and lawn clippings
Tomato sandwiches are great when you get the maters out of your own garden. Mushroom compost is the stuff mushroom farms mix up from horse manure, straw and some other stuff to grow mushrooms in caves. It is used one time and then taken out and replaced for the next crop of mushrooms. Since there are mushroom growers around my area, mushroom compost is available by the truck load (actually for free if you have a truck. Don't kow if it is free anymore as it has been 15 years since I got a load directly from the source.), but I get mine at a nursery in bulk. Good stuff and not as rich as chicken poo. Chicken poo is too rich as it comes....

Right on man learn something new everyday thanks for the info. Man I love this thread like to see others who enjoy what I love

Here's a few of my tomatoes. They are just getting some to form, the biggest is about 3" across. I had to put them up close to keep the deer from eating them. Used worm castings and compost. Gallon milk jug shown for scale.

e81lip.jpg

Nice tomatoes, Jill. It's funny.... growing up the family had about 100 tomato plants in the garden or what we called "the patch". The garden was for smaller scale plantings. The plants were never staked up or put inside cages and they did just fine. Staked tomatoes were to make picking them easier years ago. Now I use concrete wire cages and try to squeeze more into a given gardening space. My tomato plants are about 4 to 5 feet tall right now. And do they have more fruit on them compared to no stakes or cages.... probably not. But it's fun.

That's why you put straw down as a weed barrier and to reduce the rotting potential. My Dad started using newspaper. Never really liked the look, but it seemed to have worked and it's probably better than throwing old papers away. In the spring, they are mostly rotted and you just till them into the soil.

Freaking Moles! Watered late last night (don't have to very often but it's been a week since we had rain) and the moles just tore the center of my yard up like a race track. It's always something around here.

I don't have a dog, so all the cats in the neighborhood think my yard is theirs. Add the fact i do have bird feeders and it's rare not to have a cat in the yard. Often have other critters too. One big raccoon loves my hot tub cover for napping. Just going to be spreading castor oil over the place for a couple days.

Summer is

Filling up the biggest salad spinner you own from the garden (here - lettuce, swiss chard, basil, sweet peppers) and then ...

... the quiet enjoyment of early breakfast on the porch (disclaimer - not my own tomatoes ... not yet :D )

I see lots of great posts above! :)

Freaking Moles! Watered late last night (don't have to very often but it's been a week since we had rain) and the moles just tore the center of my yard up like a race track. It's always something around here.

My daughter in Florida just sent me pics of baby armadillos digging up her lawn. Cute, but lots of holes left behind. I think it's always something everywhere ! :eek:

Finally took some pics!

The main garden is very recent. Covered it with a weed barrier because I know I will not be able to keep up on the wedding this year. Tomatoes and hot peppers have been in for much longer. Both are going strong. Peppers started going nuts with new growth over the last week. Close up pot is my main basil. For some reason the damn squirrels are digging in this pot every day, but only this pot so that is okay.

XHEQPlTh.jpg

nMmOPiyh.jpg

DmJfprUh.jpg

HMJCAz5h.jpg

pe6UFlgh.jpg

PxXjU81h.jpg

Ts50dLGh.jpg

KFf2DwWh.jpg

1NY1U1zh.jpg

sOYGyeKh.jpg

9rAtFURh.jpg

Things look really good Craytab. I think your peppers are doing better than mine and mine have been in the ground since mid-April. I think it has to do with the heat we have been having. Small peppers are just shriveling up and falling off the plant. Yes, I water too.

Yeah I'll take a few pics tomorrow everything is doing great. Next yeah I'm doing a barrier cloth also I hate to weed. We water 2 times a day morning and before bed.

Very impressive gardeners - wow!

Just thinking about all my wishing in early spring ... that the living room wasn't being taken over by coffee cans filled with leggy seedlings :D

Mostly a variety of plants from seed, stem cuttings, overwintered roots and corms started indoors ... some from garden centre. My little patio oasis.

Nasturtiums ...

Cali, nasturtium, fuschia blooms

Verbena, lobelia and petunia. Notice pansy pot on right. Yup. Lumpy was a regular, apparently hydrating during a lengthy dry spell ... not around since the last good rainfall. :thumbup:

First pansy from seed. Yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back