2017 Blade Show • Passion + Talent = Growth!

Insane hamon on this one. Anders did good here!

orig.jpg

This thread has too much awesomeness, it's overwhelming!
That's how I felt about the ENTIRE show experience. Especially the 'overwhelming' part. LOL!

Stay planted. You ain't seen nuthin'.... ;) I just finished (3) Japanese makers. OMG.

Roger: It's quite possible it's available.

Thanks, Coop, great images as usual. Some amazing workmanship, it just seems to get better and better!

This Ron Lake standout only LOOKS like the rest. It was HUGE. Almost a five inch blade. That and his *usual* impeccable fit and finish. I love the sunken gold pins. This was SOLD twice: to a dealer, then a client.

orig.jpg

A historical Bowie by Paul Brach, JS, with wonderful carved casting by Mark J. Hopper.

orig.jpg

The International clients came to me with FORCE! Let's begin:

Philippe Jourget from France offered a stratified material folder with VERY clean lines.

orig.jpg

The crowd favorite is ALWAYS Raphael Durand. He makes the 'simple' lockback look like perfection. Note the checkered screws throughout.
orig.jpg

That, and you get a nice pouch. Who landed this one? Speak up!

orig.jpg

When Hideke Hayashida and friends came by I was smitten with their work. This one has some historical story involving each of the four sides and the figures. I had NO idea how I was going to show it, but I shot them all and said to myself "I'll figure it out later.... NEXT!" (He loved it.)

orig.jpg

Leading them to me was longtime client Mamoru Shigeno. His carbon fiber fighter is as tight as a Veyron in precision. I used a bland color so that RED would jump and grab your attention. GOTCHA!
orig.jpg

Junpei Makkari: A young maker who spoke very little English presented this MASSIVE INTEGRAL RWL Big Bear tribute. (This took some work to capture and edit properly, but that's how we roll.)

orig.jpg

I have more, but I have not heard back from clients. I'll post once I'm approved to move ahead!

this thread deserves a place at the top for awhile

Thank you, Lorien. :)

Bob Ohlemann
is a favorite around BF. The meteorite adds an otherworldly interest to his smart folder.

orig.jpg

I only wish I could have spent more time chatting with Keith Fludder (KeithF) from Australia! He creates the whole package. Talented!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Buddy and I laughed when we discussed Mardi Meshejian's work. We remarked "The STRANGEST knives I think we will ever see from him would be his traditional JS test set." He has never made a 'classic' knife that I have witnessed. Nor should he. :)

orig.jpg

Last edited:
...See what I mean?

orig.jpg

I have long marveled at the cleanliness of Larry Newton's folders. He's an expert in gold inlays and filework, among other aspects.
orig.jpg

He's also renowned for his quick autos. Exhibit A.

orig.jpg

Luke Swenson is one of the solid Texas makers who excel in traditional folders. A rare lockback!

orig.jpg

There is NOTHING subtle about this folder. Ron Best has created a following and a genre of knives in his VERy recognizable style. Total success. (He and his family are some of the finest people on the planet.) ;)

orig.jpg

Ummmm, speaking of recognizable and 'unsubtle' folders, Brian Tighe says "I have you covered."

orig.jpg

There is no getting around it. This design is a KNOCKOUT!

orig.jpg

The music just changed to classic oldies. Mastersmith Steve Randall presents his oval guard ladder pattern and stag bowie with the tried and true oval guard.

orig.jpg

Schuyler Lovestrand has always had his sleek look to his fixed blades. The more you study this, the more you will appreciate the lines.

orig.jpg

New maker Jason Overall (Larevo Knives) is making his way to the front. Here are three examples of his climbing status.

orig.jpg

Jim Hammond looks too young to have been making knives for 40 years. His skills sure reflect his tenure! This model is his venerable 'Cruiser' (Pro-Tip: I have one in ironwood with checkered scales!)

orig.jpg

I know what you're thinking: "Now, THOSE are cool!" I concur!

orig.jpg

And to show he can make the finest utility/hunter, he used the most grippy stag, and brought out MS Michael Collins to do some expert engraving.

orig.jpg

Another maker who is held in the highest of esteem: Joe Szilaski, MS was one of the judges for the ABS testing. His hawks are legendary. (I submit this was the hardest one to capture and then edit so far. it only looks easy. LOL!)

orig.jpg

Don't be shy. Talk about the knives. I need no more thanks.

Thanks for viewing. More tomorrow.

I wish I could have met Mardi. We said hi to each other in passing but never had a chance to talk. I love how different his style is... pretty sure he is an alien.

Keith Fludder's black Persian blade looks fantastic... but the real treat was picking it up.... wow! was it ever light in the hand!

I check my mail 45 times a day, Coop! just sayin'

Emails sent....

No content promised though. :p

Back