2017 Blade Show • Passion + Talent = Growth!

Tom Ploppert continues to impress with his pristine traditionals. Here's a pair with matching scales and an unusual display!
orig.jpg

Ben Seward's knives are renowned around here. I'm thankful this one landed in my studio to capture!
orig.jpg

Lee McDowell: These miniature hatchet and axe's really made us smile in delight!
orig.jpg

Matt Gregory may come off like a prankster (he is!) yet he's DEAD SERIOUS in his ability to craft powerful knives. This is a matching combo and I was saddled with given the task of showing the knife and bullwhip together. DONE!
orig.jpg

Exhibit B.
orig.jpg

Rick Marchand forged this BIG tribal dagger with warm historic materials and modern talent. @ 18.5" long it's a BEAST!

orig.jpg

Rock star Mastersmith Jason Knight stuns the viewers with his version of a 'Barsoom' fighter. It's got JK appointments throughout. (Dudley is smiling broadly!! ;))
orig.jpg

Tony Hughes, JS is now working with damascus and forged guards. Advanced work!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

...as is Russell Roosevelt, JS who can stand two arm's length away and still scratch your nose with this one. :eek:
orig.jpg

What a pair!
orig.jpg

Rick Poirier has the BEST initials and he uses his moniker to his benefit.

orig.jpg

Now that John Doyle gets into folders, one would think he's been at it for years. He's always been one to watch, and now doubled his interested viewers!
orig.jpg

Tony Karlsson from Sweden enters with his Scandinavian smart and efficient design sense.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

What a sweet package.
orig.jpg

(I took a half day off today to play at the park with my family. I've been going non-stop days for over two weeks. If you are awaiting your images, I understand. I appreciate the patience.)

Stunning images, Coop! I know the passion and talent you put into digitally capturing these beautiful and well-executed knives. Thanks pal.
Personal stand-outs:
- Tony Karlsson gets where new high-end tactical money is headed.
- Best to have and hold by far; Jason Knight's fullered fighter. Damn that knife made me feel invincible!

Keith Fludder @keithf continues to impress us from a world away. He's from Australia, and I feel the waves all the way to CT!
orig.jpg

And coming in from the east over the Atlantic from England is Grace Horne. She decided to do something not common at Blade!
orig.jpg

THIS nice little 'cigar' clipper won 'Most Innovative Design'. :)
orig.jpg

Mike Tyre grabbed some VERY earthy mammoth and produced his folder with additional work by Joe Mason.
orig.jpg

Rockstar Mastersmith Jason Knight has a few signature looks. This handle, this blade, and that fuller all look Deadly. This knife will KIIIILL! ;)
orig.jpg

Shayne Carter looks WELL on his way to climbing the MS ladder. I say, keep your eyes focused on him.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Scott Matsuoka is one of the many GREAT makers from Hawaii, and his folders are always a pleasure to operate and capture.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Tobin Hill really WOWS us with his warm saddlehorn trapper. You ought to be able to tell from the GREAT filework he's from Texas!
orig.jpg

These timascus integral arms are a standout for Eldon Talley on his balisong.
orig.jpg

One part rancher, two parts knifemaker = A recipe for success. Richard Rogers never fails to capture our desire with his modern methods, materials, and styles.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I'm in love.... :)
orig.jpg

I have more to post. Much more. I'll come back later this evening. Thanks for viewing.

Those of you who listened to my interview a few months back will recall what I said was a GROWING MARKET: Chef's knives. (Those and Tacticals appeal to the Urban market.)

Here's an array from some makers who are all aboard this train!

Don Nguyen combines facets and curves in his ergo handle along with wispy hamon.

orig.jpg

Will Manning takes a darker approach to his blade, with some purple heart wood.
orig.jpg

Bill Greulich goes for variety in his lineup. :)
orig.jpg

Not quite as long but trying hard, is this gents folder from Cliff Parker.
orig.jpg

A rare framelock from the talented Enrique Pena. This says 'Military' to me!
orig.jpg

Bill Greulich again, with a fine snakewood utility. Some Paul Long goodness laying low... ;)
orig.jpg

Derick Kemper
crafted this Rigging set with a TON of work. Octopus, tall ship, spike, and sheeps foot blade.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Tom Overeynder and Joe Mason are collaborators to show this boudoir theme. Ooolala!
orig.jpg

Chad Nell calls this his 'New York Flipper' (NYF). He sold 12 of them in 60 minutes. Haters gonna hate! ;)
orig.jpg

Michael West
came over from Denmark to offer this smarty utility. I scratched my head and took a BUNCH of shots and thought "I'll figure it out later..." Well, here you go! (He loved it.)
orig.jpg

Rubem Lorenz hails from Brazil and came with a LONG fighter. He cuts out the steel and replaces it with GOLD. That's the little inset from the butt end of the handle.
orig.jpg

'Best New Maker' goes to Phil Jacob from Texas. They sure got that right!
orig.jpg

I'd never met Brett Noake before. Eyes WIDE open, now!
orig.jpg

Longtime heralded Mastersmith James Rodebaugh brought a small utility hunter. This has it ALL!
orig.jpg

I'm STILL trying to figure out how Shane Taylor, MS added the gold into the steel. Magical!
orig.jpg

There's room at the TOP for others, But you will have to side next to Jerry Fisk, MS. He's got a solid stance up there. :)
orig.jpg

Jerry Fisk makes a small wood-handled Sendero look spectacular with his 'Dogstar' steel and his scratchin'. (There's Paul Long again!)
orig.jpg

I have more. Enjoy too many servings and you'll get fat. ;)

I had the privilege of capturing some of John Horrigan, MS's work. Terrific!
orig.jpg

How about a hunting saber? WOW!
orig.jpg

New maker Jason Luhmer knows what the current climate of dress tacticals ought to include.
orig.jpg

Collector and maker Kevin Cross keeps his hands dirty and his work clean with his chef's knives.
orig.jpg

You can always count on John Cohea to give you a startling package! This one has all the elements, including a bear jaw handle. YIKES!
orig.jpg

Good ol' RWL chute knives, done to perfection by Gary Martindale.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Javier Vogt
from Argentina was truly making some headspinningly-beautiful pieces. He incorporated his opening and closing locks in the end guards. I found them SO refreshingly unique!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Even his flipper has a funky liner-lock up on the backspine. He's.... different.
orig.jpg

Michael Raymond has taken his highly regarded integral folders to watchmaking precision. The machinists among you are looking VERY closely with a headshaking motion. ;)
orig.jpg

Larry Hostetler (Hoss Knives) has his wife do the engraving and this one opens FAST with a bolster release. (His mentor is Mike 'Whiskers' Allen and you can see the influences!)
orig.jpg

I know at least ONE viewing member is smiling broadly at this understated beauty from Wess Barnhill.
orig.jpg

Stephen Fowler always makes it to my studio on Sundays. He's always a pleasure! So are his mature builds. Check THESE out!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Hey Bubba! Bubba Crouch has been waiting for a while to show you his folders, and you can see why he's excited. :thumbsup: This Texan maker is making waves of followers!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Everything about this small fighter from Scott MacCaughtry says 'quality'.
orig.jpg

Bill Tuch makes Susan and I laugh with his visits and understated sarcasm. There is no understatement in his folders, though. WOW this leaps out at you!
orig.jpg

John Bartlow lives in Wyoming and makes knives which would be appropriate for that state!
orig.jpg

The skinner cutout has a 'bit o' gold' in it.
orig.jpg

KC Gray hails from Texas and makes a BIG statement with his flipper folders. This one steps on your feet marching to the front... Outamyway!
orig.jpg

Veteran ABS Mastersmith Ray Rybar created the MOST incredible short sword (Cinquedea!) He won the ABS Bill Moran Award, and I'd say, VERY deservedly. His knives are usually WAYYY out there in artistry, but this one is simply captivating and superbly executed. Congratulations!
orig.jpg

I've known Johnny Stout all my knife years, even before I started shooting photos. What a privilege to capture one of his traditional pearl trappers!
orig.jpg

Last edited:
US Military retired veteran James Hoffman is a BIG illustrious guy and we all fell in love with his personality and his traditionally historic knives. He does everything from Kydex utilities (shown here) and long historic replicas. (His work can be found at HoffmanHausKnives.com)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

What a guy!

Back