2017 Summer Kitchen KITH.

Willie71

Warren J. Krywko
I spoke with Timos who ran the kith last year, and he's too busy to do it this year. If there's interest, I'll run it. I'm thinking being finished September 1st. It'll be open to everyone, and any type of kitchen knife, excepting paring knives. If you are going to do smaller knives, like steak knives, maybe do a pair, rather than a single knife.

If you are wondering what this is all about, here is the rules thread from last year:
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/kitchen-knife-kith-summer-2016-sept-5th-deadline.1393099/

Here's a link to the completed knives last year.
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/kitchen-knife-kith-2016-im-ready-thread.1415078/

So, if there's interest, I'll post up the rules, and we'll have some fun. Post "I'm in, I'll have a knife ready for September 1st."

Edit: for the newer guys: a general guideline is knives between 5-10" long, forged or stock removal is fine. If you've only done a couple, and aren't sure of geometry, a full flat grind works well, (some use d-grinds, chisel grinds, s-grinds, or various offset grinds etc.) less than 0.010" before sharpening, with 0.005" or less being considered a fine edge, (although some applications may differ). Most of us use 1/8" (0.125") stock or thinner, and with 1/8", a distal taper is recommended. These aren't"rules" but just basic recommendations if you aren't sure. I do most in 3/32". No one expects perfection, but do your best on fit and finish. This is an inclusive project, and the most important thing is to do your personal best. Newer members learn from more experienced members. To me, that is the main point. I want to give back to a community that shared a lot of knowledge with me.

A saya, stand, or sheath is strongly recommended. Don't hesitate to,pm or email me if you have any questions.

People interested: (only committed if complete by Midnight 01 September 2017.)

Kuraki
MNavarro
Currenthill
Timos
AlaskanHunter
Geoff Flato
Stacy E. Apelt
BartlettBlades
Brock Cutlery
Willie71 (Warren)
Kevin McGovern
xXBackyardCrafterXx
Milk baby
Jay Griesser
Skillgannon
Steve Beckwith
autogateman
Greenbergwoods
Fish30114
Jdm61

If I missed you, send me a message.

Warren

Last edited:
If I had my shop set up I would be in, going to have to wait till the winter kith. I won't be leaving it in my car this year to get stolen... :mad:

I will try and get something together for this!

Will last minute "I'm in and I have a knife ready" be acceptable? I badly want to be in on this one, but considering that this is the busiest season for my work, I have pretty high odds of not making it by the deadline. If that's ok, I'll try to have one ready but wait to post my "I'm in" until its actually ready.

Warren, I added the KITH info to your post.

I think I will be able to do something by September.

I'm in. And Stromberg Knives Stromberg Knives I have a son that lives in Sweden and I often send him large heavy packages that usually run 40 to 60 USD to send. I'm sure a knife would weigh and cost much less to send. If you want to PM me your address I could check and see how much shipping would be, I think that's the only thing that the person sending a knife to you would worry about.

The only other thing to keep in mind is handle materials
Since January all Rosewoods (including cocobolo and African Blackwood) are technically a no go without documentation and a CITES permit. A lot of things slip through, but if the wrong customs agent decides to open the package there is a very good chance of the knife being siezed.
I've stopped offering Rosewood handles outside of Canada for that reason. And that really stung seeing as 95% of my work was Rosewood and I have a massive stockpile of it.

Warren, I added the KITH info to your post.

I think I will be able to do something by September.

Thanks. I've been dealing with a family custody case and just got a break now.

There's enough interest, and I'll compile who is in hopefully later today, and update it daily.

Will last minute "I'm in and I have a knife ready" be acceptable? I badly want to be in on this one, but considering that this is the busiest season for my work, I have pretty high odds of not making it by the deadline. If that's ok, I'll try to have one ready but wait to post my "I'm in" until its actually ready.

Yes, no commitment until September 1st. Usually 1/2 to 2/3 of the people interested drop out. Life gets in the way, or we procrastinate too long.

I'm a rank newbie, so I don't know if I could pass muster for a kith with y'all. But I am a kitchen knife fanatic, does that count for anything?

Would this knife be acceptable to participate? I know there are things I would change if I were to do it again, but that's part of the learning process? I'm in if y'all think it's acceptable enough.

pX6Eh5xl.jpg

XCRYOchl.jpg

I'm a rank newbie, so I don't know if I could pass muster for a kith with y'all. But I am a kitchen knife fanatic, does that count for anything?

Would this knife be acceptable to participate? I know there are things I would change if I were to do it again, but that's part of the learning process? I'm in if y'all think it's acceptable enough.

pX6Eh5xl.jpg

XCRYOchl.jpg

Yes, that's a fine knife.

Back