2nd. and 3rd. completed

I was working on my second knife sheath when my good friend and his wife stopped over last week to show my family his new cat he rescued from the shelter. He said "I didn't know you did leather" I told him I'm just starting. A few hours later he came back with 2 new axe's he just purchased. He's a forester/logger, and the tools of the trade don't last him very long. Most importantly, the sheath. He begged me to make one for each as the one's that come with the axe last him about a month. So, I gave it some thought and this is what I came up with.
Both are wet formed with a pivot strap system. I added an additional pivot strap to the stud side of the snap so both snaps can be replaced down the road if needed. I'm pretty sure these sheaths will last a long time. Thanks for looking.
Fox7E6w.jpg

s2TzfPx.jpg

The original sheaths. Really cheap quality and thin leather.
Js5Wohq.jpg

qRQEC25.jpg

4MVogC5.jpg

qSPgsUt.jpg

YAWU9X7.jpg

K0tXrXO.jpg

MBpWdC4.jpg

Z6mE9Hm.jpg

Last edited:
Again, really impressive. I am especially impressed with how well the edges are finished. You have a very near flawless edge even where the welt dies in the bend area.
Well done!

Chris

Extremely impressive and high quality work. I can't find anything to suggest that would make them better. Be proud!

Edited to add a thought: I keep seeing "just started leather work" etc. Your work makes that a little hard to swallow........but if you say so, I guess it's okay:rolleyes:.....any way when you do get some experience you're going to be Hell on wheels!!!

Paul

Last edited:
Extremely impressive and high quality work. I can't find anything to suggest that would make them better. Be proud!

Edited to add a thought: I keep seeing "just started leather work" etc. Your work makes that a little hard to swallow........but if you say so, I guess it's okay:rolleyes:.....any way when you do get some experience you're going to be Hell on wheels!!!

Paul

Thanks for the continued compliments. Paul, please don't take this the wrong way. I don't know how to take your edited post. Yes, I'm brand new to leather work and have all the start-up receipts. These are my first, and only three leather projects ever. I have no reason to tell any story but what I've shared here with the members. I gain absolutely nothing at all from it.
I just felt comfortable posting on this forum, and share what I created with you folks. All I hope for is for one person to see what can be accomplished when one is moved as I am about starting leather work. As of now, you will not see these sheaths anywhere else on the internet. I wish I had the extra money to get a stamp made like everyone else who creates and completes leather projects. I wish I had the money to purchase your DVD's.
I just like what I like, and have been very meticulous throughout life, sometimes to a fault. I couldn't even think about selling what I've made. It would come out to about $5.00 per hour with the amount of time I've spent to make each sheath the best I possibly can. Seeing the work on this forum inspires me even more. Since finding this sub forum, and had the opportunity to see your work, I've Googled your name at least 20 different times over the last week to drool over your creations that's available on the internet. I think I've looked at every one of your sheaths I've seen 100 times.
You Sir, are an inspiration to me, just like the first Ian Atkison video I watched on Youtube that got me excited about giving it a shot.
With all my best.
Vin

Again, really impressive. I am especially impressed with how well the edges are finished. You have a very near flawless edge even where the welt dies in the bend area.
Well done!

Chris

Thanks you once again Chris. I really appreciate your feedback.

Vin

Thanks for the continued compliments. Paul, please don't take this the wrong way. I don't know how to take your edited post. Yes, I'm brand new to leather work and have all the start-up receipts. These are my first, and only three leather projects ever. I have no reason to tell any story but what I've shared here with the members. I gain absolutely nothing at all from it.
I just felt comfortable posting on this forum, and share what I created with you folks. All I hope for is for one person to see what can be accomplished when one is moved as I am about starting leather work. As of now, you will not see these sheaths anywhere else on the internet. I wish I had the extra money to get a stamp made like everyone else who creates and completes leather projects. I wish I had the money to purchase your DVD's.
I just like what I like, and have been very meticulous throughout life, sometimes to a fault. I couldn't even think about selling what I've made. It would come out to about $5.00 per hour with the amount of time I've spent to make each sheath the best I possibly can. Seeing the work on this forum inspires me even more. Since finding this sub forum, and had the opportunity to see your work, I've Googled your name at least 20 different times over the last week to drool over your creations that's available on the internet. I think I've looked at every one of your sheaths I've seen 100 times.
You Sir, are an inspiration to me, just like the first Ian Atkison video I watched on Youtube that got me excited about giving it a shot.
With all my best.
Vin

Well, Vin,the edited post was tongue in cheek. I am so impressed with your attention to the finest details. I truly believe you are just starting out, but somehow your starting point is about half way around the track, compared to other novices.
Just keep on doing what you are doing because it is great.

About my videos., I don't own the rights to them and I also don't sell them, but I do have a few here in the shop. (I just checked and the only title I have on hand is the last DVD which is "Folder Sheaths") Any way if you will contact me off line at my personal email, or send me an email through BLade Forums and provide me with your mailing address I'll send you a complimentary copy of that DVD.

Paul

You're edges are beautiful. I know you hand sand up to 400 grit. Anything else special about how you do it? (Damp or dry, etc.?)

You're edges are beautiful. I know you hand sand up to 400 grit. Anything else special about how you do it? (Damp or dry, etc.?)

Yes, I sand hand sand up to 400 grit. I use the yellow sandpaper. I go in one direction. I only sand when the leather is completely dry. Once I dye the edges, I use a blow dryer for few minutes and let it dry overnight. I found that it is much easier and I get better results this way over sanding wet or damp edges. I used the black wet/dry sandpaper at first when the leather was damp and certain areas of the edges were turning a light black color from the paper. So I stopped sanding damp and using black paper. I spend a lot of time sanding the edges. Watch what the leather is doing as you sand. You will see the fine threads get smaller and turn into little balls. Keep sanding until they start to disappear before moving on to the next grit. When burnishing, I stick my finger in hot water and run it over the edge. I get it moist. Then I start out rubbing lightly with the wood burnisher. After several passes I increase the speed and pressure.
I think your problem by looking at the photo of the sheath you posted on 3/28/17 is the quality of the leather. The underside appears real hairy. It's hard to tell for sure in the photo. I think if you bought a higher quality veg tan, you would see better results. Here's 2 photos of the stuff I bought. I don't know how well you can see it. I hope this helps.

rAOpB9Z.jpg

AhycloL.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, and for clarifying that you are sanding when dry. (That's how I approached mine last weekend when I worked on improving my efforts). I do have plans to buy better leather--you are not the first person to make the observation that part of my problem appears to be due to the quality of what I'm working with.

Looking forward to seeing your next project.

Amy

Great work keep it up and you will be the person everybody goes to for advise.

Nice job and excellent edges as has been mentioned. Keep on doing what you're. doing. Just kind of a personal thing not a right or a wrong deal, I feel a creaser adds a touch of professionalism or finsh to a project. Something for ya to consider. Particularlyon all the strap work here. also I like the pivot strap idea well done.

Hi Amy, You're welcome. Would like to see your next project with better leather. I'm sure you'll see a difference.

Vin

Thanks Tom, I appreciate it. I think all you folks have the advise part covered. There's a huge amount of talent and experience here.

Thanks Dave. Agreed, a creaser would look nice on the straps. I've been experimenting with an old butter knife. I just need to polish it a little more. It may work in the meantime.

Thats one tool where a cheap one works just as good as the more expensive one. Get that adjustable one from Tandy. Like 15 bucks or so. It has two edges one to stay off the edge of the leather (like a stiching groover) and the other to crease. Much easier particularly in strap work than a single creaser. I have the single creaser and several of the static preset double ones and I like using the adjustable one the best.

Thats it. Works great. Traditionally a creaser was warmed up with an alcohol lamp/burner. I don't do this I just watch my mositure content. Ya get that right and you will get long lasting sharp impressions.

Back