3-4 different blades for whittling. What to get?

I really shouldn't buy more knives, but what would you recommend?

At least 3,5 inches, carbon steel, at least 3 blades. Also I don't want to spend to much, not a GEC this time, because I don't know if I'm going to like a knife with that many blades.

It'll be used for whittling, and I want to be able to do a lot of different work with this one knife, so blade shapes that are useful for that are needed.

Any suggestions?

Boker has an excellent whittler model in carbon steel. Three blades, made in Germany, and under fifty dollars. Closed length is 3-1/2". :thumbup:
This example has washboard bone handles, but it's available in other materials too.

280WBB%5Bmedium%5D.1324649692.jpg

That looks useful. How do you guys think a similar knife with a big spear along with the other blade would be?

I don't know much about what's useful for whittling, I've just done it without having any special knives for it.

I have the very same knife that Fausto recommendeted and it would make a great whittling knives, at least imo. (if I would whittle)

Is that Boker congress made in Germany? Does it have carbon steel?

I found anotboer congress on gpknives, but it has 2 sheepfoot blades, and it was not in carbon steel.

110720%5Blarge%5D.1355418172.jpg

The one I own is made in Solingen, Germany at least it is said on the tangstamp and on the shield as well. The blades are made of carbon steel. :)

The one you are showing says Böker on the tang stamp and on the shield.

I like individual knives for whittling. I made these up from an old wreck of a hammer brand knife. The blades can be altered in shape from the back down and pinned through the pivot holes.

Best regards

Robin
13315758434_6a8cf9a31f.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

13315558803_b945e63ac0.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I use a stockman for whittling. In carbon, and for cheap, I'd recommend a medium Case stockman. Mine has a pen blade instead of the spey, but YMMV. This one started out red until I dyed it. It is 3.25 inches with two springs and easily disappears in the pocket. I also sharpened the three blades at different angles for whittling.
null_zpsf9c8f740.jpg

I just completed my first whittling project, a dolphin's head on pine 2x2, and the only knife I used for the whole thing was the pictured #33 Conductor Whittler.

1stWhittle_zps268da660.jpg~original

This is a 3⅜" closed knife, and I used the 2.4" clip main blade for everthing but the mouth and eyes. I think something slightly larger would be more comfortable, say in the 3¾ to 4 inch range. The 1095 carbon steel performed beautifully. Something like this Boker Congress Whittler would be excellent, with it's spey, coping, pen and sheepfoot blades.

BokerCongWhit_zps47b33057.jpg~original

That looks useful. How do you guys think a similar knife with a big spear along with the other blade would be?

I don't know much about what's useful for whittling, I've just done it without having any special knives for it.

For general use, I absolutely prefer a spear point. But for wood carving, I think there's times you'll appreciate the extra-pointy tip of that clip blade.

If you'd like a 4-blade congress from Boker, that's made in Germany with carbon steel, that's offered in their beer-barrel and Appaloosa bone series. About fifty bucks.

BO-7474BBL-200-5464.jpg

There's also this special Boker, the Congress Carver. Carbon steel, made in Germany, about $60, and four distinctly different blade shapes.
BO-5465.jpg

I actually got the Boker Congress Carver as a groomsman present and it is very nice. Designed by a wood carver, it has half stops on three blades and medium pulls on all four. Blade shapes are good, overall it came sharp but one of the blades really needs reprofiling. Handles are very comfortable.

I also have one of those Boker Congress Carvers. I like it a lot, but at some point when I'm whittling, I want a pointy clip blade to get into small spots. I don't think you can go wrong with a stockman pattern. You have a pointy clip, a straight edge, and a curved edge. If you get a Boker, look for one that says Solingen on the shield. Those are the ones made in Germany. Great carbon steel :thumbup:

I've been looking for the Boker Carver's Congress and can't find one in stock anywhere. It's delayed by the manufacturer everywhere I've looked.
I find a Rough Rider Sowbelly Stockman just about perfect as an inexpensive whittler for a novice carver (but an experienced whittler), like me. I put one to work on solid ash and the steel impressed me with its edge-holding ability. They do come sharp enough to use for whittling and a butcher's steel brings the edge back quickly, if you use it before the blade gets too dull.

What is a coping blade?

The boker congress carver would be better if it had a clip point instead of the big blade on the left. Sorry I do not know the name of that blade.

What is a coping blade?

The boker congress carver would be better if it had a clip point instead of the big blade on the left. Sorry I do not know the name of that blade.

Big blade on the left looks like a fat spear point, but some may interpret it as a spey blade. The second smaller blade on the left is your coping blade.

Back