$3 and I've got some work ahead of me

I was out and about and found a thrift store with an entire drawer of beat up old kitchen knives. I was able to find two that appealed to me. One is a chef's knife from Marshall Fields which i bought for nostalgia reasons. I intend to just clean this one up and use it. The other is an old cleaver with heavy patina, and a few rust spots. I'd like to clean the rust off of the cleaver without removing all of the patina. I would also like to replace the handle(which I have never attempted before). The cleaver engraving says forgecraft hi carbon.

Last edited:
First try replacing a handle, it went alright. The blade "cleaned up" nicely without getting too clean.

nice work....if you want to do any thinning of the bevels and dont have a grinder, look into using an Atoma diamond plate. They work well

Nice. My local thrifts just have cheap crappy stainless.
hi dark.
i totally agree
people love stainless--------------
some of these"imports" cant even stamp the alloy # there cause it is scrap'
non the less they also threw out the old crafted knives then whine forever that they will not stay sharp ha ha ha
no wonder!
but that is life , people buy whats easy to maintain.
Joe

Most often it is all junk but these are the 1% or less that I've been lucky to come across. They were at a Saint Vincent DePaul thrift store. There were a few other nice pieces there but they may have been too far gone to save.

Back