3 finger pinchy

Some friends showed me this supposedly common grip among chefs, where you pinch the knife with your index and thumb and then grip the handle regularly with the remaining 3 fingers. I wanted to make a knife that can only be gripped that way (mainly), seeing as how most would grip a regular full hand length handle with the 3 finger grip. My girlfriend Alysia's parents just bought one of the Bob Kramer production knives, which is really sweet and has this big wide belly and a nice slender tip, I sort of modeled this blade like that but shortened it up by about 1/3. 5160, still need to clean it then finish grind the bevel.

293158_4264603984296_149657912_n.jpg

293158_4264604064298_872646492_n.jpg

293158_4264604104299_555125865_n.jpg

293158_4264604144300_93128511_n.jpg

I really like the concept, maybe a little more refinement of style, but your execution is spot on! Personally, I think it could loose 3/8" - 1/2" off the blade edge vertically but the shape looks good to me.

-Xander

I like it a lot...the extra vertical height gives the knife more weight for more efficient slicing and chopping. The grip and high blade remind me of a classic Chinese chef's knife, although they tend to be thinner and rectangular without points.

I really like the shape, but I think I'd end up using that like an ulu, pinching between thumb and middle finger, index on the spine and not using the handle much. I have used that index/thumb pinch grip for years, but like the handle to rest against the pad of my palm for control.

Definitely interesting. Please bring one to Ashokan if possible so I can see how it feels in
the hand.

I generally use that grip for all longer cooking knives with a wide enough blade and have
often wondered why many of Japanese style knives people make have like a 6" handle.

It is very inviting; the pic makes me want to try it. Great distal taper! I hear Xander, but for my tastes I enjoy a wide blade for scooping up chopped material to toss in the pan.

I have always prefered to hold the knife by pinching the Sides of the handle [not blade ] whether I am cutting edge down or edge to the side. A boning knife is held many ways. You should have come over ,I would have given a lecture on knife usage !!

He makes knives but doesn't know how to use them ! AAAARRGGHH !!!

I like it Sam. i think next time i forge i'll have to make one for myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

Robert I know how to cut stuff up, just not all the special chef type moves, like I can throw a punch but no kung fu :D.

thanks Ed anytime I can inspire that rocks!

I look forward to seeing that finished and demonstrated, Sam. Beautiful taper and spine so far.

-Daizee

I like the concept, but I think it limits the use of the knife. As I understand (and I'm no master chef or kitchen knife user by any means), the point of having a 6" handle on a chef knife is to give you a variety of grips. Chopping, slicing, mincing, scooping, whatever....
I think it also adds some backward balance when using the heel of the blade to rock chop for instance.

Back