4.1 thread

I can't believe mine hasn't come yet?!

I think they're still catching up on some of the Factory 2nd 4.1 orders from October. It's nice when you actually receive them because they're awesome blades. Crossing my fingers for you and the rest of the guys still waiting that you'll get yours soon.

I can't believe mine hasn't come yet?!

It took a while for mine to come even thought the site said 30-60 days at the time of purchase. It will take some time for them to get your order built and shipped. I was quite annoyed at the time but as soon as I got the knife I fell in love with it and thought the wait was worth it.

It took a while for mine to come even thought the site said 30-60 days at the time of purchase. It will take some time for them to get your order built and shipped. I was quite annoyed at the time but as soon as I got the knife I fell in love with it and thought the wait was worth it.

That pretty much sums it up. All of us went through some annoyance because we were told 45-60 days and it took 4x that time, but once we had the knives in hand it was worth it. The one thing we can't really complain about it is the quality of the blades they ship to us. I do recommend that if people are impatient meaning they expect a company to deliver on time, than I'd wait for the secondary markets and pick one up at a higher cost. Those prices do range between $20 over buying direct to $200 over buying direct. All depends how bad you want it.

They shouldn't put ships within 90 days on there order page if they can't keep there word on the order,especially when the customer is paying up front and being lied to.NO EXCUSE for telling the Customer before ordering that the Customer will receive his merchandise within 90 days and then not delivering on that date.This Company has had plenty of time to straighten this out,they should tell you up front when you order 2nds that it is undetermined when you will receive your Paid in Full Up Front knife.

They shouldn't put ships within 90 days on there order page if they can't keep there word on the order,especially when the customer is paying up front and being lied to.NO EXCUSE for telling the Customer before ordering that the Customer will receive his merchandise within 90 days and then not delivering on that date.This Company has had plenty of time to straighten this out,they should tell you up front when you order 2nds that it is undetermined when you will receive your Paid in Full Up Front knife.

Do you have a 4.1 on order?

Funny, I purchased eight Survives waiting for my GSO 6. :)
Spyderco hasn't produced anything that will evict the Manix2 from my pocket. ;)

Any idea when the pre-sales might ship? All I can get from them is after the pre-orders. I placed my order in July of 2016 and I'm still waiting. It's been almost 10 months.

Survive has learned their lesson and tends not to give specific production deadlines.
As a one man shop (Guy has some help but as far as I know he personally works on every knife) running a fairly high production volume it is really hard to predict when a particular knife will ship.
I don't want to scare you but it took almost two years for Survive to ship the entire 4.7 production run, but a lot of that was finishing off the seconds.
The 4.1 has only been shipping in volume for a couple of months so it could be a while before all the orders are filled.
I got my hands on a 4.1 fairly early, and as they always say, it is a sweet knife and worth the wait.

Any idea when the pre-sales might ship? All I can get from them is after the pre-orders. I placed my order in July of 2016 and I'm still waiting. It's been almost 10 months.

my order is now just over 2 yrs ago and haven't received it yet so i'm guessing you have a long wait.

That is now acceptable customer service.
only having to wait over two years for delivery just because no specific delivery date was promised shows that survive does indeed have
customer service at the top of its list of priorities. wonderful company with wonderful knives. wonderful service. (BTW I own 4 gso knives but I bought them in the real world)

Last edited:
That is absolutely ridiculous horrible customer service

I'm guessing that JV3 skated in on the first of the preorders, or possibly the very tail end of an actual original starter order. Sulaco has a presale order, so in order of fulfillment on each model it is typical to see STARTER (AND SOME FACTORY SECOND) ---> PREORDERS (PLACED IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE STARTER ENDED, BUT WITHOUT THE SAVINGS OF STARTERS) ---> PRESALES (OVERRUN THAT IS ROUNDED UP WHEN FINAL NUMBERS COME IN). Anything left over from there is sold on the site, and I'm not 100% on how they're going about that now as we're still seeing changes.

That may be about as clear as mud, but that's the best I know how to describe it. Take into account that there are still several models from the starter program over two years ago that do not have steel in the shop yet. Some of those will be three years or more out I'm guessing before completion, but there were no promises made from the company on their fulfillment during the starter. Many of the presale orders, and also orders for factory seconds, have run well beyond promised fulfillment, and that's a problem.

In other words, it is most likely that JV3's (JV3, Hi man, if I'm wrong on this let me know, cheers) order has no promised delivery date, but Sulaco's order probably does have a promised delivery date that has been missed, even though it is a more recent order.

My point: Trying to get everybody on the same page information-wise.

That is absolutely ridiculous horrible customer service
I TOTALLY AGREE! That is why I ordered a Factory 2nd that says on there website Ships Within 90 days,but 90 days are up and still waiting but are supposedly shipping next week.Another thing is you have to Pay up Front & waiting on a knife for 2 years that you have already paid for is absolutely Ridiculous.No Way I Would wait 2 years for a knife or anything else that I have already Paid for up front.I would be getting my money refunded waaaaay before 2 years.I give credit to those customers that are willing to wait that long though,they Truly are SURVIVORS!

I'm guessing that JV3 skated in on the first of the preorders, or possibly the very tail end of an actual original starter order. Sulaco has a presale order, so in order of fulfillment on each model it is typical to see STARTER (AND SOME FACTORY SECOND) ---> PREORDERS (PLACED IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE STARTER ENDED, BUT WITHOUT THE SAVINGS OF STARTERS) ---> PRESALES (OVERRUN THAT IS ROUNDED UP WHEN FINAL NUMBERS COME IN). Anything left over from there is sold on the site, and I'm not 100% on how they're going about that now as we're still seeing changes.

That may be about as clear as mud, but that's the best I know how to describe it. Take into account that there are still several models from the starter program over two years ago that do not have steel in the shop yet. Some of those will be three years or more out I'm guessing before completion, but there were no promises made from the company on their fulfillment during the starter. Many of the presale orders, and also orders for factory seconds, have run well beyond promised fulfillment, and that's a problem.

In other words, it is most likely that JV3's (JV3, Hi man, if I'm wrong on this let me know, cheers) order has no promised delivery date, but Sulaco's order probably does have a promised delivery date that has been missed, even though it is a more recent order.

My point: Trying to get everybody on the same page information-wise.

i just checked my receipt: gso-4.1 starter placed on 04/30/15, order #5528.

BamaFan4Life, I've followed along here without saying much for awhile, so let me say to you that I absolutely hate that your order has gone over what was promised. I also want to stay factually correct, and some of the things in your post are a little off, so I'd like to address them.

That is why I ordered a Factory 2nd that says on there website Ships Within 90 days,but 90 days are up and still waiting

Absolutely right. If you say you can delivery in 90 days, deliver in 90 days. If you can't, put a realistic deadline on it that you can meet.

Another thing is you have to Pay up Front & waiting on a knife for 2 years that you have already paid for is absolutely Ridiculous.

The only people waiting two years on an order have either placed that order during the starter campaign or the preorders which followed shortly thereafter. Those folks weren't promised a delivery date, and they placed their orders of their own free will. I had several orders from that period of time, all of which have been fulfilled. I choose to pursue GSOs on the secondary market much more than the first now, and you have a point that is just good for life in general: don't pay up front for something that doesn't exist yet. However, the way that you come across is that the company is in the wrong. If I don't want to pay up front and wait, I can choose not to do that. If I decide I want to do that, then I can choose to be 'absolutely ridiculous' if I want to be. I just don't get to complain about my own decision to be ridiculous.

No Way I Would wait 2 years for a knife or anything else that I have already Paid for up front.I would be getting my money refunded waaaaay before 2 years.I give credit to those customers that are willing to wait that long though,they Truly are SURVIVORS!

We haven't heard one instance that a refund wasn't issued upon request. We have heard of it taking longer to get done than is IMO reasonable. Thank you for giving credit to those who have waited on their orders. I think it's up to each of us as to just where that point is. Also, I'll bet you and I would have more in common than not, and I hope you don't see this as coming across as an attack on you. You seem like someone who would be pretty happy if you could just get your knife in your hands, and I can certainly understand that.

Dave

Thanks for verifying that sir. I hope you see your 4.1 soon. I did not go in on this model, but I remember how excruciating the wait was for me on the 4.7s. Cheers

We're there with you :) My starter order was placed 4/13/15. It includes a 5.1, 4.7, 4.1, 3.5, & 12. The first two each arrived in the course of production, but it's going to be a LONG wait for that 12 :D

Back