4.1 thread

in order of fulfillment on each model it is typical to see STARTER (AND SOME FACTORY SECOND) ---> PREORDERS (PLACED IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE STARTER ENDED, BUT WITHOUT THE SAVINGS OF STARTERS) ---> PRESALES (OVERRUN THAT IS ROUNDED UP WHEN FINAL NUMBERS COME IN). Anything left over from there is sold on the site
Hard Knocks is not only correct, but quite diplomatic as always. From what I've seen I'd make one change to his above quote.
in order of fulfillment on each model it is typical to see FACTORY SECONDS SOLD IN WEEKLY SALES then STARTER (AND MORE FACTORY SECOND)

Other than TR's catch and release of the very first 4.1 I don't think I've seen anything in the wild, but factory seconds. Does anyone have a factory first 4.1 right now?

With the 4.7s I know that weekly sale factory seconds were in the hands of customers about 4 or 5 months before I got my order from the second week of the starter. This is how I expect future models to be handled and I'm going to plan my purchasing accordingly.

Bama, nobody has to guess where you stand on the current state of business with S!K.

bladesmith, if you're looking for other like-minded individuals, there are several threads dedicated to concerns and complaints. I don't think that's where we need this thread going.

Hard Knocks is not only correct, but quite diplomatic as always. From what I've seen I'd make one change to his above quote.
in order of fulfillment on each model it is typical to see FACTORY SECONDS SOLD IN WEEKLY SALES then STARTER (AND MORE FACTORY SECOND)

Other than TR's catch and release of the very first 4.1 I don't think I've seen anything in the wild, but factory seconds. Does anyone have a factory first 4.1 right now?

With the 4.7s I know that weekly sale factory seconds were in the hands of customers about 4 or 5 months before I got my order from the second week of the starter. This is how I expect future models to be handled and I'm going to plan my purchasing accordingly.

Bama, nobody has to guess where you stand on the current state of business with S!K.

bladesmith, if you're looking for other like-minded individuals, there are several threads dedicated to concerns and complaints. I don't think that's where we need this thread going.

ok Silver Needle you are correct. my error. only having to wait over two years for delivery just because no specific delivery date was promised shows that survive does indeed have
customer service at the top of its list of priorities. wonderful company with wonderful knives. wonderful service. (BTW I own 4 gso knives but I bought them in the real world)

ok Silver Needle you are correct. my error. only having to wait over two years for delivery just because no specific delivery date was promised shows that survive does indeed have
customer service at the top of its list of priorities. wonderful company with wonderful knives. wonderful service. (BTW I own 4 gso knives but I bought them in the real world)
The wait absolutely sucks. Whether it's within 90 days or over several years, the wait is a killer. All the negative threads popping up then getting pushed back under our normal chatter shows to me that it doesn't do any good to air it out here.

You have 4 GSOs? Give us some details, or better yet, some pics :thumbsup:

here is the 2 that I keep in my office. the 4.1 is getting liners made. for your information my other gso are a 5.0 and a 3.5

gso.jpg

Attachments

• 20170512_184132.jpg
    20170512_184132.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
"Other than TR's catch and release of the very first 4.1 I don't think I've seen anything in the wild, but factory seconds. Does anyone have a factory first 4.1 right now?"

There's a 20cv 4.1 first that escaped the mothership around the same time as TR's 3v... which I snagged off the big auction site for a pretty penny.
So it's possible this is actually the first one but there's no way to be sure :p
It's micro textured black g-10 with black oxide fasteners. Here's a tiny pic of it from the expired auction, I'll try to get a better shot of it this weekend. Purchased Oct 2016.
4_1.jpg

here is the 2 that I keep in my office. the 4.1 is getting liners made BTW I don't appricate your implication that I was lying.
if you're looking for other like-minded individuals, there are several threads dedicated to concerns and complaints. I don't think that's where we need this thread going. for your information my other gso are a 5.0 and a 3.5

I wrote that wrong. I didn't doubt you had the knives I just like talking about them and seeing pics, thanks for taking the time to do so. I say all the time here that my GSO 5 is a grail knife for me. The 4.7 took things to a whole new level. You have good taste.

I'd love to do liners on some of my knives, but I just couldn't give up using the stock kydex sheath they come with. Hope yours turn out great.

Last edited:
here is the 2 that I keep in my office. the 4.1 is getting liners made BTW I don't appricate your implication that I was lying.
if you're looking for other like-minded individuals, there are several threads dedicated to concerns and complaints. I don't think that's where we need this thread going. for your information my other gso are a 5.0 and a 3.5

View attachment 707775
pretty sure that he just wanted you to post some pics man. Silver isn't like that

silver your post did not show up before I responded. I stand corrected. no hard feelings
BTW it is very easy to fit the factory kydex to a blade that had liners added.
I do it all the time.

Last edited:
"Other than TR's catch and release of the very first 4.1 I don't think I've seen anything in the wild, but factory seconds. Does anyone have a factory first 4.1 right now?"

There's a 20cv 4.1 first that escaped the mothership around the same time as TR's 3v... which I snagged off the big auction site for a pretty penny.
So it's possible this is actually the first one but there's no way to be sure :p
It's micro textured black g-10 with black oxide fasteners. Here's a tiny pic of it from the expired auction, I'll try to get a better shot of it this weekend. Purchased Oct 2016.
View attachment 707774
You got this in October and I'm just hearing about it now?!? :eek::D

That is so awesome. Have you gotten to use it much? What do you think of it? Glad to hear there is another 4.1 out there!

silver your post did not show up before I responded. I stand corrected. no hard feelings
BTW it is very easy to fit the factory kydex to a blade that had liners added.
I do it all the time.
It's way too easy for some folks to get worked up online, myself included, so thanks for being cool.

That's awesome news about the liners. Can you say where yours is getting done? I'd really like a deep red liner to go with my black handles.

Last edited:
I have been a bladesmith for almost 50yr. I make them, I have put liners in hundreds of knives. just a little bling. lol

I have been a bladesmith for almost 50yr. I make them, I have put liners in hundreds of knives. just a little bling. lol

Ya but a little bling goes a long way, lol. That's cool that you do them yourself. It's amazing how a liner can really make the scale colors pop. Post some pics when you get them done!

Re: Liners.
If you just want the bling, get a set of scales and sand down the back side an equal thickness of the liner. Then the liner will replace the removed material and the ergonomics and fit to the sheath will be unchanged. I did this on a set of wood handles, but no reason it wouldn't work on a set of OEM scales.

Re: Liners.
If you just want the bling, get a set of scales and sand down the back side an equal thickness of the liner. Then the liner will replace the removed material and the ergonomics and fit to the sheath will be unchanged. I did this on a set of wood handles, but no reason it wouldn't work on a set of OEM scales.
You'd be amazed how bad I could screen up something simple sounding like this :confused:
I'll keep a project like this safe in my mind for now.

That is a good idea for those brave enough and handy enough :thumbsup:

here is the 4.1 set up with white liners also in the stock sheath. now that I made the white templates I can make any color I like, or even as thick as I like.

20170513_114942.jpg 20170513_132246.jpg

Last edited:
that is just vulcanized liner. most of the time I use g10. but min thickness on g10 is .062"
I am thinking of making some carbon fiber scales for it with toxic green g10 liners.

Silver, late to this thread but you were asking about factory 1st 4.1 models in the wild? I actually bought one off of a FB site that was a pre order and being sold right after he received it. That was at least a month ago. I had just received my F2 4.1s from the Oct sale a few days before and then a 1st popped up for sale and you know the rest of the story.

Back