47 has landed...with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fresh out of the box here is my new DPX HEST....number 047

Overall impressions out of the box are good. The box is really nice, the lanyard, and the skull are really nice touches to this hardy knife.

WAY TO GO DPX!!!!

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

J, good going on the knife. Now here's the dilemma for you . . . . Since I know for a fact you are a craftsman with the "coatings", & love to "tinker" with the "toys", should we look for any modifications to this knife, or maybe a custom sheath for carry just to have something to do ? ? ? ? ? :D
Great knives, & Sally is cutting everything in sight with her Izula gifted from you. Sometimes she just sits and pulls the thing out of the sheath & looks at me and grins about how much easier it is to do. That grin is priceless to me,
Thanks again buddy.
Be safe.

humm....I have been setting here looking at it instead of working in the shop!!! I have ideas for it but I don't know if I am going to alter this one. To be honest I am a little disappointed the more I get into it.....and yes I understand it is the first run and things happen ect, ect.

The design and overall appearance and feel of the knife is great. Not very happy with the known issue of the tip of the blade sticking out...not a big deal but....

Also if you pay real close attention when the knife is closed you can actually touch the blade edge....for small or thin fingers this could be an issue as well as a few other worst case scenarios running through my mind.

On a side note....I am really glad Sally is happy and feeling better!!

Also if you pay real close attention when the knife is closed you can actually touch the blade edge....for small or thin fingers this could be an issue as well as a few other worst case scenarios running through my mind.

Can you show us pics? I am not sure I understand?

He's talking about on the spine of the handle, with knife in closed position the edge is tangible.

Wow! I've heard this blade thing mentioned a few other times now. Is this another issue that needs to be addressed?

Seems like it should be looked at to avoid another mess. Especially if adding a smaller stop pin brings the edge closer to the spine.

Like I said, I've seen it mentioned but I haven't seen it addressed; unless I'm missing something?

Wow! I've heard this blade thing mentioned a few other times now. Is this another issue that needs to be addressed?

Seems like it should be looked at to avoid another mess. Especially if adding a smaller stop pin brings the edge closer to the spine.

Like I said, I've seen it mentioned but I haven't seen it addressed; unless I'm missing something?

Jforbush, nice pics, mines just like yours. Only changing the stop pin would indeed make it easier to touch the edge through the back of the handle. I would post a pic, but Im not home and can't get a good one with my phone. We'll have to trust that Lionsteel will thoroughly check them when they perform whatever they decide to do to fix the knives. I do like the knife, and hope that the issues get worked out satisfactorily to everyone. It just sucks, ya know.

Last edited:
Yikes - I'm becoming more and more concerned. I wonder how this is going to be on the production models that have been delayed to fix the first problem. I was actually looking at Jroden5446's comp pics and was impressed with the narrow profile compared to the others but when you think about that narrow handle and the big belly on the blade you can almost imagine there would be very little room for error with the blade edge sticking through the backside of the handle.

I suspect we can expect some of that beautiful belly to be ground away if they address this. That or a back spacer of some sort, both of which would be a shame . . .

Last edited:
I modified my pin so the blade tip is covered, & yes the blade edge is closer to the exposed area. It is not close enough to cut you though. I have to push my pinky finger in between the scales to touch the blade edge. I can not run my finger back and forth and even come close to cutting myself. I think this is a non issue, at least as far as my blade is concerned.

Thanks for the post - I feel better. Did your blade tip stick up at the higher amount or lower?

I modified my pin so the blade tip is covered, & yes the blade edge is closer to the exposed area. It is not close enough to cut you though. I have to push my pinky finger in between the scales to touch the blade edge. I can not run my finger back and forth and even come close to cutting myself. I think this is a non issue, at least as far as my blade is concerned.

oh.....I don't want to mislead....I have to push my little finger in to touch the blade too(not too much though)...I just am saying that if you lower the tip end it will push the blade closer to the spine of the knife and I could see that becoming more of an issue.

Mine had a smaller initial gap, maybe a thick fingernail size. I see how all the small things are being pointed out, but I have been using & carrying mine the last couple days and it has been great. I did a little tweeking, but no more than I usually would do to any other knife I just bought.

So far this is what I have modified on my HEST

1. Ground stop pin to lower blade tip

2. Removed & lightly compressed clip to make it tighter in my pocket (something I usually do to any folder)

3. Tightened & adjusted all hardware to the spec I like (pivot tightness, rotolock....)

4. Ran the blade over my strop (blade was shaving sharp when it arrived, but had a little drag doing a paper test)

5. Inserted in my pocket and carried. (this is the fun part)

That is all, when everyone gets their knives they will be happy, even though the ride has been a little bumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back