858OT Lumberjack Research

Codger_64

The 858OT Lumberjack, introduced in 1978, was a very large stockman, or Texas Pattern knife, to use a term Schrade used for their bonus sized knives of this ilk back in the 1950's. A cursory search produced numerous patterns of larger than four inches, but most if not all were “professional trades” knives like the #735 Marlin Spike, or the horticultural knives. Or the huge folding hunter jack knives we are all familiar with.

The Lumberjack was just a bit larger than any other stockman offering in the Old Timer line, or the predecessor open stock line as far as I can see. At 4 5/8 inches closed. It was so large as to be considered a sheath knife, not a pocket knife, and indeed a sheath was included for the $20.00 asking price. That would be nearly $85 in 2006 dollars. Sporting an appropriately enlarged pair of brown sawcut Delrin scales with the familiar Old Timer shield, brass liners and nickle silver bolsters, it had a 3 1/8" clip master blade, 2 1/16" spey blade, and 2 1/4" sheepfoot blade all made from our favorite 1095HC carbon steel. They were made for nine years, being discontinued after 1986. While this is not by any means a short run compared to many Old Timer patterns, it’s large size may have limited it’s sales causing this pattern to be relatively scarce today. They were last listed for $36.95 in 1986. Please note that I did not say rare, because they are not. And being of such proportions that they were uncomfortable as an EDC without threading the pouch onto a belt, this nearly half pound knife is often fould in excellent condition, worn users being the exception rather than the norm.

As I mentioned, I was unable to find a direct predecessor to this knife, but it does seem to be an 8OT of enlarged proportions. Schrade still listed it as a pocketknife, but perhaps they were just shy of using the name f...f...folder. Having been introduced after the company changed it’s name in 1973, you will not likely see one with Schrade Walden tangstamp. One example I saw did have the tangstamp SCHRADE+ over U.S.A. 858, indicating stainless blades. This validates the 1982 notation that the blade is “Schrade+ Steel”, a notation continued through 1986. Others I have seen did not have the stainless blades, but still did not use the “OT” identifier suffix on the stamp. It was, however listed eventually as both 858OT and 858OTS allowing the buyer the choice of "to sheath or not to sheath".

It also had decorative pinched bolsters and a plain long pull. I have also seen one with cream base material instead of the more familiar tan or light brown.

I know of no SFO’s or limited editions, or UH variant this knife was used for, but I am sure at least one or more will come to my attention in the future. Uncommon is the OT pattern that was not.

Codger

Gentlemen, start your pictures!

These are pix of one that I refurbed. I currently have 3 new ones and 2 that look like this.
858ot-1.jpg

858ot-2.jpg

858ot-3.jpg

858ot-4.jpg

What are your tang stamps and steel? The one I saw in carbon was in a circa 1974-77 box.
Codger

Good job Ted! You got a r.a.m.b.l.e and you posted nice pictures. :thumbup:

Michael, I had no idea you were a Hulman. You've got the voice to start things off.

I have commited some online Grand Theft Auto, (apologies to Phil), to line up next to Ted, who is the polesitter in this race. I don't think my knife will pass the pre-race inspection, as it doesn't look like any Lumberjack I've ever seen...but I'm dancin' with the one that brung me here, knife, truck, and all.

Damn Skippy.

Let's trade paint.

El Lobo

EDITED: Those are threaded/scored bolsters...oh, (sigh) nevermind.

Well, as I said, it didn't take long to find an 858 of interest. It is a Schrade 858 Catawba Valley Knife Club knife that was customized by Herman Williams to a 5 blade in 1986. This knife has dark genuine stag handles. Each of the five blades is etched with an example of industries and/or place in the Catawba River Valley. Nickel silver grooved bolsters and brass liners. The nickel silver shield is engraved C.V.K.C. Clip master blade tang stamped "SCHRADE+ USA 858". It is etched Catawba Valley Knife club 1986 1 of 60. second blade is a small clip, etched with an arrowhead Old Fort McDowell county.Third blade is etched with a chair and Furniture Drexel, NC. Fourth blade is etched with a loaf of Sunbeam bread, Valdese, NC Waldensian Bakeries. Fifth blade is etched with a picture of a wine bottle, Wine Icard, NC. Has three backsprings. Length 4 5/8" closed, 10 3/8" open blade on each end.

You gota a truck too Bill? I gonna have to get me one. They make them big enough to hold a real...er...I mean a fixed blade knife like the SDU15OTF? I guess I could knock out the front and back glass and slide it through the cab. Or build a ladder rack for it.:D

Codger

What are your tang stamps and steel?

I'm glad you asked that question, because it revealed something on one that I had not noticed. 4 of them have Schrade U.S.A. 858, but the one that I carry every few days or so has Schrade+ U.S.A. 858. Interestingly enough, the Schrade+ did not feel like Stainless while I was sharpening it, and it took a much better edge than any Schrade S/S that I've ever worked on. Sort of makes me wonder if it is stamped wrong. I'm telling you, it took a thin (about 25 degree inclusive) angle with no problem. I've never been able to get the Uncle Henrys to do that.

Try the patina test on it and the others. At least by the years listed, and what I can sift from eBay, the "non +" knives are less common, but it is a small sampling I've seen.

Codger

Codger_64 said:
this nearly half pound knife is often fould in excellent condition, worn users being the exception rather than the norm
Who's this "Norm" guy, anyway? ;)

Well, guess I found me an exception, then. Just picked up what looked like a beater, for about a third of what they're going for NIB, but after the application of some Flitz and elbow grease it looks almost new.

It is a big ol' beast. The blade stock is the same thickness as the 225OT folding hunter I compared it to; heck, the brass liners are thicker than the blades on some slipjoints I own! Despite being only a half inch or so longer than my 61OT, it feels like about three times as much knife. :eek:

One interesting detail you left out: the back of the large clip blade is heavily swedged, both above the tip, and on the spine in front of the pull. Don't recall seeing that on any other Schrade stockman. I kinda wish it wasn't there, to better show off the thickness of that blade...

Thanks for the article, Codger! :thumbup:

The 858OT Lumberjack, introduced in 1978, was a very large stockman, or Texas Pattern knife, to use a term Schrade used for their bonus sized knives of this ilk back in the 1950's. A cursory search produced numerous patterns of larger than four inches, but most if not all were “professional trades” knives like the #735 Marlin Spike, or the horticultural knives. Or the huge folding hunter jack knives we are all familiar with.

I know of no SFO’s or limited editions, or UH variant this knife was used for, but I am sure at least one or more will come to my attention in the future. Uncommon is the OT pattern that was not.

Codger

Gentlemen, start your pictures!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHRADE-GENUINE...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Another prophecy comes true. A stag Lumberjack. Note the COA came from SMKW.

Sure does look like Staglon Delrin in that one dark, distant picture. Somebody is going to be disappointed if it is. But then... at least it has one of those certificates. Orgill Brothers of Memphis. I'll see what I can find on that one.

Michael

Sure does look like Staglon Delrin in that one dark, distant picture. Somebody is going to be disappointed if it is. But then... at least it has one of those certificates. Orgill Brothers of Memphis. I'll see what I can find on that one.

Michael

Very difficult to determine from the picture. If it was stag, he might have rolled the dice and sold it for more than $240.00 with better photographs. May have been a snake eyes roll though.

Even SMKW should be able to determine if the handles are in fact Stag, you would assume.

Rusty1

Prototype Sample Request - 8/16/96 - Orgill Bros. - Pattern 94 - QTY:1 - Due 9/6/96

Schrade+ Stainless Steel Blade
Baron Gold Etch on CLip
"Limited Edition" etch (plain) on spey
Handle
Material : Stag
Color : Burnt
Texture : Standard
Shield: Coined Antiqued Bronze
Serialized
Lasered Wisconson White Oak hinged Box

Michael

Reviving an old thread as I was fortunate enough to acquire a Schrade + 858OT made by Herman Williams for Lownes Orgill & Co. 1850 (on shield). I communicated with Mr. Williams and he did state this was a knife he made for them. In his words " The 858OT Stag is one of my knives. I did several knives back in the early 1980's that were not signed." Here are a few photos of his beautiful work. It is one large, gorgeous knife!

Miles

Attachments

• Schrade2_Williams_858.jpg
    Schrade2_Williams_858.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
C4Miles, haven't been around in quite a while and yours is the first post I saw, amazing knife!! Those older Herman Williams knives don't show up very often.

Eric

This is one of my 858 knives, the other one is an 858S. KG.

Attachments

• Schrade 858.jpg
    Schrade 858.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back