8670M steel?

Hey Scott, I didn't want to hijack the picture thread, but I liked the look of that big Tusker you posted. I haven't heard of 8670M steel before, and wanted to know more. Is there a more familiar steel that's comparable? Thanks!

This is my go to knife. Tusker 8" blade, 8670M steel, lignum vitae scales. I've used this one extensively and i'm impressed with it's performance. Edge holding is great.
Scott

lvtusker.jpg

tknife, 8670M steel I get from Admiral steel. It's what they call an alternative to L6 steel. I did a search on it and found info on Don Fogg's forum. It heat treats exactly like L6. One of the members stated that unless you're a metalurgist, you can't tell the difference between the two. I also found it does well resisting rust. My current EDC is made with it. I can only get it in 3/16" thickness. I think forgers use it when making damascus.
Scott

This is my current EDC

IM000145.jpg

I have a couple of Grecos knives and 8670 is some awesome steel but man does it rust fast. The performance easily outways this though.

I have a couple of Grecos knives and 8670 is some awesome steel but man does it rust fast. The performance easily outways this though.

That a surprise about the rust. :confused: Mine actually holds up better against rusting more so then O1.
Scott

tknife, 8670M steel I get from Admiral steel. It's what they call an alternative to L6 steel. I did a search on it and found info on Don Fogg's forum. It heat treats exactly like L6. One of the members stated that unless you're a metalurgist, you can't tell the difference between the two. I also found it does well resisting rust. My current EDC is made with it. I can only get it in 3/16" thickness. I think forgers use it when making damascus.
Scott
Scott, I have the opportunity to purchase at Tusker on the secondhand market. It’s stamped 8670. Does that indicate the use of 8670M? Is there a difference?
Thank you!

Back