940-1501 vs 940-1701

I'm looking for a 940 in 20CV (or M390) and these seem to be the two options out there at present. I'm leaning towards the 1501 from Knifeworks. It's $40 cheaper, and KW is worth supporting. The 1701 looks great, though. I like the black liners and red highlights, the price...not so much. I wonder if the blue/black combination is too flashy (I prefer subdued looking knives) OTOH the 1701 is probably pretty flashy as well.

Has anyone handled or owned both or been struggling with a similar decision? I'd like to hear your thoughts or reasons why you went one way or the other.

I went with the 1701 because Going Gear is driving distance and I prefer to see what I buy in person, they also are a local business and a nice group of guys and I prefer to support local when I can. The 1701 isn't nearly as flashy in person as it seems in the pictures IMO, it's darker tones in person vs. the picture.

That being said, I want the 1501 also.

Currently own the 940-1 and 940-1501 with a 1701 on the way, so can't comment on that one yet. As your already considering the 1701’s price range, but looking for less flashy, I'd highly recommend the 940-1. It is about the same price as the 1701 and can be found frequently here for sale. While it isn't 20cv, I'd say that the s90v has impressed me to the point that I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite between that and m390. They are both very good stainless options. Also the finish is stonewashed on the 940-1, which I personally prefer. If you are set on 20cv, I haven't found the 1501 to be too flashy. The blue is definitely there, but not overly showy.

I think I do slightly prefer the aesthetics of the 1701, but the painful truth is I want them both. I can't justify that right now, so I'll have to choose. The 940-1 is probably the closest to my personal taste in terms of looks, plus I like that's it lighter. However, I've had a few knives in S90V and while it does hold a working edge amazingly, I find it difficult, with my level of sharpening skill, to get it to the same razor edge I can achieve on M390/20CV. I also really like the way M390/20CV "feels" on the sharpener--almost like a really good carbon steel, Hitachi Blue or HAP40.

If you don't love the looks of either, buy the cheaper one & order some custom scales(about $100 +/-).

Sell the scales that came with it to offset the cost of custom ones.

Just a thought.

I have a few 940's, and the nicest one is the 940-1. Carbon fiber is so incredibly light, and S90V steel can't be beat. If you don't want flashy, that's the one to get. I just got the 940-1701 and the red inserts are much darker than expected, but in a good way. The red standoff's with the red thumb stud go well together. Another nice one is the 940-1601 Cabela's exclusive with D2 steel. I don't have the 1501 though - just wasn't my style. Next year we'll get the 1801 if this trend continues, and we'll probably want that also.

I will go with 1501, to save $40 while not sacrifying or compromising anything. The red thumbstud on 1701 is a major turn off for me.

I ordered the 1501 from KW. I do somewhat prefer the 1701 as far as looks (at least from the photos), but I think $199 is just a better deal and I'm a sucker for a "bargain." I'll probably be wondering whether I made the right choice for a while.

If I decide I don't like the blue/black scales I will purchase some aftermarket carbon fiber grips.

1501 hands down in my book. Not so flashy in person, but still a nice striking blue. Best F&F of any Benchmade I've owned.

I received the 1501 today. Totally not flashy. The blue is is kind of subdued and the black has a tinge of gray in it. They must have really pumped up the saturation in some of those photos. Anyway, I think it looks great. Centering, lock up, grind, fit and finish, all excellent. Just a really beautiful 940 all around. Interestingly, my example weighs 2.6 ounces and not 2.9 as stated in on the KW site. The thumb studs sit closer to the scales than on my Griptilians, so it's not as intuitive to deploy the blade yet, but I think I'll get used to that. I'm sure the 1701 is really nice as well, but I'm very happy with my choice.

I received the 1501 today. Totally not flashy. The blue is is kind of subdued and the black has a tinge of gray in it. They must have really pumped up the saturation in some of those photos. Anyway, I think it looks great. Centering, lock up, grind, fit and finish, all excellent. Just a really beautiful 940 all around. Interestingly, my example weighs 2.6 ounces and not 2.9 as stated in on the KW site. The thumb studs sit closer to the scales than on my Griptilians, so it's not as intuitive to deploy the blade yet, but I think I'll get used to that. I'm sure the 1701 is really nice as well, but I'm very happy with my choice.
You could try adding some griptilian thumb studs to it. That's what I do on my g10 and carbon fiber 940s. The studs are slightly longer making deployment easier in my opinion. They are still not long enough to stick past the scales though. That is what should come stock on the 940 variants with different handle material in my opinion. The handles are slightly thicker than the aluminum and makes reaching the studs a little tougher. The longer studs work just like the shorter ones on the aluminum handles. They compensate great for the thicker a handles.

Evany, love my 940-1501, perfect rendering of a 21st century traditional pocket knife!
great tip luke86, gonna try a grip thumb stud b4 getting one fabricated, along with custom fitting the factory G10 to my right hand.
thx

Can't go wrong with any 940. It is great we have so many options now for colour and materials. I have the original aluminum green and it is in my pocket more than any other knife. I keep buying other knives, traditional slipjoints (Case, GEC, Victorinox) , Spydercos, other Benchmades but the 940 just has such appeal for form and function I just can't seem to leave it behind. Now I am at a point I want to buy more 940s.

Enjoy them all!

,,,Mike in Canada

IMG_2414.JPG So much truth in your post Mike!!
I only have multiples of a model with a couple of knives, the 94x is one of those knives!!
I have a bunch!! So do my 'borrowing' sons!!! They need to learn that borrow means returning!!:D
I just received a -1701 last week and the build quality is exactly as Evany described his -1501......perfect!! What a sexy bitch this one is!!
You just can't go wrong with any version of the 940........the only one I want, but will most likely never get, is the Cabelas exclusive. I like D2 a lot, but can't see $250 for it.....who the hell am I kidding!!! I'll probably wind up with that one also!!
Joe
Pic of -1701.......because, why not!!!

Can't go wrong with any 940. It is great we have so many options now for colour and materials. I have the original aluminum green and it is in my pocket more than any other knife. I keep buying other knives, traditional slipjoints (Case, GEC, Victorinox) , Spydercos, other Benchmades but the 940 just has such appeal for form and function I just can't seem to leave it behind. Now I am at a point I want to buy more 940s.

Enjoy them all!

,,,Mike in Canada

View attachment 715964 So much truth in your post Mike!!
I only have multiples of a model with a couple of knives, the 94x is one of those knives!!
I have a bunch!! So do my 'borrowing' sons!!! They need to learn that borrow means returning!!:D
I just received a -1701 last week and the build quality is exactly as Evany described his -1501......perfect!! What a sexy bitch this one is!!
You just can't go wrong with any version of the 940........the only one I want, but will most likely never get, is the Cabelas exclusive. I like D2 a lot, but can't see $250 for it.....who the hell am I kidding!!! I'll probably wind up with that one also!!
Joe
Pic of -1701.......because, why not!!!
Very cool 940 Joe...didn't know about this version....hmmmm!!

I've had my -1501 for a few weeks now. I've been unable to carry anything else. The 20CV steel is just marvelous. I can get it really sharp on just the brown rods on the Sharpmaker and it holds it well. As for the knife itself, I continue to be impressed. The long slender blade makes for a much better slicer than the saber(?) grind would imply. It carries beautifully, can't tell it's there, and I can actually use that pocket for other stuff as well.

Back