A 9" Bowie in 1080, Sambar stag and a D Lisch style split ring guard

An order came in for a 9" Bowie with Sambar stag handle and a split ring guard. As far as I know the only maker that produces this style of Guard is the ABS Master smith David Lisch. I contacted David explaining about the order and asked him if he would mind if I attempted to make this style of guard for this Bowie. David got back to me and being the gentleman that he is said, " if you feel that you can do it, I say go for it".
The blade steel is EN42J (AISI1080), blade... length is 235mm with a full flat grind, blade width is 43mm, thickness on the spine is 6mm and an overall length of 370mm including the pommel nut. The blade has had clay applied to give a differential temper line when quenched. The hand guard is a split ring in the D Lisch style with vine file work, thorns and a clam shell filed into the top. There are also three smooth brass spacers between the blade and the bolster. The gun blued bolster has a thin nickel silver line running through it's centre.
The Sambar stag handle has been left natural and cleaned back to reveal more of the white antler. The steel butt cap is gun blued, filed to match the flutes on the antler and held in place with a gun blued pommel nut.
The leather sheath is a Mexican loop style dyed golden brown. The main body of the sheath is golden brown and black with a python skin inlay on the front panel and a Sam brown stud and keeper strap.
Thank you for taking the time to look gents, all comments and critique very welcome.

All the best

Steve

upload pic

upload pic

upload pic

upload pic

upload pic

upload pic

upload pic

good suggestion from DL -- "if you can do it go for it". You went for it and did it. Looks very kewl. Next one with damascus blade.

Outstanding!
I'm both inspired and demoralized (as a beginner maker) by some of the stuff I'm seeing lately...

white tiger white tiger Wow Steve... thank you. I am speechless. This is your best work to date. The Nickel silver in the bolster is perfect, the split ring is awesome man. Well done.

Rich

Steve, you really hit that one right out of the ball park! Detail on the guard is amazing as is the rest of the knife. Leatherwork excellent too. For me I would like the blade to be a couple of inches longer, as you know I like em BIG.

Last edited:
Gentlemen thank you very much for your comments about the knife and especially about my leather work Paul, I think as makers you realise how much that means. I have to thank the man himself Mr D Lisch, one for giving me the inspiration to make this style of guard and two for being such a gent and saying go for it, I'm very grateful.
Thank you once again guys.

All the best

Steve

Very nice you not only got the feel of a split ring you made it your own with the file work. the way you tucked the ring up into the stag shows just how well you studied the split ring that really makes it feel good. thank you for asking before using my design it show just what a gentlemen you are and the respect you have for the hard work that others put into coming up with there own style. well done.

Back