A bit rough on the outside

Yes Gary I've got one coming from South Africa , well two actually , one is already made and the other is in its design stage .
I have given up on getting a knife made locally here after the fiasco that you already know about and have gone off shore for these next two :)

Ken

PS - I'm having real trouble posting here at the moment , is it just me or is everyone else having issues

Here's one of the Svords I've redone for myself. I think it's a really cool knife and I may just try out your roughout idea for it...

Peasant2Small.jpg

Jigged bone handle scales, brass bolsters and mosaic pins. I used cold blue on the blade.

That is a really nice job of customizing :thumbup:

Ken

I have never tried rough out, but now this thread makes me want to try. The op makes it look easy to get finish perfection.

A happy by-product of Rough Out is that the sheath has an automatic lining of smooth leather which hasn't really been mentioned yet .
It has a lot going for it in its favour for working sheaths .
Those old timers new a few things in my opinion :)

Ken

Yes Gary I've got one coming from South Africa , well two actually , one is already made and the other is in its design stage .
I have given up on getting a knife made locally here after the fiasco that you already know about and have gone off shore for these next two :)

Ken

PS - I'm having real trouble posting here at the moment , is it just me or is everyone else having issues

Hi Ken
May I ask who the knife maker is? From SA

Allen
Cape Town

Hi Ken
Yes his trade mark "K'roo" is well known amongst hunters here in SA
The K'Roo is pronounced as KA-Roua,
Karoo is a central dry savanna type region that gets damn hot in summer months and cold in winter, can be quite beautiful.
we have some fine knife makers here, hope you enjoy the knife.

Cheers
Allen

Ive been trying a few different lanyards on this sheath and so far the simplest is still the best .

This is my latest and final version which will be what I will use from now on .

Ken

I really love that button stud design, what a great idea.

I really love that button stud design, what a great idea.

Thanks , so far it's working really well . It would be a big call to claim I'm the first to come up with the idea and chances are that something similar has been done in the past , but I've never personally seen it before.

Ken

I was telling my wife about this sheath last night, specifically the stud. She really admired the creativity and quality of work. She's not an easy judge (like I am) either. You've got the California seal of approval. :D

I'm still playing with and enjoying " Rough Out "

It just makes so much sense for hard use applications .

Ken

Your work is always with personal touch, you have to be more generous with pictures,but from this picture is edge to close to stitch?:thumbup:

Its a strange illusion of the camera in that pic .

eb2bb24d77eb3f1f42f865016f46fb53_zpsc4bc8e9b.jpg

I can see what your talking about in the first pic :)

Ken

Haven't made anything for awhile , but a good friend of my wife is having her birthday soon and everyone has been told that only gifts you have made yourself are acceptable to bring to the party .
The cool part for me is that she actually carries a small folder in her purse so that gives me the option to make her a sheath .
I have a SAK Electrician that doesn't get any use so that will be thrown in with deal .
This is also the first time I've used Paul Longs pocket clips and I really rate them highly .

Ken

OP, a very nice and spiffy looking sheath for the SAK. Should work well for years.

I had a pair made some years ago by Slick Fork Bootery in Arroyo Grande. The guy has since passed away so not in business any more. I met him at a show in Paso Robles. He had me stand on a piece of heavy paper and the drew the outline of each individual foot and then took about 10 measurements per foot. They fit incredibly, its not like you're wearing anything. I rode in them for many, many years, they cleaned up nice and now are my going to town boots. Water Buffalo foot and Shark heel. I've had them resoled probably 10 times.

Pic?

Always interesting to read your input. I like leather knife sheaths but a quality pair of boots are hard to beat.

For production boots, I believe a very old pair of plain rough out working boots from Olathe are some of the nicest Ive seen and worn. Dont know if they are still in business. The boots were decades old and plain working one color boots and Ive only seen more gaudy boots with the Olathe name on them since then.

BTW Are you familiar with Gasolina boots? They are hand made to measure riding boots but for riding bikes not horses, lol.

Finally got around to experimenting with a few ideas about leaving the Roughout natural .
Dave ( Horsewright ) I borrowed a lot of info from your Pancake tutorial , but added a few secret herbs and spices of my own that only time will tell if it stands up to the real world .

Ken

Back