A little snake inlay

Hey all, just finished up a rather large sheath for my HI Bowie. Its a tad over 17" and done with 8/9oz leather, with a Canebreak (Timber) rattlesnake inlay. This was sourced locally and tanned by me. I like how it came out, hope y'all do as well. As always critiques and comments are welcome, can only get better especially with some of our masters here. Thanks for looking
NzrUTi.jpg

yQc0FF.jpg

DW2jmR.jpg

GIuxII.jpg

Nice! Did you line the interior? Question on the snakeskin-how do you tan your skin? Hope you don't mind my asking. Thanks.

Very, very nice. I only have one suggestion and merely an astetic one at that. Maybe move your stich line in a hair so that it bisects ypur border? Equal distance between each edge might be just a hint more pleasing to the eye.

Nice! Did you line the interior? Question on the snakeskin-how do you tan your skin? Hope you don't mind my asking. Thanks.
Thank you kenjal, I did not line this one. It's actually pretty easy to tan, the prep work is the hardest. After you skin it you have to flesh it. Meaning get all the meat off, after you skin there is still muscle and meat in there,you have to scrape it all off, once satisfied I mix equal parts of glycerin and rubbing alcohol, glycerin you can source online or at a CVS pharmacy. Give it a good shake and loosely roll your skin up and place in the mixture. I leave it in for about 4 days, a few times a day I turn the container to stir the skin. After 4 days take it out and wash in fresh water. Staple to a board flesh side out,put alittle glycerin on it and let dry. Thats it.

Very, very nice. I only have one suggestion and merely an astetic one at that. Maybe move your stich line in a hair so that it bisects ypur border? Equal distance between each edge might be just a hint more pleasing to the eye.
Thank you Horsewright, your suggestions are exactly what I look for, and I will do that to the next. Thanks again.

Pugs, once again very minor suggestion. Trim your underlay filler piece a little bitt less so that it matches up more with the cut line of your window, to eliminate the ridge visible about 1/8" in side the window border. I trim about 1/32", but it depends on the thickness of the inlay material, thicker inlay would be about 1./16" or maybe slightly more. You do your inlay in reverse order to my sequence. I lay the snake skin , in this case on the back of the top piece, then situate the filler, and then glue down to the back piece. This forces the snake up just along the edge of the top piece and there is no gap between the raised portioned the window edge.

Paul

Pugs, once again very minor suggestion. Trim your underlay filler piece a little bitt less so that it matches up more with the cut line of your window, to eliminate the ridge visible about 1/8" in side the window border. I trim about 1/32", but it depends on the thickness of the inlay material, thicker inlay would be about 1./16" or maybe slightly more. You do your inlay in reverse order to my sequence. I lay the snake skin , in this case on the back of the top piece, then situate the filler, and then glue down to the back piece. This forces the snake up just along the edge of the top piece and there is no gap between the raised portioned the window edge.

Paul
Paul, I see exactly what your saying, and I did trim a bit more than in the past. Thank you very much for the information, your and Daves input are just what I need to continue to improve my leathercraft. Thank Again.

Back