A little weekend BIG Bowie project.

That Zebra wood is going to look awesome. I liked the horn, but I do believe the Zebra is going to top it and I bet the handle is going to be incredibly comfortable. But really that Little Opie is smashing. I am going to have to remember to get bubinga on my next little Opie8. That looks awesome.

Can't wait to see them when you get them finished up.

I'd love to come to Corn Patch, you know that. Play with toys or not. A trip to Brownells to meet Frank would be icing on the cake.

I at one time considered seeing if I could get hired on there pulling orders or something in the warehouse. I got warehouse experience ya know.

Be like working in a gun shop though, I'd never get a pay check paying for all the stuff I'd want each and every day.

That Zebra wood is going to look awesome. I liked the horn, but I do believe the Zebra is going to top it and I bet the handle is going to be incredibly comfortable. But really that Little Opie is smashing. I am going to have to remember to get bubinga on my next little Opie8. That looks awesome.

Can't wait to see them when you get them finished up.

I think the Zebra is going to look pretty nice too. The last pictures there it looks rough cause I just got it wet "raising the grain" for the first time. It's quite a large handle, very long. The girth is just a skosh big for me but the owner has large hands so I'll slim it just a bit more but not much.

With the big heavy blade a larger handle is appropriate and makes it more manageable.

The little Opie is packed up and ready to go home tomorrow. I never had one myself, first one I've ever seen actually, but I think I'll have to get one myself one of these days. Pretty cool little knife.

I sent you a PM Shavru, are you missing it? Do we have to start seeing other people?

Opie..haha... they also make Oak, Beech, Walnut?, and some others. Pretty cool.

Bubinga is the 'cheap luxury' model.

Yeah, I looked around some, they make a ton of different sizes too. I thought I'd kill or wound two birds with one stone and get one for filleting fish that I saw a model # for. But I haven't been able to find that one YET.

I'm not sure if they don't make it anymore or if just nobody has one at the moment.

I'll have to look again. Been a couple weeks since I was looking.

I love the little ring that locks it open or closed. Thing don't weigh nothing. Surely isn't my IBBB but it's sure fine for what they are designed for.

Just looked again and I see a few of the 7" size and several of the 5". They kind of jump up in price for the 7". Trying to decide if I need 7 or could get by with 5". Ok, ok, go ahead and call me cheap. Perhaps miserly would be more palatable?

Last edited:
Spendthrift or... efficient? in the allocation of capital ;D

Cheap is great, Bawanna.

I do think it is a great small knife that has nice sharpness and doesn't scare any wussies.

Got a # 15 Fillet Knife on order. 19.99 w/free shipping. Just the Beech Handle but for a fish cleaning knife, I'm good with that. Sometimes Beech can be rather pleasing to the eye too. If it works well, might graduate to a fancier handle. Want to do proof of concept before I shell out the big bucks.
Not sheath to loose. Can carry it to the fish cleaning station without fear of impaling my own self. With the blade lock set up it shows real promise. If the edge holds up.......

DUDE!!! Just seeing this today! Do you know how difficult it is to read through a thread while trying to pick your jaw up off the floor and mop the drool puddle at the same time???? Really freakin hard! That is looking absolutely incredible. Already better than the original IMO. Now I see what you meant with the hidden pins. That's kinda what I pictured. People should do that all the time.

I don't really think my hands are that big, never been more than a medium according to most glove companies, but the bowie felt good with a big handle before so might as well keep it the same. As you said, big knife, big handle.

I was gonna ask for the horn if it was headed for the trash, if you think you can use it then definitely keep it. It would be cool to have, but I'd rather it end up on another HI blade!

PS. BB, I'll have you know that envy over your wood-handled AKB was the main reason this project had to be done! Haha that and I never used the fantastic blade because I wasn't a huge fan of the handle...

SG, I honestly didn't know this was even yours. I get so set on screen names that real name leave me. I write down screen names and real names and address's to anybody I send stuff to or get stuff from.
I looked through that book looking for your screen name. I recognized your real name and I knew I'd done something before, just didn't put two and one together. This is good. Now I know. And I'll check the book again to make sure your in there. Book is getting full and I write on back of pages etc, you gotta be in there. I'll find ya.

The handle is long but it's not too big around I don't think. I think it'll be good. I hate the work week when I don't get to spend time on it but the weekend is a coming.

I will for sure put the horn handles in with it when I send it home. They are yours so I'll send em back.

I did knock the handles I just put on my R 6 but I'm really pondering antler if I can find the right piece.

Had the camera out taking pictures of little bowies so took an in progress photo of the big one. Checkering underway.

Gonna be a couple more days.....................

Back