A little weekend BIG Bowie project.

Thanks pugs! Sheath compliments mean even more coming from a master like yourself.

David, the "full-length" handle was one of the main reasons I had this done. The tang along didn't give enough retention when chopping, especially with sweaty hands on the smooth horn grip, so I wanted some wood back there. It feels like a whole new knife, and in the best of ways.

Ndog, wasn't there a video before? Swear I saw you hackin on sticks as your pup was stealin them off...maybe I'm losing it. Woulda been a heck of a dream.

Bawanna, the AKB chops very much like a khukuri. It performs most similarly to my Tamang, which also has only a slight handle-drop and gentle blade curve. The balance is obviously closer to the handle than a comparably sized khuk, so you have to use a little more arm and wrist to help accelerate the blade.

I like what you did with those guns, but I'm not gonna lie, the Osage is a bit underwhelming from what I remember. I think I'm just more a fan of the darker and redder woods over the light or yellow varieties.

Ndog, wasn't there a video before? Swear I saw you hackin on sticks as your pup was stealin them off...maybe I'm losing it. Woulda been a heck of a dream...

Uhhhh? You must be dreamin dude? I know a good doc you can see. Let me make sure hes up to seein new patients. He had a cheeto in his office last I checked:D

Nah! musta accidentally edited it out or something?
Oh here it is.

[video=youtube;toX1R0rMCPE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toX1R0rMCPE&t=9s[/video]

Was trying to smoke some salmon and my dogs kept hauling off the wood. Note the big tang on this one! They used to make them that way. No problem hanging on to these. I like them myself.

Last edited:
Got my sheath all done and brought the knife on a little hike to test it out. Love it, works great. Possibly competing for my "EDK" or everyday khukuri lol it's only 10oz heavier than the 12" BDC I usually hike with :)

Bawanna, the thing chops like I couldn't believe. I must have been timid before with the slippery handle. It's like a whole knew knife now.

Here's the sheath with the dangler. I made 2 sets of buttons so the knife can be worn up near the hip or "drop-leg" style.

Here's the back. I've since added 2 pieces of paracord, through the bottom 2 eyelets and the 2 under the D-ring, to hold the sheath against the thigh.

And here we are going through this punky tree

About 3 minutes later

Sweet setup, thanks for the pictures of the rig. Great knife and Bawanna did such a good job...

Back