A no go on the Pro Series Drone?

i believe he made contact with jill jackson as the result of a gbu thread, but otherwise he has been mia for about 6 months.

I got my knife back from Tim as a result of that thread and I understand he went back to work for Kershaw. I have heard second hand that he won't be making many if any more Pro-Series knives, so unless he has a change of heart I think it's over for the Pro-Series, at least in any number.

I got my knife back from Tim as a result of that thread and I understand he went back to work for Kershaw. I have heard second hand that he won't be making many if any more Pro-Series knives, so unless he has a change of heart I think it's over for the Pro-Series, at least in any number.

that really sucks. the Galyean Pro-Series knives were fantastic for the price, and in my opinion, the Lahars were closer to a custom knife than anything else, since the blade was hand-ground.

Damn. That really sucks. I was looking forward to the Drone very much. C'mon Tim, just one more Pro Series knife. I really really want a Drone.

This is very disappointing. I love my turbulence. What I am also concerned about now is how he will continue to service the Pro Series Line. Let's hope he doesn't follow the path of some makers...

I heard the same. He is working for Kershaw and the chance of any additional Pro-Series knives wasn't looking good.

does anyone know if it's just the Pro-Series or is he no longer making his custom knives either?

Tim hasn't posted on BF since September of last year. Nobody can get him to answer his phone number on his website, he mostly ignores emails. So, I think it's going to be hard to get in contact with him and if he was still making/selling customs in any number it wouldn't be. That's about all I know about it and hopefully one day he will start back.

(The Lahar I ended up with (#2) is one of my favorite knives and other than initially having a very bad sticking lock, which got to work fine with pencil lead, it's pretty much flawless)

Tim hasn't posted on BF since September of last year. Nobody can get him to answer his phone number on his website, he mostly ignores emails. So, I think it's going to be hard to get in contact with him and if he was still making/selling customs in any number it wouldn't be. That's about all I know about it and hopefully one day he will start back.

(The Lahar I ended up with (#2) is one of my favorite knives and other than initially having a very bad sticking lock, which got to work fine with pencil lead, it's pretty much flawless)

My Lahar was the same way. very sticky lock for a while, but eventually, with the help of some graphite, it was fixed.

it was also very hard to open, to the point wehre it wouldn't unless I really pulled it, and it wasn't smooth at all. A drop of oil on the detent ball made it FLY open. it was fantastic after that. I think sometimes they dry out when sitting around in the warehouse, and these knives are such incredible flippers, and I think the strong detent helps a lot with that.

these knives are absolutely incredible, though, extremely high quality.

My Lahar was the same way. very sticky lock for a while, but eventually, with the help of some graphite, it was fixed.

it was also very hard to open, to the point wehre it wouldn't unless I really pulled it, and it wasn't smooth at all. A drop of oil on the detent ball made it FLY open. it was fantastic after that. I think sometimes they dry out when sitting around in the warehouse, and these knives are such incredible flippers, and I think the strong detent helps a lot with that.

these knives are absolutely incredible, though, extremely high quality.

My original TNK large (#18) wasn't helped by oiling. It had a problem with the ball bearings it sounded like and just got worse and worse. The one I have now is way faster to open than any knife I've ever used, including autos.

My original TNK large (#18) wasn't helped by oiling. It had a problem with the ball bearings it sounded like and just got worse and worse. The one I have now is way faster to open than any knife I've ever used, including autos.

did your replacement knife end up being a TNK also? I noticed you referred to yours as #2, but not TNK (#2). mine was a TNK also. The patterning on the TNK handle is pretty awesome looking.

did your replacement knife end up being a TNK also? I noticed you referred to yours as #2, but not TNK (#2). mine was a TNK also. The patterning on the TNK handle is pretty awesome looking.

Yes it was replaced by Neil of TNK,(his last large, too) when I couldn't get Tim to answer me about the #18. (I'd asked Neil if he could contact Tim and he had no better luck than I had) In the meantime Tim did return my knife and Neil agreed to let me send him the repaired Lahar and keep #2. Great guy, Neil is.;)

Yes it was replaced by Neil of TNK,(his last large, too) when I couldn't get Tim to answer me about the #18. (I'd asked Neil if he could contact Tim and he had no better luck than I had) In the meantime Tim did return my knife and Neil agreed to let me send him the repaired Lahar and keep #2. Great guy, Neil is.;)

I'm glad you got a good one jill jackson. :thumbup: I was thinking of ordering one but the handle looks to small for me. It's too badd - stopping in here and watching another popular forum possibly heading south.

It's the nature of things to change I suppose. Mr. Galyean put's out nice knives and I can understand what a project being self-employed is, compared to having a normal work week, less headaches and sufficient resources too design future knives - such as going back to work for Kershaw would afford him.

I'm glad you got a good one jill jackson. :thumbup: I was thinking of ordering one but the handle looks to small for me. It's too badd - stopping in here and watching another popular forum possibly heading south.

It's the nature of things to change I suppose. Mr. Galyean put's out nice knives and I can understand what a project being self-employed is, compared to having a normal work week, less headaches and sufficient resources too design future knives - such as going back to work for Kershaw would afford him.

The small is comparable to a small XM-18 or small Sebenza, if I remember correctly. I think a large would suit you well if that seems too small.

The small is comparable to a small XM-18 or small Sebenza, if I remember correctly. I think a large would suit you well if that seems too small.

Thanks Juiceman, I didn't know about a large. :) I just checked one out at Steel Addiction & plenty of handle there but some of it curving awkardly downward like the Espada handle? I'd have to hold that one before checking out.

Thanks Juiceman, I didn't know about a large. :) I just checked one out at Steel Addiction & plenty of handle there but some of it curving awkardly downward like the Espada handle? I'd have to hold that one before checking out.

the small handle is pretty comfortable, I thought. I'd imagine the large is as well. I think the handle shape is similar to the production version by Kershaw, so if you're interested you could look on youtube for reviews on that. they probably mention ergonomics at some point.

Both the large and small Lahars are quite comfortable in the hand. I have pretty large hands and I find no discomfort. The only difference is that the small is a three fingered knife and I can fit my whole mitt around the large.

btw, I forgot to mention this before. I believe that if there's an issue with the actual ball bearings used in the IKBS system, you can just throw new ones in. I believe you can just buy a cup of the bearings, dip the end of the knife in some lube, the bearings will all stick to the appropriate spot and you can throw it back together. not that you should have done this, but in case anyone else has an issue, it might be good to know if they don't want to send it back in.

edit: check out http://www.ikbsknifetech.com/11/1504.html, if you scroll down, you can see what I'm describing. probably something like Christo-lube or the CRK grease would suffice. btw you should use blue loctite over the red stuff if you're doing this yourself. you won't be able to get the red stuff off without a heat gun.

Back