A pretty penny in return for a knife, anybody else heard of this tradition?

NinjaRyder0920

Gold Member
So, for a quick backstory --> my brother has a co-worker who offered to cut something for him and pulled out a no-name, cheap, poor quality gas station folding knife that he'd carried for years. My brother told me about this and I felt it as my duty as a knife-nut to rectify this situation and get the man a good value folder to carry everyday.

At this time I was also looking into picking up a few older model Kershaw folders for myself and came across some outstanding praise for the Kershaw Crown model 3160. A well built, elegant-looking gentleman's carry that would not break the bank and also would make for a nice introduction into the world of folding knives for this nice guy. So, I picked one up for him (and for myself :D) and my brother presented it to him today. Needless to say, this guy was over-the-moon excited about the gift. It could have been a $500 folder for all he knew. In return I got a nice, hand written thank-you card with a penny taped inside. In his note he mentioned giving a penny back in return for receiving a knife as a gift as to not "cut or sever" our friendship.

Anybody else familiar with this cutlery gift-giving tradition?

And, since we all like pictures, here you go! He received the black one and I kept the blue.

IMG_0744_zpszdfxpyvb.jpg

Early this year I picked up a PM2 second hand with the intent of giving it away.
Gave it a sharpening, some TLC and sent it to my very good friend in the Military who is a non-knife guy. He was ecstatic with it and told me after months of usage...

"Now I know why a good knife cost what it cost" :D

Here it is the day before I packed it up to ship.

I have heard of this tradition as well. I'm not sure what the origins are, and it seems to have some variations, but the basic concept is that a knife given as a gift will "sever" a friendship. So the knife is "paid for" with the penny, to avoid this. A slight variation is that the giver of the knife also includes a penny, so the recipient can give the penny right back as payment.

I'm 59 and very familiar with that tradition and it was very common.
Also, it didn't have to be a penny or a pretty one at that.
The smallest coin in your pocket.

Same reason was given then, so it doesn't sever the friendship.

Just did this the other day with a good friend who retired and gave me a knife.

Those of the "greatest generation" are familiar with that old tradition. Another similar one is when giving a gift of a wallet or purse, a dollar is enclosed for good luck. It'd be great if "millennials" would likewise adopt such practices if for no other reason than to honor the past (damn I sound like a geezer, oh wait...).

...It'd be great if "millennials" would likewise adopt such practices if for no other reason than to honor the past (damn I sound like a geezer, oh wait...).

I like this. I will definitely keep this one going for any knife I receive as a gift. :thumbup:

I encountered a similar situation years back when I gave a co-worker an old CRKT that I had. He dug around in his pocket and gave me a couple of coins and said that I had to take them. I looked puzzled, then he said the same thing your friend did- if I don't give you something our friendship will be severed by this gift. This was 10 years ago now, but I remember the conversation well!

I've seen some do it many years ago, but none of my family did it, nor any of my friends.
Always thought it was kind of silly myself, but that's just my opinion.

I may just be antisocial, young, and stupid, but why would giving/receiving a knife as a gift "cut or sever" a friendship? Is this a knife pun (because knives cut and sever things?) or am I just socially unaware?

Giving gifts has done nothing but create and reinforce my friendships. Is the "cut or sever" thing sarcasm . . . ?

I had never heard it either. I gave a buck 301 to a cousin/coworker one day and he handed me a penny back. Said exactly what you did. No doubt an old superstition, but a cool tradition nonetheless.

I've heard of this tradition many times. I think that it is a pleasant way to say "thank you" for such a friendly and helpful gift.
Sonnydaze

My parents taught me that one, forever ago. Not really sure of the origins myself. They also had a strange other superstition of it being bad luck to close/sheath a knife that you didn't open/draw.

My grandfather told me this when I was 4 or 5 when he gave me my first knife. He gifted a penny with it as well. He said it was an old superstition that a gifted knife would ruin a relationship, but a purchased one was fine.

He also mentioned the bad luck associated with closing a folding knife that you did not open. No explanation, just that it was bad luck.

He had a third too and it's the only one I still faithfully continue, to draw your own blood immediately with a new blade. Just a tiny nick will do, for good luck. Specifically to ward off accidental serious injury from the blade later. Seems to be working, haven't had any stitches in quite a while. If you've bought or traded a knife from me, don't worry. They're fully sterilized before and after.

Hi! I am also familiar with this. In some provinces here it is believed that giving a knife as a gift to a friend will "cut" the relationship. Therefore, those who receive it, give back a coin (of little value) used to symbolically pay the gift received. Sometimes, for this reason, the one who gives a knife as a present includes a coin, so that those who receive it, can return the same as "payment".

In other provinces, stirring liquids or powders with a knife is considered to bring bad luck, hence the rhyme which reads: "Stir with a knife, dispute to come". In some alpine provinces instead, giving a knife is considered a sign of respect and trust. The knife is given always unpacked (but can be with a sheat), holding out the handle to the receiver, to symbolize trust and friendly intentions.

Some people I met believe passing a switchblade with the blade open to anyone will bring bad luck. Also someone believes that closing the blade of a folder that someone else had opened, will bring bad luck. I even heard people who are convinced it’s bad luck to open (or unsheathe) a knife without using it.

Some believe that a knife does not belong to an individual until this has hurt him. Those who believe in this superstition consciously prick a finger on the blade in order to avoid the risk of cutting badly accidentally later on.

Also here it is commonly believed that eating the food from the knife blade, instead from a fork or a spoon (or otherwise bring the knife to the mouth) will bring bad luck (and considered rude nevertheless). Superstitions are somehow interesting to explore and understand :).

This is supposed to be a reply to Fish Boy in Post 9. The forum won’t let me post it there.

You are examining this tradition with a modern mindset. These are pre-scientific cultural beliefs. You believe them because you grew up among people who believed them. In a dangerous world, where early death is commonplace, conservatism pays. Do it the way that’s always worked. You learned it from survivors. What looks like sarcasm to you was once a social verity.

“Cross my palm with silver so the knife doesn’t cut our friendship” is only one example.

It was commonplace to put a knife under the bed during childbirth. The knife would cut the labor pains and encourage a successful separation of child from mother.

On ship a knife stuck into the mast brought fair winds. But! On ship nobody said word knife out loud. That was very bad luck.

That noted cutlery authority Mother Goose tells us: “Stir with a knife and stir up strife.”

Mistress Goose also gives us a solution to the gift-knife-coin conundrum: While giving the knife you must recite: “If you love me as I love you, no knife shall cut our love in two.”

An old, pretty well known superstition actually. I think it is just a nice tradition, especially when explained as done so as not to sever the relationship.

'Course my dad told me it was bad luck to be superstitious.;)

Last edited:
I know the tradition. I was tolled by my grandfather it is the right thing to do.

Chinese tradition - my family affixes a coin, wrap the blade in a dollar (or more) when gifting a knife. Same backstory as not wanting to sever the relationship with the gifted knife. Similarly, when gifting a wallet or a purse we place money in it as 'seed' money so it'll never be emptyw/o money during its lifetime. Superstitious, maybe, but why buck tradition.

Back