A Sneak Peek at the Manticore Series

Metal fines pulled from the stone using a magnet to prevent any loose grit being present. This is 100% steel here. Look at the size and shine of those particles! The work of large, sharp abrasive grains.

17626390_1501986976509424_8119485032933141360_n.jpg

A closeup of the surface now that my personal one has broken in properly. Note the excellent grit protrusion caused by the difference in friability between the black and green grades of silicon carbide! This both improves cutting aggression, but also gives swarf lots of room for "chip clearance" to avoid loading up in use.

17800017_1504662032908585_3899468624765014994_n.jpg

And a quick video I shot today. If you wanted to bother it'd be possible to use this stone Cliff Stamp-style and get a shaving sharp edge off it, but it's not intended for such usage. Eating metal is what it's all about, and it doesn't hide it. :D

[video=youtube;2CGdYlRRNII]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGdYlRRNII&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Got mine yesterday. Haven't had a chance to use it yet unfortunately. Based on the video however, it looks like I'll like it.
Update soon.

The surface will feel kind of slick at first because of the as-molded surface but it'll quickly settle in to its proper texture. If you have a coarse diamond stone or wheel dressing tool you can use it to quickly break it in instead of waiting for it to do so through use. I've been using mine a lot and I'm lovin' it, though of course I'm biased! :D

Put mine through it's first bit of use today, have to say I'm pretty happy with it so far. I've already cut through the slicker out layer, doing some higher force regrinding scandi ground Mora 1095 blade @ 58-60RC converting to full convex with true distal taper. Also, changed the edge DPS Kershaw Clearwater 7-Step Filet 420J2 @ 52-56 RC in addition to regrindind the hollow primary over to much thinner flat grind.

It does stand up very well to higher pressures in grinding on softer/lower carbide volume steels in order to change blade geometries, most stones will shed abrasive far too readily for any kind of geometry changing of the blade due to high contact pressures combined with soft steel. Seems to work about perfect for this sort of work, which is mostly what I find myself doing with coarse stones.

I am not sure it would be a good idea to use this stone directly on the edge to set the apex however, it is extremely coarse and would put very high PSI on the apex causing chipping/fracture. If using to resharpen extremely quickly, you must leave the edge just shy of apexed and then transfer to a smoother stone (400 or up) to apex with good results.

Honestly this is the stone I have been looking for a while, fits in nicely between my Nubatama 24 & Sigma 120... has a bond strength/friability that is closer to the 24's tenacity without being borderline overkill like the 24. Also, does not seem prone to excessively shedding like the Sigma 120 (for anything but ultra light passes or high carbide volume steels).

What are you using as lubricant? Water, oil or dry.

So far, I've used it with water just a couple minute soak time. I think oil might be ideal for this stone.. just wanted to test it this way first. Using oil should provide less frictional losses, less wear of the abrasives and allow for the grit to remain at a more consistent sharpness without resorting to very high pressure/small contact area work in order to rip off the worn abrasives exposing fresh sharp particles.

The Manticore series was basically inspired by all those times I've sharpened knives for friends and family and it had been months or even years since they were last properly--if ever--sharpened. Indeed, you will not want to try setting your apex on it (though it's doable using the crossed scratch pattern trick with light passes) but it was designed with the singular goal of making bevel setting and damage repair a less tedious experience. :D Its hardness is calibrated to release grit under the pressures normal for that kind of work to keep the cutting edges of the grains fresh, but hard enough to resist dishing out excessively so you're not wasting grit that's still sharp or convexing bevels you may have been trying to keep crisp.

The stone can be used with water or oil, though I use water. The differential in friability has been sufficient to keep the grit fresh without having to force pressure on it, or at least for the pressure level I use as a default.

M6sc34J.jpg

Just got some new things in the mail, I set my knife next to them to reference size, I can't wait to try them out!

I haven't got the Manticore but it does seem like something I will get in the future.

I picked up the Arctic Fox scythe stone also, will be interesting to see how I like it as I've never used a stone shapes like a canoe before. I wish I had some recurve blades now, one of the main reasons I don't have any is because of the sharpening dilemma. I guess now I have a reason to pick up a knife or mod one of my knives to be recurved now.... :)

I finally had some time to use this stone and I must say it is exactly what I was looking for. Coarse that remains coarse through the sharpening process.

I've been using Norton SC stones for setting bevels the past year or so and the one thing I don't like is how the grit on these stones smooths out during usage. Also with regard to the manticore stone I tend to be heavy-handed by nature and the stone seems to really appreciate that. I know this user does.

I have set apexes with the stone in the form of a micro bevel and followed those up with a SC powder loaded strop.
I've done this with D2, S30V and good ol' 1095. I end up with a coarse, slightly polished edge that will just rip and rip and rip through cardboard boxes, zip ties and what have you all day long.
So far I'm not seeing any ill effects.

Interestingly, my sense is that this stone is going to maintain its flatness better than the Nortons as I'm just not seeing the sluffing in usage that l see with them.

I'm going to order a couple of these this weekend. I need a good metal eater and really like how this stone has proven itself in that role.

And for those without an Artic Fox stone... GO GET ONE! They are awesome.

I'm going to order a couple of these this weekend. I need a good metal eater and really like how this stone has proven itself in that role.

And for those without an Artic Fox stone... GO GET ONE! They are awesome.

My only regret is that I did not spring for two of these Manticore's, they are really nice for the money.

Spending a bit of time up in Bar Harbor and found some sweet sedimentary rock that looks like it has potential for use as a natural razor hone and I'm using my Manticore to flatten it. Workin' like a boss. :D

Back