A touching Thank You

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I recently had one of my swords gifted to an official of a very large company. My Daughter-in-law wanted to give him a really nice sword as a gift, as he is a student of Japanese swordsmanship and an aficionado of Japanese swords. She had no idea what a real sword costs, and wanted to spend $200-300. Since it was family, I had a really nice shoto-wakizashi/ o-tanto that was in a tsuka/saya of curly maple. The blade had o-kissaki with a lovely curvature and sugata. Some of you might remember it. I sold it to her for $300, which was about the materials in it. I had it tagged for $1000.

I was told that when he was presented with it at a corporate dinner last week he was in tears and couldn't speak for a while. He made an emotional address about receiving such a gift, and then placed it in his belt. He wore it around the corporate offices on an obi all the next day. When someone commented that they weren't sure about the security rules of a man wearing a sword in the headquarters ( very large banking company) another person commented, "Who wants to be the one to tell him, NO?" ( these are high level management and Vice-Presidential level people, BTW)

This was the email I just received from the recipient:

Dear Mr. Apelt,

I'm writing about the stunning and generous gift your daughter-in-law ****** gave me, which you made. *

The o-tanto (I've decided its a tanto and not a wakizashi since I'm better trained with a tanto) is absolutely stunning.* I was, and remain, floored by both the object itself and the generosity with which it is given.* The shape of the sword is absolutely gorgeous - I far prefer tantos with a little more curvature.* Did you water quench it to make the curvature? The metal-work of the blade itself is also stunning (and absurdly sharp).

I also love the color of the habaki (more white than silver in most light!) and the fit and finish of the koiguchi.* In fact, the furniture as a whole is amazing - light and lustrous.

I'm stunned and honored that **** gave it to me - every time a sword has come to my life funny doors have opened - it always has meaning and I'm always surprised and humbled by what that meaning is.

So, please accept my very best holiday wishes for you and your family!

All my very best,
jacob*

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the sword.

Attachments

• wakizashi large.jpg
    wakizashi large.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 151
That's really nice and heart warming for the holiday season.

The best part is "He wore it around the corporate offices on an obi all the next day. ".

Merry Christmas.

Wise of your daughter -in- law to present such a gift and very generous of you to oblige. I'm betting you derived more satisfaction from his response and letter than from the dollars you could have earned. I think all those $$s will come your way in any event as a direct result. Of course you built an absolutely elegant sword and sheath. Really beautiful :thumbup:.

Ray

Very cool story. It makes one feel good to give like this. In my experience, this type of gift gets paid back tenfold in repeat customers, and word of mouth referrals.

It's not my place to say so but it feels like this couldn't have been much better.

A sword was made. The maker generously sold it. The customer generously gave it. The recipient graciously received it. Well made, well given and well received; maybe this was the best possible outcome of your efforts in this. Actions like this make a craftsman great.

Back