A2 thin knife

This is the 2nd one of these light, thin knives I've made from the ESR A-2. This baby has a cool piece of Bolivian Rosewood for a handle, and I enjoyed working with it. 1/16" at the spine, and 0.005" prior to sharpening, extremely thin and light. You'd forget your holding it in your hand! Thanks for looking!

Nmp8f5R.jpg

POnaiye.jpg

Thanks Bob! Traumkommode....I actually do like the 1/16" blade stock, of course for smaller knives like this. Honestly, one of these days I would like to make a 1/16" chef knife, ala Takeda. Should be interesting. I've made a few parers out of 0.050" 52100. I still have a bit of that steel left, if you're interested in a very thin knife.

That'd be a slicer and dicer!!! LOVE thin knives!

I've got a PJ Tomes kitchen piece that's .050" stock, serrated, and the choil's so thin it's damn near sharp!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a great looking knife for sure. Im a big A2 fan and this would be heavily used in my house.

I can do one in 3V, but it will be pricey, as I would have to order the steel and outsource the HT. M390 I dont know where to source, but the same would apply. Thanks for the kind words guys.

Thanks Bob! Traumkommode....I actually do like the 1/16" blade stock, of course for smaller knives like this. Honestly, one of these days I would like to make a 1/16" chef knife, ala Takeda. Should be interesting. I've made a few parers out of 0.050" 52100. I still have a bit of that steel left, if you're interested in a very thin knife.

I've done quite a few 7" kitchen knives in 1/16". Light, fast, effortless to use. You don't really taper them, and offsets if any are quite minimal. The owners all love them, and none claim they are too flexy. The last one I did was in cru-wear, and what a knife that was!

This knife is awesome. Used it for the past 2 bar shifts. Perfect for all my bar tasks. Really fun to use.
Thanks SS!

Bob, thanks for the email and compliments on the knife!

Warren, I bet your customers are VERY pleased with your knives. The 1/16" CruWear sounds amazing!

A most excellent parer in the kitchen. The most kick a$$ steak knife in the restaurant.

Thanks for all the comments! My dad wanted one, he loves it. But I'm pretty sure his opinion is slightly biased!

20201107_211136.jpg
20201107_214032.jpg
Still the best knife in the house. Unbelievable. From tri-tip to limes to EDC this knife is absolutely my favorite. (Disregard any post where I mentioned a different knife was my favorite!)

Hopefully resurrecting this old thread again isn't frowned upon in this forum.
As I lazily decided to get one more slice out of the tri-tip before moving the big bbq fork down the line, I felt the edge grind against the side of the fork. Ouch. Thinking I'd definitely damaged it, I checked it out. Ran my fingernail, then a thin piece of plastic down the edge... couldn't even find the spot. And I thought, well, this is a custom, handmade knife! A small batch heat treat, attention to every detail.. that's what you're getting with a custom knife. Pretty sure my Wusthofs would have been marred. Anyway... love this knife.
20201106_144843.jpg 20201106_081218.jpg
Thanks again Stuart!

Last edited:
I have a stack of .07 15N20.

I finally made a puko out of it. I was surprised how sturdy it has been. After cleaning up the decarb, I bet it is .06.

Back