1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Air brushed solid color

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by High Standard, Jul 13, 2017.

1. High Standard

High Standard

Mar 23, 2017
    I borrowed my buddy's Harbor Freight airbrush. Did some basket weave and two color thread. Fully veg tanned lined.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ANovinc

ANovinc Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Nice looking. What'd you line it with? I see the liner fades into the edges--you skived it back?

3. High Standard

High Standard

Mar 23, 2017
    Thanks Amy. It's 2-3 veg tan. Yes, I skived the liner down into the welt.

4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Very nicely constructed and tooled. Kinda interesting the airbrush made it almost a negative image. Usually its darker in the depressions not lighter. Interesting effect.

5. kenjal

kenjal

Mar 17, 2013
    Nice looking sheath. Like how the airbrush turned out. Good job.

6. High Standard

High Standard

Mar 23, 2017

Thanks Dave. I think part of it was me not knowing what I was doing with the airbrush. Certain sections of the leather soaked in more dye than others even though I had a consistent even movement of the airbrush. Next time I'm going to wipe the veg tan down with denatured alcohol to remove some of the oils before the tooling. Then I'll air brush it to see. I really like the control of the airbrush for laying down the dye. It's much more consistent vs. applying by hand, especially if you want lighter shades of that particular dye. An airbrush is another tool on my list.

7. High Standard

High Standard

Mar 23, 2017
    Thanks Kenjal.

8. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Nice work!
    What did you use to clean the airbrush?

9. High Standard

High Standard

Mar 23, 2017
    Straight odorless paint thinner. Sprayed it through a few times, cleaned the cup, and removed the tip and used a small brush with more thinner just to make sure the tip was totally clean.

10. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Thank you!