Air gun set

I have had the lighter stocked gun for a few years both are Benjamin's, light stock 392 (.22 cal) darker stock is a 397 (.177 cal.)
Just got the second gun . Goal is to have the guns set up and sighted the same. both guns have 5D sights with twilight .125 apertures at 20 yards the shoot to the same point of aim . I have a RWS 34 but prefer these guns

P5140040_zpsghqwpxrf.jpg

Nice combo.:thumbup: I've been itch'in to get in to air gunning. Can't decide on what exactly to get, but leaning toward .22.So many choices.

I have Have both 22 and 177 and have shot 5mm (.20 cal ) a lot, the 25 cal guns are tempting. Bottom line is most big box and hardware stores have 22 and 177 pellets I have springers and co2 guns too good springers tend to be heavy and harder to shoot right co2 you have to buy co2 cylinders multi pump Benjamin's are lighter simple to shoot oil them once in a while and leave one or two pumps of air in them when stored and they will last longer than I will. max recommended pumps for these guns is 8 I sat in the garage for a while watching my feeders 4 times starling run wood peckers and song birds off my feeders every time one bird didn't leave with the group . I was shooting 4 pumps (.177) it killed starlings stone cold dead 2 40 ft.

Wow, those are nice! I only currently have a break barrel, but it is not even in the same class as those. Do either have any modifications?
Bruce

These guns have no mods other than sights. The triggers are not target grade but plenty usable. With these sights I can shoot minute of english sparrow or squirrels head at around 25 yards I have looked hard at pcp guns but keep coming back to the fact I can carry 500 round in my pocket and don't need anything else . I have been trying to talk myself into ordering a Hatsan 25 springer but keep going back to the fact what I have works for me. besides these 2 guns I have a RWS 34, a Crosman 1377 with a stock and a Crosman 2260 CO2 gun
Roy

I've been leaning toward the Xisico XS25, a knock off of the RWS 34. I'm willing to learn how to shoot springers.;)

RWS 34 Beside a benjamin. RWS is 2-2 1/2 lbs heavier than the benji. the RWS is no doubt the better of the 2 guns it shoots harder more accurate better quality. Yet for a hunter the weight ,compactness and simplicity of the Benjamin works better for me
P5180042_zpsgkhllaj2.jpg

Chronograph results from all my airguns just for your information
average for 10 shots ~5 ft from muzzle

all guns were using Crosman premiers 7.9 gr. for 177 14.3 for 22
Benjamin 397 .177 ------------ 775 fps
Benjamin 392 .22 ------------ 632 fps
Crosman 2260 .22 ------------ 524 fps
rws 34 .177 ---------- 928 fps
1377 .177
ten pumps ------------------ 500fps
15 pumps ------------------ 545 fps
it will dump all the air at 20 pumps but you only gain 10-12 fps
Roy

I grew up with pump guns, starting with an old Crosman from my uncle, then a Benjamin then a Sheridan. Now I have a few CO2 models that I occasionally play with but the one that I shoot the most is a BSA springer. The thing I like about the springer is that you open it (cock it), put in a pellet and you are ready to shoot. You can do more shooting than you can do with a pump gun. Of course the springers can be incompatible with scopes.

I grew up with a Benjamin .177 similar to the one in the OP. I inlaid a patch box/nipple box into the stock, kinda like on the old Kentucky rifles, so I can keep a good supply of pellets right with the gun. I also have a scope mount for it, and used it back when I'd spend the afternoon shooting birds out in the cow lot to 80 yards. Of course I missed way more than I hit at that range; it's about like shooting an old buffalo gun at 800 yards.

For my uses, I greatly prefer a gun that you can pump up like this. I used it for shooting sparrows & cowbirds in the barns and sheds all the time, and this way I could put just a couple pumps in it so I didn't put holes in the roof. If I wanted full power all the time, I'd just use a .22.

Mine used to be pretty accurate (I think the rifling has been buggered up by shooting darts with it in college); I could keep shots in a half dollar sized group offhand at 35 yards. But the pellets were obviously running out of steam at that range. If ya hit a grackle in the wing at that distance, more often than not it would just knock a bunch of his big wing feathers out, and he'd fly away unharmed. At longer ranges the bird had to be facing me directly so I could put it in a spot that wasn't armored. :)

I have read reports from many people over the years who are enthusiastic about going after bigger critters with airguns in this class, but I'm not one of them- had plenty of bad experiences in that regard, and almost no good ones. If I need to shoot anything bigger than a gray squirrel, I reach for a real firearm.

I have a Benjamin break barrel .22 just picked this up just because it's fun to shoot Umarex Steel Storm I love it.

My benjamin 392 accounted for a squirrel and a groundhog yesterday My lovely wife ordered me a benjamin trail np2 in 22 yesterday that will give me pumper hunting guns in 22 & 177 and break barrels in 22 & 177
Roy

I have one of these in .22.
need to go on Safari in my back yard with all the squirrels...Put a Vortex scope on it and need to sight it in...then off to do some plinking :D

AIRU1023HSR.jpg

I have a BSA Supersport break barrel springer in .22 that I have for a few years. I know that there are lighter guns with newer technology, etc., but this one has checked all the boxes for me over the years without a single issue. If I have one criticism, it is that it is almost too powerful. Still, it's a heck of a lot of fun.

I have a R7 that is over thirty years old with a Williams Foolproof, served me pretty well.

I ve taken many squirrels and bunnies with a benji 397. Classic gun, rugged , proven performer. A man could definitely limit out with one in small game season if he had a good spot.

Recently received my Air Arms Pro Sport and just ordered a Beeman P11. The Beeman probably won't get here until after 09/05/16 but I'll have to post pictures when I get a chance. Both are in .22.

I am with the OP, I prefer pumpers over springers and PCP for sheer simplicity of use and overall weight savings. I have had an old Silver Streak that is my go to hunting air rifle, it's compact, light and more than enough gun for tree rats. I have had many others over the years but they are gone now. The SS is all I really need, the 14 grain .20 caliber pellet moving at 625fps is a great small game round, and I like that I don't need to think about the way I hold it when I use it, just mount it, aim, and fire. A few ounces of pellets in my pocket is all I need for a great day of hunting.

silverstreak.jpg

Back