Aitor Gran Capitan

Does anyone on this forum have any experience with the Aitor Gran Capitan? I have been toying with the idea of getting one and I wanted to get an idea of what I was walking into.

It looks interesting, but at just over 4" folded, kind of large. If you get it, let us know your experience. The reviews on the river site add up to only 3 star, but there are only 5 reviewers so not sure to trust them.

Well, Aitor has been made knives for my country for +30 years and they made quality stuff. Not precision machines, not ultra high tolerances, but decent SAK inspired blades.

CAM03683_zpssoywctp4.jpg

They moved production to China a decade ago, and quality went down, no new designs, etc. etc.

CAM03615_zpssmjxdzol.jpg

But if you can get an older (pre 2003) Aitor and at a decent price, their fixed blades and multi purpose knives are a true bargain and very high quality Spanish cutlery

CAM03614_zpsqoeuusnn.jpg

I've had about 30 Aitors during my life, older ones were true winners and a high value option for enthusiasts, hikers, knife nuts and military alike, they even were military issue a while back, troops carried and used them a lot

CAM03660_zpsamoxjvid.jpg

DSC08140_zps3os5uiqs.jpg

They were one of the big companies and brands here in Spain, and they are still, but nothing like in the good old times

DSC08133_zpsyjtcnhjm.jpg

Oooooo thepeacent you may have turned me off. I thought these were still made in Spain. I knew the company had been purchased but I thought they were still producing mostly at home. When I was a kid here in the USA they were EVERYWHERE it seemed. Because I didn't know enough about them, and also having limited pocket money, I never took a chance on them. If I decide to do it I will keep my eyes open. Thank you both!

Oooooo thepeacent you may have turned me off. I thought these were still made in Spain. I knew the company had been purchased but I thought they were still producing mostly at home. When I was a kid here in the USA they were EVERYWHERE it seemed. Because I didn't know enough about them, and also having limited pocket money, I never took a chance on them. If I decide to do it I will keep my eyes open. Thank you both!

Well they got their golden era for sure, mainly in France, Germany and USA when they were still made here. Not that their current products are true crap or unusable, but you know what happens when these big companies move off-shore and change ownership, manufacturing place and processes etc.

Nothing like the good old ones. Glad I could help here.

Aitor is still manufacturing here.
They have changed owners and are trying to regain fame.
There is some Chinese model but the previous owner.
I think without the Atk series knives.
Anyway I have not seen any knife of this new walk in hand.
But I do not think they are bad
Something I have commented that they have made a limited series of a historical model of the brand with noble materials commissioned by a store.
I would try to contact the factory to make sure it is a razor of the new path.
But if you get a razor of the golden age of the brand better.
a greeting

Last edited:
Back