Alone; Multi-tool modifications

We can all argue about the subject in general and Alone specifically but I want to see more information about the modified multi-tools that Zack Fowler had as well as at least one other contestant used during the competition.
And WHY?! Has no multi-tool maker/designer made some offerings?
SAKs have great awls, great but very small saws and good blades. Scissors are helpful and so are pliers. But what about chisel, gouge, "spoon" blades etc?
Seems the contestants had to modify their own; Fowler used a Swisstool it looks like.
I am thinking of modifying a Leatherman Sidekick by turning the Philips into an awl, the can opener to "bowl scraper" and the slotted driver into a chisel.
Gonna grind them at work tomorrow at the ski shop if I get time. Got a wet ski edger that should work.

If you have any mods like this please post about them.
Cheers

There are multi-blade whittling knives on the market, but in general there are too many compromises for serious use, so they just are not as good as we would like to hope. The Victorinox comes with a chisel, which would be helpful, and if you knew that you were not going to need any screwdrivers then making some scrapers could be useful. But I feel like at that point you are so far away from what anyone else would predict that you might as well go custom. Its a tough thought but are 10,000 other guys going to want tools just like you? I doubt it.

after seeing how well they did with the multi's, I'd certainly take that as an option, but lets not forget that a multi is always a compromise.

I have a Flexcut Carving Jack which is a good carving multitool.
Think 4 or 5 have used multitools on Alone so far.

I've had a design for this for a while, but I just don't know if it would sell. A lot of it is based off of people who like the Flex cut carving jack. I don't know why people haven't looked at this more indepth yet.

the best way to go about it would be to use the SOG platform, as long as you use a consistent stock size, the milling for the tang/pivot area is pretty straightforward across the board. I thought at one time of setting up a set of tools for A/V use along those same lines. It might be easier to make single implements than an entire tool.

I've long pondered about something similar. Though I started with the idea of the 1800's "sportsman's knives" rather than a multi-tool.

Here's a couple examples for reference:
b42aebe6-1.jpg

111613926632.jpg

Just change out some of the tools for things specifically geared towards woodcraft & longer-term woods living. That hoof pick could easily be made into a crooked knife for carving bowls, for example. Keep the gimlet for boring, saw, add a chisel, hole for sizing arrows, or whatever ya want.

^^^^Those old multi-tool have some interesting blades, love the gimlet.

I was comparing my Vic Farmer and my Flexcut Pocket Jack; it would be awesome to have the 3 "woods" blades of the Farmer paired up with all 4 of the Pocket Jack.
Large utility blade, saw, awl, carving blade, v-tool, gouge and scorp.
Gonna have to get me a Flexcut Carving Jack.

Back