Alone Season 4 on June 15

Yeah this season pretty much sucked. I did like Brooke and Daves shelter. A real roof and a better fireplace and they would have been set. That chimney was strange lol. And the roof would have collapsed w the first wet snow. I liked the walls tho. Good protection from a scavenging bear. Yep more rabbit or other little critter traps squirrels etc. Set them and then go fishing and gathering. Not sure what hunting permits they had but looked like fall so they should have that coverd. Also I think reserves have their own rules don't know for sure though or if they were on reserve land. A black bear should not be too tuff to kill. Doesn't look like deer area. Just some rambling lol

It sucked. I didn't even want to watch the shows. They were generally kind of boring. I would guess one more season and if this interest continues, it's over.

Time to alter the setting if they want to save the show. The season in Patagonia was different but still too similar to those on Vancouver Island. Drop them in the desert or high alpine (or possibly a high-alpine desert) so we can see a different variety of skills and tactics. It would also appear that their cast selection process was different during seasons 1 & 2; after that, Alone became just like every other reality show, with contestants chosen for their ability to provide onscreen drama.

Looks like the 5th season will be in a new location. Looks like Colorado maybe? Big rolling hills and mountains in the preview. Also looks like there will be some returning contestants. The preview mention "familiar faces" but only aired their voices. I couldn't pick any of the voices out from the past seasons.

Hopefully the show takes a turn for the better. This season was kind of boring, using the same general location over and over sucks. Put them in the Everglades or some South American jungle.

I know it means added production costs due to the time spent "alone" but I would like to see the contestants in a environment where they could actually thrive a little more. Right now it's just a waiting game to see how long people can hold out until the effects of starvation are to much to take. I would like to see a location where hunting and/or trapping is actually a realistic option.

I think the one that mentioned "unfinished business" was the younger brother from Louisiana.

I know it means added production costs due to the time spent "alone" but I would like to see the contestants in a environment where they could actually thrive a little more. Right now it's just a waiting game to see how long people can hold out until the effects of starvation are to much to take. I would like to see a location where hunting and/or trapping is actually a realistic option.

I agree totally with you. This show has become who has to leave because they starved themselves the most. Granted if they had the skill set to harvest food they would not be in this predicament. We saw very little this time in gathering local vegetation, hunting, or herbal medicine for fighting stomach issues.The same ole same ole, go to the beach and turn over rocks to see what is there, especially when the fish supply dried up.

I agree also and it would add a different survival element to the show rather than the "starving man" approach. I think thriving might be a bit much, but certainly not starving and perhaps there could be judging qualifiers if more than a couple contestants made it through a set period of time.

Two brothers left because of kids birthday, as one said, " family more important than money". Okay so you didn't know you would be missing birthdays and other family events. Bailing out after thirteen days really, 7500 applicants and this is the crew that they came up with, so far disappointed in the show except husband wife team.

Yeh there should be some form of a formal disclosure statement added in that forces the contestants to pay back any misc expenses (travel, training, etc) when using apathetic excuses to tap out for reasons outside of medical, loss of BMI, etc. If anything it would deter those not mentally prepared for the remote isolation.

The spousal team should have taken it, since they had twice as much reward (ie, not having to split the clear 1/4 mill. The cheapskate producers should double the prize if 2 people are involved.

Everyone keeps taking the same stuff, doing the same things, with the same results, starvation. You'd think that, after 3 years, they'd have learned something from the previous shows. Like take a 2 person hammock, 1" mesh, made of 750 paracord. That's 2000 sq ft of 3" mesh netting, which you can easily produce in 2 weeks, while doing the other things that need to be done, too. Each day's production can and should be hung as a gill net. They can't even figure out to use a short log as a float at either end of their nets and a cordage-bag full of rocks at each end to anchor it. :) If you "think" that you have to tie the net to some large, heavy, existing item (like a huge tree) you are going to gave a very hard time on a sea coast. Your net is not going to be in a position to be catching anything almost half of the time.

make a protective case for the camera gear out of the rainsuit and duct tape. Tape the seams of the hard Pelican camera case and use it as a floatation basis for your outrigger log raft, so you can properly service your (many) crab traps and nets.

Netting can be wrapped (repeatedly) around sapling frames to make 'boxtraps" that can catch birds, crabs, fish, or mammals. Netting is just an amazing food producer, and only Dave M has had enough sense to make one.

Last edited:
I agree totally with you. This show has become who has to leave because they starved themselves the most. Granted if they had the skill set to harvest food they would not be in this predicament. We saw very little this time in gathering local vegetation, hunting, or herbal medicine for fighting stomach issues.The same ole same ole, go to the beach and turn over rocks to see what is there, especially when the fish supply dried up.

It would not be that way if they took the right gear and did the right things. They can't even see that they need to juice all that kelp that's right there in front of them! They dont take anything out of which to weave netting, so they cant catch enough fish to have heads/guts for baiting in a bear and arrowing it from a tree/blind. You'd think that the ones who are so scared of bears would bring a hammock and sleep up in a tree until they made a platform up there! :) It must be nice to be so financially secure that you are able to just throw away a clear 1/4 mill $, (and as much more in later endorsement deals, classes taught, etc.)

They go there in late fall, guys. That far north, the vegetation is all died back for the winter. You've seen that it takes all day to walk a mile on Vancouver, and you want them wasting time and calories looking for some plants? :)

there's no such thing as the 'fish supply drying up" when you are on a seacoast, and know what to do (ie, hang lots of netting, make lots of fish traps. ) Elaborate shelters are the bunk for this show. you'll starve out before you need more than a tarp shelter. You need to keep the shelter portable, so you can move it to where the squawwood is abundant. Not, as one guy did, cut big trees, buck the logs and then carry them 100m to his shelter. What a waste of time and calories! Ditto taking all day to make a 1 pint water bottle, when you can just fold and tie off the sleeve or pantleg of the rainsuit and carry several gallons of water. :) it's not rocket science to make a poncho out of a chunk of tarp! But you have to know to take the duct tape, which, so far, none of them have had sense enough to do.

I'm pretty sure that most of the faulty "thinking" results from backpacking. There's no bulk or weight limitations on this show, and you're not moving far, unless you make a pontoon outrigger raft. The terrain is too thick and slimy to risk it, you'll just get hurt and pulled off of the show.

I would like to see them move to a different environment like a tropical island or something similar. If it is to be a test of survival skills than changing the climate might be a nice way to test them as many are familiar with that type of wilderness.

If you guys are on Reddit, the various contestants on these shows do AMAs (Ask Me Anything) where you can ask them their reasoning for various decisions as well as solicit their advice.

I would like to see them move to a different environment like a tropical island or something similar. If it is to be a test of survival skills than changing the climate might be a nice way to test them as many are familiar with that type of wilderness.
Yeah, count me in for Fiji.

Back