Am I being too picky?

I took delivery of only my second Randall yesterday, and if you don't mind, I'd like to run this by you to see if it's within the range of tolerances for a brand new Randall.

I bought it from a reputable big name retailer who places orders with Randall and charges a premium.

It's a #28 Woodsman, and it arrived wrapped in tissue with a new sheath, stone, and standard Randall literature. FYI, I'm undecided if this will be a user or a collector.

When I unwrapped the knife, it was kind of dirty, which I thought was odd but no big deal, so I wiped it off with a chamois and inspected the knife. It's a well designed, robust woodsman's knife. It wasn't super sharp, but I've heard that Randalls don't come from the factory all that sharp. As I looked closer, I noticed some things not present in my other Randall, and that have me scratching my head a little with regards to a knife this expensive. Swirls throughout the brass and a faint zipper like mark (tooling?) along the spine within the tang. I'm a neophyte, so perhaps this is normal or just the grain of the steel?

Tell me if you think this is off, or if it's fine and I'm being a princess . . .

6pTPZf.jpg

3lcuoM.jpg

oryPXQ.jpg

SoN4lr.jpg

Only you can decide. If you don't like it now, you'll never like it; so, send it back for a full refund and explain why you sent it back. Or, sharpen it, use it, and be happy. I do have a question. With so many authorized RMK dealers selling at catalog price (they get 25% off), why would you pay a premium?

Melvin, thanks for the response, I suspect you're right at the end of the day. It's an easier decision if I knew if everybody's knife looked like this or just mine.

With regard to the price paid, I misspoke, I looked at my receipt and got it at the Randall catalogue price. My initial recollection was that it had been a bit higher.

I'd say that is the quality of what is coming out of the Randall shop these days.

My 28 and others have tooling marks also. It's part of the hand made I suppose

Back