Am I Being Unfair to Knife/ Gear Reviewers

I like most enjoy YouTube knife reviews and will often watch a few before or after I buy or trade for something. However I find that I make a judgment about reviewers on a strange basis. I tend to think of some as knife guys and others not. What I end up doing then is saying to myself if this guy was really into knives he wouldn't say this or that, or more accurately just a nagging feeling that this person just doesn't get it. A few examples of non-knife guy knife reviewers would be prepared mind 101, nutnfancy, gideonstactical, even the late boy scout. While knife guys would be TheApostlep, soloknifereviews, knivesgunsandgear, or Nick Shabazz. Does anyone else make this distinction or am I crazy? (I know I'm crazy but specifically in regards to this)

Yes, you are bat shit crazy. Just kidding, to each their own. I've watch videos from all of those guys and frankly they just look at knives differently. I guess it depends on your mindset, your job and what you think of a knife as. TheApostlep knows his grinds, steels etc very well, and I respect his knowledge on that. However, I often find myself completely disagreeing with his overall opinion on what is a good/bad knife. Where comparing to a guy like Nutnfancy, who has the mindset of a former military man, and how a knife would function in that aspect, and isn't all about grind lines, relief edges. He cares more about the practical knife aspect of a knife - and since we have some things in common I find that his opinion seems to be better for my for my usage. I wouldn't refer them as non-knife guys... they are knife guys. It is like; just because you aren't a gunsmith doesn't make you a non-gun guy.

First of all I wanna say that I can't stand gideonstactical and , while I can't remember why I decided this I just know I don't watch his video's.
One thing I have learned is that we all have our own pre formed knife preferences and it's best not to listen to the reviewers opinions, but rather watch the knife perform and let it speak for itself.
I hear their description and analysis of F&F and sharpness to pretend I'm handling it in person but that's it. I can see what the knife is, so I don't care if they like it.

Lot of variety out there, something for everyone to connect with. What a time we live in, when you are interested in a knife you are a youtube search away from lots of great videos on one!

Why do you pass "judgement" and even worse on YouTube videos?

If you have to ask yourself a question and made your own assessment - why ask others?

Simple solution to your question: hit the back arrow and quit judging people.

It's a YouTube video, you're the only person that makes you a captive audience.

I oftentimes look up video reviews only because I like to see the knife in motion. I usually mute the commentary.

As they say you only get one chance to make a first impression.

If when I watch a video it doesn't catch me from the word go I shut it off and move on.

I oftentimes look up video reviews only because I like to see the knife in motion. I usually mute the commentary.

I do this as well especially if it's a knife that I am really curious about of course there are the times when all I can find is reviews from non-English speakers which I mute as well

I like to understand where the reviewer is coming from, what matters to them, or if they even use their blades. I don't think it would be unfair to grossly lump them into collectors, knife guys, and gear guys.
Obvious example of a Gear guy would be Nutn. He buys knives that look cool doesn't particularly know about the finer aspects of a knife or why they matter. But he'll use it and tell you if it cuts well, batons well, etc
Knife guys are gear guys who do have a passion for knives. I would probably put Cliff Stamp in this category. He'll use knives, picky about them and can explain why he's picky.
Collectors- Jim Skelton is a perfect example. More concerned about the aesthetics of a knife not as much about the performance of the knife.

Big problem with reviewers is that most don't spend any time with their knife. Nutn should be more concise in his reviews and I really wish he had more knife knowledge, but he typically uses his knives for a good while before reviewing. At least he has a decent impression of the knife. Too many people beat the crap out of it for 20 minutes or really don't do anything with it.

I like most enjoy YouTube knife reviews and will often watch a few before or after I buy or trade for something. However I find that I make a judgment about reviewers on a strange basis. I tend to think of some as knife guys and others not. What I end up doing then is saying to myself if this guy was really into knives he wouldn't say this or that, or more accurately just a nagging feeling that this person just doesn't get it. A few examples of non-knife guy knife reviewers would be prepared mind 101, nutnfancy, gideonstactical, even the late boy scout. While knife guys would be TheApostlep, soloknifereviews, knivesgunsandgear, or Nick Shabazz. Does anyone else make this distinction or am I crazy? (I know I'm crazy but specifically in regards to this)

I see most of your examples as non knife guys. I mean nutnfancy collects production knives but he doesnt go super deep with it. He is a gun/survivalist/bugout type reviewer who has a passing interest in blades because knives are often used in his field of expertise. But in these cases its simply a matter of watching a different reviewer. Nobody can claim their is a lack of reviewers. As such the personalities and knowledge base is so varied nearly everyone can find a channel for them. And its much easier for watchers to seek out reviewers they identify with and relate to rather than individual reviewers trying to make everyone happy. I think the only thing that bugs me about reviewers is when they put out completely false information as fact. Not opinions mind you but just flat out incorrect facts. Id rather not touch on a subject than repeat complete bs. But the rest of it? I dont really care. I just find another reviewer. Though i will admit i hate Nick Shabazz's voice real or not.

Last edited:
It's not that they aren't knife guys. It is more like they are just a different kind of knife guy than you are. That's a good thing. How great that knives can bring such diverse people and opinions together. Arguing about knives MUST be our passtime or why would anyone stay on this forum? Sure it's nice to have someone agree with your viewpoints; even better is convincing someone who previously disagreed or being convinced of something you didn't know.

I agree with what has been said by others here. Everyone has different tastes and priorities when it comes to knives. I don't want to start a subjective argument, but I can say that there's two guys in your "fake" list that I would much rather listen to than one of the guys on your "real" list. Probably just because you and I have different uses, priorities, or values when it comes to knives. Just don't watch them if you don't like them, life is too short to waste your time on something you don't like.

I'll watch my fair share of videos when i'm interested in something, it bugs me when the reviewer is constantly opening and closing the knife while they are speaking and taking it out of focus. I really enjoy Nick Shabazz as a reviewer, not sure why but I can usually watch his videos beginning to end without having to skip over most of it.

Disagree. I enjoy all those guys. As a backpacker and climber, I admit, I get a little judgey and roll my eyes over weight comments, batoning, and chopping, but I still find useful info in all of them.
That said, I am not nearly as knowledgeable about knives and steels as most on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

clearkevin I think to label those reviewers as non-knife knife reviewers, and to make the inference they don't get it, is elitism. 👎

good comments and I agree you need to find the reviewers that suit your style and generally have similar preferences to you I should probably say that I do watch all.the guys I mentioned fairly regularly and find some good in mosteoporosis of what they do even when I dorms agree thanks for all the responses and I think it was said well above that maybe I'm just talking about my categorizing reviewers

Based on your list of reviewers, I tend to view your non-knife guys as knife guys and your knife guys as non-knife guys. I lend an ear to them all as they each have their own unique perspective and use cases. Regardless, nothing beats coming to your own conclusions once you have a knife you have always wanted in your own hands being used the way you envision the knife being used.

The absolute worst is a table top review. Anyone can google the specs. If you don't have a video of you using it in the three or four basic chores I need them Im wasting my time watching. There are probably thousands of dudes opening a box and handling a knife and calling it a review.

Get that thing dirty.

A lot of those guys have something to say. The question is how much? The one thing that i can say about Nutnfancy is that early on, he was actually willing listen to folks who had more knowledge about certain knifey things than he did.

Back