Am I Being Unfair to Knife/ Gear Reviewers

One of the channels I like most is cutlerylover because he has no problem using an Ozark trail knife and giving it an honest assessment. There are other channels that aren't bad but tend to be a bit knife snobby. One of the channels I dislike the most is Jim skelton because everything he shows is an ugly overbuilt hunk of machined material.
My favorite channel to watch muted is Jake ibidavitch ( hope spelled it right ) because while I am not fluent in German I absolutely love the beautiful vintage fixed blades and bowies he shows off.

One "problem"that I have is that some reviewers get fixated with one brand to the point where they come off as fanboys.

I watch knife reviews for entertainment only. I've come to understand that knife reviewers, whether knife guys or not, know far less about what works for me than I do. As more and more knife reviewers get sponsored by gear and equipment, I hold them in less regard.

Whenever someone is "sponsored" to say something, I find it very easy to disregard what they're saying and immediately question what they have to say.

When it comes to matters of taste, and that's really what most knife selections come down to, trust your own hand.

the worst of the people you mentioned i would have to say is PM101. a lot of his reviews are sponsored and just seem forced. plus the whole "gauntlet" thing, thats the most annoying. i remember that one time i was looking up reviews for a worksharp field sharpener i think it was and all the ones i could find were "gauntlet" reviews all saying the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good thing about the variety of Youtubers is that you discover some affinity or commonalities of views/judgement with some of them
This can be very helpful to get a first idea on a knife you haven't carried or handled yourself.

Are they knife guys or not depends a lot of your personal definition of what is a knife guy :)

Table-top reviews are OK when I'm curious about F&F, ergonomics, and size comparisons with other knives (listed specs don't quite get a good picture in my head), but there needs to be more reviews of people using the darn knife!

I can't imagine reviews of any other tool where there would be a long review (video or otherwise) where they don't even mention how it is in use.

How about the guy who opens every video with him in some kind of ninja mask whacking at bushes? LOL

I am generally very grateful for all those people who take time to make YT reviews of knives because I would never do one myself.
The very different approaches that the individuals have usually help me to get a good idea on whether I like a knife or not.

I typically review more than just one video or written review based on the fact that everyone has their own opinions. If there is a reoccurring problem in more then a few of the reviews then I take that into heavy consideration. If it's not I weigh the cons and make a judgment call based on the severity of the problem.

Hi. Never really been a “YT guy” but lately I am a bit overwhelmed by YT reviews. Sure they can be an helpful tool but, for me, it’s just too much :). I am very much back at written reviews, possibly by someone who has actually used the knives he/she’s writing about. I find most of YT reviews today kind of “invasive”. Most of the times today I am somehow annoyed by the tone of voices, the useless loooong ramblings surrounding the only one message worth of attention, the very common (and easily spot) lack of first-hand experience in the use of the tool and the incredible only focus on “flipping actions” here or OCD borderline issues with fit & finish and similar stuff there :D. I’m probably a bit harsh here but that’s just me and likely because I had my overdose of these YT video “reviews” :). Was a fresh and interesting entertainment when it started years ago; today it tastes a bit stale and old to me. Sure there are still some occasional exceptions and gems out there. What I really still value on YT are tutorials, the “how to do” something (e.g. disassembly, cleaning, fixing, building up, etc.). That is really helpful and I still learn a lot :thumbup:.

That is maybe the line between the "knife guy" who likes knives that are nicely done and operating and the "knife guy" who likes knives for being functional and affordable
Both are knife guys... just different ones ;)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I like most of the guys you mentioned. I enjoy your videos as well. I think after a while, personality plays a big role in my decision on whether or not to watch a video. Some reviewers seemed to become "know it all's" after they became popular (looking at you gideonstactical and apostle p), but I still watch some of their stuff because they do know a lot. I don't think it's being unfair to them. Everyone has their own opinions and it's good to hear them...

With some guys there seems to be a passion for sharp stuff which is contagious sometimes I think this person could be talking about anything

A few examples of non-knife guy knife reviewers would be prepared mind 101, nutnfancy, gideonstactical, even the late boy scout. While knife guys would be TheApostlep, soloknifereviews, knivesgunsandgear, or Nick Shabazz. Does anyone else make this distinction or am I crazy? (I know I'm crazy but specifically in regards to this)

by your distinction I can say I like the "non-knife guy" reviewers the most: they go out and enjoy their knives by actually using them.

A few examples of non-knife guy knife reviewers would be prepared mind 101, nutnfancy, gideonstactical, even the late boy scout. While knife guys would be TheApostlep, soloknifereviews, knivesgunsandgear, or Nick Shabazz. Does anyone else make this distinction or am I crazy? (I know I'm crazy but specifically in regards to this)

i dont consider Nick Shabazz a knife expert. he is very smart and has been collecting knives for a while now, but... he's an office knife guy. he likes flippers primary. no way would i call him a knife guy over Gideon which actually does testing of knives.

so i think your are wrong in the way you are trying to explain it.

i get what you are trying to say tho... Nick very much understands what he likes in his use in his EDC rotation of his world.

sorry, just used Nick and Gideon as an examples, not trying to validate everything.

im not a fan of solo, i watch his channel but i find him not very knowledgeable in comparison to others. he is entertaining to watch for the subject tho, i do subscribe to him.

If you are spending the kind of money some of these knife makers are charging for their warez, youtube is a great source for information. I have started making videos on knives because I think wanted to bring a perspective to knife carrying that I wasn't seeing a lot of. People in office settings who want to have an EDC knife that is for them. It is blossoming into a passion for knives in general and I am putting other knife and gun reviews up as well as Tech and some others. This is a big world we live in and not everyone communicates the same with all people. Find what works for you and enjoy. Nick Shabbaz's voice drives me NUTS and Birdshot IV's wife grates my nerves, but those are minor things and I enjoy their videos in spite of my hangups with their voices.

No I don't think you are being unfair. Its mainly entertainment.
Don't have any problem with unboxing, and some do it a little more professional than others. Just tells you what to expect from the box. Sometimes compares to the usuals.
I don't mind people's enthusiasm in taste of what they like looks and mechanism wise.
I don't mind the "I'm going to beat on this knife to an inch of its life; take what you will from it".
What I don't like is when the reviewer raves how great the knife will be to use when they haven't used it, or used it enough to be able to say. It takes a good few hours of use to have any idea, or a few minutes if rubbish. Some reviewers obviously have never done a days manual work in their life. (For collectors, for collecting sake this doesn't matter).

prepared mind 101, hasn't got a clue because he never gets out of his garden and never done a full days work in any manual trade. The respectable side of mall ninja. You can't test a knife's handle wearing gloves. Beating on a log just proves the knife can take it and the edge won't roll.

nutnfancy, gets out a bit more and has a bit more fun. Think he is finding some of the toys aren't quite what he cracked them up to be. Playing in the woods and enjoying himself but its not real. Real is far less exciting.

gideonstactical, is doing his best but not terribly into knives and following the crowd a bit. Truth is almost any knife can be made to work adequately, and he is coordinated enough to get most to work. Being "into knives" is something different. Think he does the knife reviews as its goes with the rest he is doing. Other stuff is more interesting to him. Well thats my impression.

Great Lake Prepper, is the closest reviewer to what I think. He has a satirical angle and proves the point he is making even if that means doing something he wouldn't do for real. Done to prove the point. Seems to me he has done the practical and his reviews are based on what works rather than imagination. Certainly questions some of the rot spouted elsewhere. doesn't take fools lightly.

Tactical: is growing up a bit now. Can't deny the enthusiasm.

Mayor Fuglycool: doesn't pretend to be anything other than what he is; enjoying himself for his and our entertainment.

Dutch Bushcraft Knives, not jut having fun as they give the blades in review a good beasting.

Junglecrafty, he is there so tells what works for him.

There are many others and as said it varies tremendously. I like it if the reviewer put some effort in and actually gets out and does some work. Beating for beating sake doesn't show much. More "in actual use" use would be more helpful. Or just show their enthusiasm. Have to say I search out "how people do stuff and craftsmanship" rather than video catalogue reviews now.
Big subject.

Lastly, its annoying when those researching for the first time hit some of the poorer efforts first. Have to dig a bit deeper, me thinks. Take it all with a pinch of salt too.

I have said for years that just because you have freedom of speech doesn't mean you really have anything of merit to say. Youtube is like that. Just because you have been given the bully electronic pulpits to speak does not make you an expert on any field of your choosing.

I often enjoy the videos of non knife people such as hunters and other sportsmen.

There is a great video of the Spyderco Atlanic Salt on YT that a yacht captian made. You often get information on those videos that you wont from knife guys. Often these knives are giftet to them and they flat out say if something is not to their liking from a practical standpoint. Knife guys often feel the need to justify their expenses.

Back