Am I Being Unfair to Knife/ Gear Reviewers

I always enjoy the unboxings where the guy takes 5 minutes of an 8 minute video to tell you about what is in the box before he even attemps to cut it open with a dull knife. 😃

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

here is a question for those of you who want the reviewer to use the knife. what would you have them do? I am friends with one of the mentioned reviewers and he would like to know. I mean its a folding knife he isn't going to baton with it because that's not what its meant to do. are we talking cutting rope? boxes? what would you like to see?

Like some other have mentioned, I mainly just look at videos to get an idea of the size, features, and general design. I almost always mute the audio.

I tend to do this more on folders and not so much on fixed blades. I can usually look at a fixed blade's specs, blade geometry overall design and tell you if it's going to be a better slicer, chopper, Batoner (sp?), filet or general use knife. There is only so much you can really say about a fixed blade in terms if actual use. At least IMO.

Great topic Kevin! I see what you are saying but the way I see it is that they all specialize in certain areas of knives. All of these reviewers have handled MANY knives and because of that alone, have formed a basis of knowledge and an opinion. I know what works for me so I can decide for myself if I choose to buy a new knife on their advice. But more importantly, I like to watch a vid of a review on a knife I already own. If that person has similar likes and dislikes of the knife as me after I used it for a while, I see them as like minded and view their opinion more highly.

Gideon: Bushcraft, fixed blades
Prepared mind 101: Survival, fixed blades
Nutn: tactical, gear, guns
Last Boyscout: tactical, gear, guns
Cutlerylover: Edc
Shabazz: EDC, folders, custom, knife philosophy, design, knife comedy
Solo: custom, folders, knife philosophy, design
ApostleP: folders, traditional, knife philosophy, design, history
EpicSnuggleBunny: Design, folders, history, custom
Skelton: custom, history
Kevin Cleary: folders, knife philosophy, design

I don't subscribe to any of these guys and while I first would watch several of them I came to the realization after buying products based off of glowing reviews that I either didn't like or didn't share their view of the knife that they were the same as me; a knife guy with opinions. The only difference is that they are putting their opinions on youtube with a video camera. I will still from time to time watch a video on a knife but I take them with a grain of salt most days.

If I were to have a channel I would like to do an initial review, a 3 month or 6 month review, and maybe a year long review?

There are some that their personalities I just can't stand as well and avoid them like the plague.

A couple of pet peeves:

1. Acting like what's in the box is a surprise. The title tells us what's in the box; theirs no need for a "well lookey here...what's in the blue benchmade box?"
2. Going over specs on camera. I can read specs on every website that has them listed.

I don't necessarily like all those guys you mentioned, but I wouldn't say any of them aren't "knife guys". They may not be the same kinda knife guys as YOU, but that doesn't make them not knife guys.

I always enjoy the unboxings where the guy takes 5 minutes of an 8 minute video to tell you about what is in the box before he even attemps to cut it open with a dull knife. 😃

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

That's funny. I was thinking the same thing....

I like nutnfancy! Can't stand the apostles knife sharpening commercials!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice topic Kevin. Thanks for mentioning me. A few have mentioned you want to see the knife in use. A fixed blade I get, but an EDC folder? You want to see the reviewer use it for typical edc tasks like opening a package, cutting a loose string, cutting cordage or rope and food prep? I'm always looking for ways to improve my videos and appreciate the feedback as long as it's in a constructive form. Believe me we get comments on how our video sucked because we don't agree with that particular person on that particular knife. Happened twice to me today alone. Cracks me up. After all we are knife guys like you and are sharing our opinions. No one claims to be a "knife expert" or that our review is that end all be all.

Great comments in regards to seeing the knife in use I actually don't like that if I can't trust this person to tell me how the knife worked in use then I don't want to watch that video in the first place. As far as sharpness goes they could have just sharpened it three seconds before hitting record I could put an edge on a butter knife then extol its sharpness in a review.

Knives should be used for other stuff besides cutting paper,as any knife can do it.Some people asume that knife cuts well when they cut piece of paper with it and thats ridiculous ,in my opinion.Most reviewers review in favor of companies that send them stuff for free if they get positive review.I do not really know of anyone that tests the knife that they review,nutnfancy did it few times with cold steel knives in wilderness,Cliff stamp did some testing and Jankerson.The other ones just do table top reviews and paper cutting.

For me I like field reviews more than table top reviews. Given I like fixed blade knives over folders. I want to see how the knife preforms I don't need to see it on a table for 10min. I want to see some hard use footage and feedback from the youtuber about handle comfort and durability of the knife. However if it was a fixed blade knife I would want to see a table top review.

Nothing more boring than "unboxing." ;)
:mad:They don't bore me ! I just scream at the fools to DO something with the knife and then FF thru to see if they do it .:rolleyes:

I most enjoy when the reviewer puts the knife to some kind of test . I even like "hard use" tests , even though some of the stuff they do is :eek::poop: outside my normal need . Still it gives me a good measure of the build quality and how it would hold up longterm .

Knives should be used for other stuff besides cutting paper,as any knife can do it.Some people asume that knife cuts well when they cut piece of paper with it and thats ridiculous ,in my opinion.Most reviewers review in favor of companies that send them stuff for free if they get positive review.I do not really know of anyone that tests the knife that they review,nutnfancy did it few times with cold steel knives in wilderness,Cliff stamp did some testing and Jankerson.The other ones just do table top reviews and paper cutting.
o_OSearch " hard use knife test " and you'll find some . Lots are in Russian( or whatever gibberish) but may have subtitles . Often one can kinda tell whats happening -like when a knife falls apart :eek::poop: ! They are my favorite kind of reviews .:)

;)You young whippersnappers just don't appreciate what you've got these days in terms of informational resources . Back in the day , you had to just "ask around " and that was mostly face-to-face and through the grapevine . Bet you haven't the slightest concept of what I'm ranting about .:mad:

Most of the time you just had to rely upon the reputation of a company or brand name . It seem that actually meant something back then . Then there was the Edsel !:eek::poop:

clearkevin,

I've watched many of your videos over the last few months. Thank you for your efforts. Personally, I try to take what everyone says with a grain of salt. With patience, most of the reviewers touch on whatever things I want to know about. Like any hobby or collection, there are people within any group that look at details that for real life applications hardly makes a difference, may just be for bragging rights, personal preference, or related to the particular things they prioritize doing with their knife. Even on this forum I've read some real knife connoisseurs belittle how professionals who rely on their knives daily use or treat them. I'm not a professional BTW. My personal gripe is when a YT reviewer chokes up on the blade, says how it's great for fine, detailed work, then moves his grip back 1/2" (maintains that same saber grip but now more on the handle) than says how it can be used as a tactical knife. Sorry, a fine detailed work grip moved 1/2" onto the handle doesn't make it a tactical knife IMO... although others may disagree. Another gripe is when a reviewer belittles one grip technique or another because it doesn't work for making feather sticks... not all ways of holding a knife are meant to make feather sticks. I still appreciate their efforts, their passion, and the overall information which helps me make a more informed purchasing decision.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Yes,Ive watched some of Russian knife tests and liked them.Table top reviews and paper cutting is BS,as any knife or piece of steel can be sharpened to do this.Most youtubers just talk,talk and talk,in the end they havent said much at all,you still have to buy the knife and see for yourself.Its mostly unboxing,nothing else,stopped watching it!

Heck, I like all of the reviewers, knife guys or not. Sometimes its refreshing to hear a non-knife guy's perspective, honestly.

One thing I think they should all do is to have a four-second screenshot with the manufacturers' specs (sizes, weights, materials, etc.); that way, viewers can pause it and even refer back to it. That leaves the rest of the video for content with actual use. Gun reviewers could almost do the same.

I like nutnfancy! Can't stand the apostles knife sharpening commercials!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The opposite for me. There is no useful information in a Nutnfancy video... Apostle has excellent photography and moves the knife slowly in close ups, even if I disagree sometimes with what he says... Nutnfancy only ever spouts bland un-insightful banalities like they were a big deal, and never even discusses edge angles and edge thicknesses: That is, literally as if he doesn't know this data exists...

Gaston

nutnfancy videos are not that great. some of the knife videos he does (which he doesnt do often or at all anymore) are fine, but nothing that great. i like the one where he tries to destroy a bunch of knives out in the backcountry, id say thats a good episode. overall he's more interested in guns etc. id say he probably sold a lot of knives fr sure. i bought a mcusta because of him.

Apostle ... has his pros and cons. not a huge fan at all. i still will watch if he's reviewing a knaf im interested in, but only then. i wont just watch his feed to watch his content, like i would with say, Nick or Dutch Bushcraft Knives, which i anticipate watching each weekly. im glad that he sharpens some of the knives. you get a better understanding sometimes, if he shares that information pertaining to the steel that he sharpened. he gets into some drama a lot. alot.

Back