Am I Being Unfair to Knife/ Gear Reviewers

My English teacher once said "your story should be like a mini skirt, long enough to cover the subject and short enough to keep your interest" :)

Now, this whole thread, when I started to read it, sounded more like a request of "what do you think of my youtube reviews?" without coming direct to that point. I may have read into it but that's how it seemed, looking for any support to see if what you have been doing is good, or you need to change this or that.

My take on youtube reviews, I agree with a lot here, table top reviews can be kept shorter, and enough unboxing please the tension just kills me... :)

I like some practical edc chores being shown, deployment from pocket to where the edge is in play. I'm mainly, almost strictly, a still photo guy but have made a couple of videos, none that I'd deem as good, but I might start to practice shooting more, uploading videos on a dsl line is staggeringly dull !

I don't have any real favourites, I've seen several of your reviews when searching on a particular knife, you do cover the aspects of the knife pretty well, some more practical use showing may be of more interest though.

While this person isn't doing a review perse, I like watching the Bark River Knives weekly walk around, he keeps them short and you do see a lot of what's going on, again, not a review but more an advertisement for one of our major Dealers here on Bladeforums, KnivesShipFree, he keeps things interesting and quirky and his sister pops in to also add to the mix and even Derrick makes an appearance from time to time. Again not a review, but it is short and keeps my interest and you can see the passion they have about their knives. I do not own any Bark River knives myself so please do not take this as a shameless plug, doesn't garner me a darn thing, but, it's something I enjoy watching week to week.

And who doesn't enjoy Nick's patter ? what a neat sounding voice he has too.
G2

Last edited:
I only watch two channels regularly Nick and TheApostleP

Nick is a guy I think I'd probably get along with in real life, I don't think he's in anyway a knife geek but I do like his commentary on fit and finish and disassembly.

TAP is someone I wouldn't get along with what so ever in real life but I enjoy he's talks about sharpening his philosophy behind it both informative and entertaining. Having handled more than a couple of the knives he's reviewed and have agreed with what he said I'd probably buy something he'd recommend without handling it.

I used to watch some LateBoyScout but then I watched a couple videos of him shooting and realized that he can't really shoot so it made me question his opinion on knives. (how I equated the two I'm not sure but that's what happened)

clearkevin I think to label those reviewers as non-knife knife reviewers, and to make the inference they don't get it, is elitism. 👎
I dunno. I watched one of those guys swing an axe and instantly knew he "doesn't get it." Am I an elitist because I know the guy has no idea what he's doing? Apparently axes suck for woodworking if you're inclined to listen to his opinion. LOL

As to the op. Nah. You have an opinion and that's fine. I'm like a lot of posters. I click on reviews to see the knife do something. I rarely care what the reviewers opinion is. I still listen to them because even ignorant and/or unskilled people can drop a nugget of knowledge that's worth hearing. Pick up enough nuggets and you can cobble them together to strengthen your skill set.

I watch lots of YT videos on knives usually just look for a specific knife and watch a random selection of them that cover what I am wanting to hear about. I take them all with a grain of salt they aren't all going to get everything right so we can't expect perfection plus they review based on their needs and expectations which may or may not match up to yours. I would love to see some of the knives used in food prep because I do use mine for that and its a good thing that can be show cased. I will say one gripe is the times I see reviewers treat a defect that is plausibly just a one off as a sign of all models from that maker/manufacturer.

Back