Amazing Accomplishment. "13" Years Sober Today

Congrats, that's a hell of an accomplishment. Probably worthy of buying yourself a new knife.

^ This is definitely a knife worthy accomplishment! :thumbup:

Congratulations on a truly outstanding achievement. My hat is off to you, as well as others who struggle with addiction and continue to fight the fight. Live one day--one breath--at a time.

^ Amen to that!

Keith you are not one in a hundred, you are one in a million.:)

Well done brother, stay strong. You are an inspiration.:thumbup:

^ Indeed!

There sure are some awesome, caring, supportive people on this forum. :thumbup: Congratulations, Keith- I'm proud of you! :encouragement:

Your words of experience and wisdom have helped me and I truly appreciate them. Thank you so much for taking the time to help others.

Great accomplishment!!!...I agree that you deserve a new knife...

I quit smoking in 1985 and then quit drinking in 1991...I did a lot of both...so, every so often I think about how much money I have saved and buy myself a new toy...

Congratulations, I have also been sober for a while and understand the feeling of accomplishment. 13 years is definitely something to be proud of.

Addictions are really tough. They ruin our lives and the problem is that the addicted person frequently doesn't care enough to deal with it. They can't see it. Drug additions are the worst although I have had people tell me that quitting smoking is harder for many. I have a brother-in-law that is an alcoholic and I suspect that is how he will die. He is withering away. The end is probably measured in months and not years. Nobody can stand to be around him, even his wife and children except for very short time periods. So, he drinks and drinks.... He rides his bicycle to the liquor store after a number of DUI's.

AA saved my life. I didn't think I could possibly get and stay sober. Just recently celebrated 11 years. You will too one day. AA helped me, and it can most likely help you too.
Odd that this popped back up. I quit drinking to support my daughter who had been doing heroin for 10 years. She went to her 7th try at rehab and I went on vacation to make my self unavailable to her and deal with my co-dependency. We've both been clean almost 2 1/2 years now. She's back in school to be a LDAC and I'm retiring. Life is much better.--KV

Last edited:
Congratulations to you, that is a great accomplishment!
I hope that you’re at the point that it is easy and wish that it gets easier every single day.

Quit smoking in June of 1990, quit drinking in December of 1991. Two of the best decisions I ever made. Congrats on your 13 years, Keith . . . and God bless you richly!

I quit smoking 30 Sep 96 almost 2months after my second son was born. I quit drinking 22 Dec 2006 after a series of events that culminated in me waking up in a parking lot parked perfectly, lights on ,engine running, and not answering my cellphone for 6 hours. A couple weeks after that wife and kids went to New Orleans for Christmas vacation and informed me they weren't coming back. I spent a few days drinking lightly and then decided I'm done. I took the money I would have spent on beer and bourbon and set it aside and after 30 days I took that money and bought a digital camera, handheld GPS, and of all things a buck vantage. I carried that vantage for 10 years and I have it as reminder in my knife drawer to take it 1 day at a time and look at everything thing gained since I gave up alcohol. My wife and kids returned on my 103rd day sober and have been here every since. I had a lot of support and I truly appreciate it.

I quit smoking 30 Sep 96 almost 2months after my second son was born. I quit drinking 22 Dec 2006 after a series of events that culminated in me waking up in a parking lot parked perfectly, lights on ,engine running, and not answering my cellphone for 6 hours. A couple weeks after that wife and kids went to New Orleans for Christmas vacation and informed me they weren't coming back. I spent a few days drinking lightly and then decided I'm done. I took the money I would have spent on beer and bourbon and set it aside and after 30 days I took that money and bought a digital camera, handheld GPS, and of all things a buck vantage. I carried that vantage for 10 years and I have it as reminder in my knife drawer to take it 1 day at a time and look at everything thing gained since I gave up alcohol. My wife and kids returned on my 103rd day sober and have been here every since. I had a lot of support and I truly appreciate it.

God bless you, bro. The battle is with the first drink, not the second, third, or fourth!

Awesome bro!

Congrats to all! I'm about 1 week shy of 1.5 years sober after 4 years of everyday drinking. Quit tobacco a few months before quitting alcohol. Tried vaping but is very addictive and expensive.
Decided I can't afford it and that I didn't want to do that to myself anymore.
Then I decided I was not happy where I was living or working for and quit all to move. Still sober and dealing with all the change, one day at the time ;-)

Back