Amazon score

I got my grinder kit from Jamie at Polar Bear Forge last week and have been looking around for a suitable motor. I was on Amazon yesterday, just cruising around, and did a search for motors there. Quite the selection actually, but what caught my eye was a Leeson model 110089.00, which is a 1.5HP farm duty motor, exactly what I was looking for. Usually they run $250 on up (plus shipping, which to Alaska can be wicked expensive for a forty pound motor) Low and behold, Amazon had one left in stock, and it was priced at $116 SHIPPED. o_O SOLD!

It's amazing what you can find online if you spend some time looking :D

http://catalog.leeson.com/item/ac-s...-single-phase-agricultural-duty-motors/110089

Now I need to look at upgrading the breaker for that plug in, I'll be running it on 115v for the time being, and if I read the Leeson info correctly it's going to be pulling something like 20 amps through the lower voltage current... Ouch.

That's a 25 amp breaker, plus heavier wire

If you have room for a 220 breaker, try it

It means smaller cheaper wire.

Yeah I think I might have to give in to the inevitable and have 220 run out there. The wire there now is too light to handle the amperage safely, and if I have to have wire run anyway I might as well upgrade to 220... Eight or nine amps at 220v sounds way more appealing that damned near 20 amps at 110. Also it would simplify my welding situation quite a bit.

Well crap... Motor showed up at my door yesterday. Damned thing isn't as Amazon (or Leeson for that matter) depict it. They show it having a face mount, but it doesn't. Just the rigid base mount. Not sure what now, I need a motor with a face mount for the SLING build. Dammit...

Shame about the frame. The catalog lists it as a 56, but seems to picture a 56C, which is a bit misleading on their part.
As for the breaker, a 20 amp will be fine. 20A is the FLA (full load amps) or starting current of the motor. When it gets to speed, it's only going to be drawing about half of that on average. Unless you're really bogging down the motor for several minutes at a time, it shouldn't trip the breaker from running, and as long as there's not a significant load already on the same circuit, starting won't be a problem either. If you are bogging it down enough to consistently trip a 20amp breaker, then you're creating other problems that a larger breaker is not going to solve: mainly, an overheated motor.

Just something to keep in mind if you do happen to find a similarly rated c-framed motor for your build.

Bummer on not getting what you expected.... you mentioned the motor was a "Leeson model 110089.00"? Sounds like that might be what you got? https://goo.gl/MQpTKB If that is what you got, you sure got a deal on it - listed in link above for $374? BUT - the link you gave shows the same Leeson 110089.00 as the 56C face desired. Sure would be nice if they could keep their "facts" straight. At least with Amazon you can return?

I hate dealing with returns. And quite frankly I got a good enough deal that I should be able to sell it locally, give the buyer a very good price, and still make a bit of money on the transaction. Thus making the correct c-face motor a bit less painful ;)

Drew, thanks for that input. I do plan to get a similar motor to replace this one and it's nice to know I won't have to worry too much about the breaker...

Actually I was looking around on Leeson's site over the weekend, and they sell what looks to be a replacement housing that converts a rigid mount to a C-face mount. Anyone have any experience with that? It would be a significant cost savings over buying a whole new motor...

Well, you only need to swap the endbell. At one point in my life nearly every Leeson c-face 56 frame motor had an endbell machined by me ;) It's really just 4 bolts that pass through the entire stator and retain the cap. Pop the old endbell off and the new one in. The bearings should be retained by the shaft, and should all be the same OD (if the C-face is for the same shaft size motor) so the new endbell will slide right on.

When I say 56 frame I mean every motor that diameter. We never referred to motors as anything but the base NEMA frame denomination as there may be 100 different ones that are essentially identical in all dimensions but length/shaft size/shaft end/etc. So any C-Face endbell for a 56 frame motor with the same shaft size will fit on your motor.

I shot en email to Leeson to verify the correct part number. Fingers crossed, but that sounds like an easy (and relatively cheap) fix. Hopefully I can get things up and running soon. I just bought a set of wheels from Oregonblademaker, so all I'm waiting on is getting the motor to the correct spec so I can start putting the whole thing together...

Last edited:
I'm also building a SLING grinder, but without a face mount motor. Here is what I did:

62gT8Qc.jpg

The motor had three screws holding the front on. I removed those screws and then marked their location on the grinder. I drilled those holes out and then screwed the motor onto the frame. I know the motor might not be square since the front isn't machined flat, but I figure I can shim the motor if needed. Then I marked holes for the foot and drilled those in the base plate. I bolted the motor on and then my buddy welded the frame up and added a tube for a tool rest.

I've removed the motor for painting, but hope to have a chance to finish putting it all together and fire it up this weekend.

My first order of belts cost more the the grinder kit, wheels, hardware, and motor put together.

Back