Another Huck has landed

I am damn tempted to do it right now but to be 100% honest, I'm a little scared that I might find grinder marks under the coating. That would break my heart.

I hear ya'. That would be phenomenal as bare INFI. I remember a few months back you really cleaned up a BG DTBM that had the marks on it. It looked really labor intensive but the results were amazing! (I think that was you, right?)

Honestly, I like the color you chose so it's a winner either way. The only thing for me is that the coating gets all scuffed and torn up over time. Not that that's a big deal though. It's a nice blade and should be a great chopper.

I hear ya'. That would be phenomenal as bare INFI. I remember a few months back you really cleaned up a BG DTBM that had the marks on it. It looked really labor intensive but the results were amazing! (I think that was you, right?)

Honestly, I like the color you chose so it's a winner either way. The only thing for me is that the coating gets all scuffed and torn up over time. Not that that's a big deal though. It's a nice blade and should be a great chopper.

Thanks. Yep, that was my DTBM. I've got etchant sitting on the logo right now..........just in case.

Congrats on the HUCK clampdaddy!!! :thumbup:
Bummer on the grinder gremlins, but at least you saw them before stripping her.

I would still strip her, If those are indeed as you describe Grinder Gremlins, that is unacceptable IMO for a $600 Knife-However the Desert Sage coating does have more of a Clumpy appearance (for lack of a better term) than say Tanker of Black Coating

Last edited:
I would still strip her, If those are indeed as you describe Grinder Gremlins, that is unacceptable IMO for a $600 Knife

If it was just that side I probably would but there is one on the other side too and my knife/gun OCD would drive me crazy until they were gone and right now I don't feel like investing the time to sand them out. There's also the possibility of those little air bubble looking pits being under there that have showed up on the last couple that I've stripped. I love the knife but for now I think I'm done buying coated blades.

Kinda hard to see but there's definitely something under there.

Last edited:
Yup, it looks like it would take some sanding for sure-still unacceptable in my opinion-I already decided a year ago after the Hucks no more coating for me also! Still think this should be addressed by someone@Busse

Yup, it looks like it would take some sanding for sure-still unacceptable in my opinion-I already decided a year ago after the Hucks no more coating for me also! Still think this should be addressed by someone@Busse
Well, it isn't really noticable unless you hit it at an angle with a flashlight, and it is a CG blade so there is no guarantee that they will be pretty underneath so they would be within their rights "address" it with a thicker coating of paint but I definitely don't want that so I think I'm just going to have to beat on it and accept it for what it is.

Maybe there is someone in the production process who has the job on knocking off some of the decarb before coating and they are leaving the grinder scribble marks. With the cost of these blades and knowing people want to strip them, I hope Busse recognizes and addresses the issue.

Last edited:
Maybe there is someone in the production process who has the job on knocking off some of the decarb before coating and they are leaving the grinder scribble marks. With the cost of these blades and knowing people want to strip them, I hope Busse recognizes and addresses the issue.

I doubt that it has anything to so with making the coating stick. Lots and lots of stripped blades out there without them.

As much as i would hate scribles, i dont think we"ll ever find out Why some blades have them.
Like they said, U want pretty ? Buy satin, U want beat on something get CG. (Sucks that some models not available satin)

I'm honestly glad this topic was brought up because it has become increasingly more common with the O2W knives.

So I forgot my Ferric had a ton of copper in it from etching a bunch of Mokume and this happened, lol

Tried electro etching instead, went great :)

Here we go...;)

Waiting time...

Good news! No grinder Gremlins :) Bad news... no grinding at all, 100% decarb.

Quick coat of WD-40

I kind of dig it this way...

~Chip

Last edited:
I doubt that it has anything to so with making the coating stick. Lots and lots of stripped blades out there without them.

I know it's not about making the coating adhere. It just looks like someone is quickly running a grinder across the flats, and we don't know why.

Sorry but I kinda disagree, I love Busse's but I also believe things never get better or change without questioning, constructive dialogue, and reasonable concerns and questions! Everybody knows a satin blade requires more work and craftsmanship to complete and thus cost more-accepted! However A lot of people like to strip their blades for appearance purposes and to INCREASE the performance! A Stripper in most cases is never going to have the same immaculate appearance as Satin-again accepted, However they should not have Z marks and what looks to be Squiggly Gremlin Grinds on them-Dimples and tool marks are accepted with CG-Some of these other marking's should not be, Especially on a knife someone dished out $600 Bucks for!!

As much as i would hate scribles, i dont think we"ll ever find out Why some blades have them.
Like they said, U want pretty ? Buy satin, U want beat on something get CG. (Sucks that some models not available satin)

Last edited:
Sorry but I kinda disagree, I love Busse's but I also believe things never get better or change without questioning, constructive dialogue, and reasonable concerns and questions! Everybody knows a satin blade requires more work and craftsmanship to complete and thus cost more-accepted! However A lot of people like to strip their blades for appearance purposes and to INCREASE the performance! A Stripper in most cases is never going to have the same immaculate appearance as Satin-again accepted, However they should not have Z marks and what looks to be Squiggly Gremlin Grinds on them-Dimples and tool marks are accepted with CG-Some of these other marking's should not be, Especially on a knife someone dished out $600 Bucks for!!

Very well said, sir.

What has Jerry said about the marks when you guys called or emailed him about them?

Back