Another Huck has landed

I know it's not about making the coating adhere. It just looks like someone is quickly running a grinder across the flats, and we don't know why.
On all but one of the blades I've found them on the zig-zags looked to have been done after the the blade was milled. On a buddy's Ratmandu the mark was interupted by the primary grind.

What has Jerry said about the marks when you guys called or emailed him about them?

This. Has anyone with scribble grinder marks emailed or called the shop for a direct answer? I know they make no guarantees about the finish below the coating, but on the CG BB13 for example, Jerry even said they did extra grinding that would be great for strippers. We then saw some of those blades with the ugly marks.

Totally agree with this statement, I have yet to personally notice these on mine, so my comments are in regards to other member's photos, If I receive one that has these marking's I will call the shop and request an explanation! This should be everyone's first course of action if they are concerned or dissatisfied with how their knife looks"
What has Jerry said about the marks when you guys called or emailed him about them?

Agree with the statement also and I know it's extremely taboo to mention anything remotely negative regarding Busse lest you be tarred and feathered but it's not new and I've personally just chosen to live with them on a user or sell the ones that have them I don't plan to use.

But for the sake of honesty whether it's said openly or not, I think we can agree for the cost it does seem uncalled for.

That said, I'm a Busse fan and they are absolutely my go to and favorite blades.

I will not accept to Live with them without an explanation-That's just me, not on a almost $600 dollar knife
Agree with the statement also and I know it's extremely taboo to mention anything remotely negative regarding Busse lest you be tarred and feathered but it's not new and I've personally just chosen to live with them on a user or sell the ones that have them I don't plan to use.

But for the sake of honesty whether it's said openly or not, I think we can agree for the cost it does seem uncalled for.

That said, I'm a Busse fan and they are absolutely my go to and favorite blades.

Stripping is a gamble and lately the odds of winning aren't as good as I'd like. I'm just glad I saw the dealers cards before I went all in, and I think maybe I'll just start playing a game with better odds.

Last edited:
Some better daylight pics...

At some point I'll probably sand all the decarb off, but I think I like it like this for a bit.

For when I do feel like pulling the handle slabs, anybody know what size tubing Busse uses so I can get some replacement fasteners coming?

~Chip

How exactly did you get that copper color on the logo? I really like that. Sounded like you reused a chemical that had been used on copper. Is it a hard chemical to come by?

It's called Ferric Chloride, aka circuit board etch. Turns out, if it has a bunch of copper dissolved in it the copper plates out on the steel instead of dissolving the steel. I thought it looked kinda neat, so after doing the electro etch to get the depth I wanted I reapplied the FC to the logo before I stripped the coating.

~Chip

Better not use it then. I'll take it off of your hands. I'll strip it too.

Seriously though, I bet it's pristine under there. My Battle Saw from days gone by was just simply enough to be interesting, yet grind mark free in the CBT area. I'd bet the Huck and Huck Finn will be the same.

Haven't seen any grinder gremlins on mine (unstripped), but there are three pits so deep they show through the muddy coating. :eek:

So… not pristine.

dBG3SHZ.jpg

I can try to get photos tomorrow.
Brad Pitts?
Don't get me wrong. Love the HUCK. Just saying.... it isn't pristine under the coating. Doesn't matter, though. I didn't get it to strip. I got it to beat like a rented mule.

Turns out I wasn't as invested in the Paracord D guard as I thought ;)

Found the grinder Gremlins! Whoever "B" is...Thank you for only signing under the grips :D

Off to the sanding station!

~Chip

Making some progress...

I need to get my edge trimming technique figured out, but the addition of two 1/16" rubber liners makes a huge difference in grip feel :)

~Chip

Last edited:
Good idea with the Liners :thumbup: Looking beautiful, Great Job, you have skills in this area, I unfortunately Do not :grumpy:
Making some progress...

I need to get my edge trimming technique figured out, but the addition of two 1/16" rubber liners makes a huge difference in grip feel :)

~Chip

Still do not know why their is rust on a New Knife? :confused: Would really like an explanation on this:barf:
Turns out I wasn't as invested in the Paracord D guard as I thought ;)

Found the grinder Gremlins! Whoever "B" is...Thank you for only signing under the grips :D

Off to the sanding station!

~Chip

Yeah, the amount of decarb left on this blade (basically 100% aside from the edge sharpening) is really surprising. Anybody who used it enough to wear away the coating would think it's high carbon when it rusted.

~Chip

Back