Another Run of Traditionals

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I know that the last of the Nessmuks have not shipped yet, but they are close, VERY Close.

When I have down time my mind has a tendency to wander and wonder.

I know that a Canadian Belt Knife has been asked for as well as a Kephart.

While mowing this evening I was thinking about the Marbles Woodcraft and a Hudson Bay.

Just wondering about others ideas on this.

Personally, I have never heard of any of them. Would any of them look good with a glitter handle and hot pink glitter kydex?

I have a big Chris kephart in v10 and I would definitely grab another one of you did a group buy of them. I'd be really interested in seeing your Hudson Bay concept but I'm not sure I would use a knife that size. The other two I don't think I'd be too Interested in.

The kephart is a knife everyone should buy, it's so versatile.

Also, ma'am, the kephart would look great in pink or sparkles.

What about a traditional hatchet? Or, speaking of knives.. Something much smaller than your typical designs, for example like a Sharpfinger?

Or maybe a machete? That Golok was sweet.

Edit: and yes, the 4v nessmuk would be great

Last edited:
I would love to see your take on a Hudson Vay and the Marbles Woodcraft. Maybe you could show us a sketch of each traditional knife that you plan on doing and take a poll to see which one would be the most popular.

I will have to come up with sketches for the Marbles Woodcraft, Hudson Bay, and Canadian Belt Knife.
The Kephart pattern I would use would be the same one I have used for a few years now.

Canadian belt knife or a Kephart sound great to me. Still in for a 4v Nessmuk, too, if that is still happening.

I am going to do a very small run on the 4V when I get a few more things cleared out of the shop, possibly sometime in October or late Sept.

Would like to see as,allege sized Hudson Bay and your interpretation of the Canadian belt knife.

I'd like to see a design that is similar to your Bird-n-Trout, with the following mods. 1" longer, 1/2" addition to the blade and a 1/2" addition to the handle. 1/8" wider at the plunge. Kind of like a Bird-n-Trout on steroids. SUPER thin 4V. Definitely designed with small game and fresh water fish in mind. Though, it has to be able to do woodwork in order to construct the small game traps/snares. A man can go into the woods with his sling-shot, lite-weight backpack, and knife. That's it.

I'd like to see a design that is similar to your Bird-n-Trout, with the following mods. 1" longer, 1/2" addition to the blade and a 1/2" addition to the handle. 1/8" wider at the plunge. Kind of like a Bird-n-Trout on steroids. SUPER thin 4V. Definitely designed with small game and fresh water fish in mind. Though, it has to be able to do woodwork in order to construct the small game traps/snares. A man can go into the woods with his sling-shot, lite-weight backpack, and knife. That's it.
This has a lot of merit in my mind..

That said the "Canadian" traditional is a great design. I've owned a couple over the years. I like the larger variant they made for the Canadian Navy (Boat knife) and in a very thin super duper steel, S90V, S110V, or.. S125V it'd be one heck of a knife... :)So far I've been pleased with 10V's corrosion resistance, but I don't know how it would do longer term.

I'd love to see either a Canadian or a Woodcraft in thin S110V at high hardness. Two of the best designs ever, for game and field work.

Is it just me or was the Kephart renamed a Bushcrafter and re-marketed. Some Kephart's have a higher grind making them to appear like a Bushcrafter. Maybe I'm missing something but a traditional Kephart seems to be the original Bushcrafter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're right. I was thinking yesterday for the traditionals: 3/32" kephart in O1 tool steel and rename it the BooshKrafter and we'd be set!

I have a big Chris kephart in v10 and I would definitely grab another one of you did a group buy of them. ..... The kephart is a knife everyone should buy, it's so versatile. ...
I wonder for what kind of tasks do you prefer a Kephart over a Nessmuk and vise versa?

I wonder for what kind of tasks do you prefer a Kephart over a Nessmuk and vise versa?

I would be the wrong personal to ask. I'm a knife caveman. I generally use any style knife for any style chore. I think people may say the Muks are better at skinning and food prep but, like I said, I would use my big Chris muk and my big Chris kephart for everything and anything.

I do have to admit that I have not used a Nessmuk much but have a lot experience with Kepharts.
A Kephart has a rather plain handle that is capable of being held in any position or grip comfortably.
Also, with a simple spear point shape the blade is very versatile.
It will do most anything good, but not excel at anything. I think it's the Plain and Simple looks that leaves people wanting more.

The Nessmuk I see as more of a skinning knife.
The up swept profile of the blade, I believe, does not lend itself well to lots of outdoor activities.
I see it as being difficult to baton and once you get very far from the ricasso it's not going to be a very good carver.
Now for long slicing cuts like skinning or butchery I can see it being very useful with all that sweep in the cutting edge.

Now with the Nessmuks I recently made and a lot of you received, I feel ride a middle ground here.
They are not a skinner shaped as Nessmuk's original.
There is still considerable belly for skinning but also plenty of straight edge for carving and Bushcrafting.
I feel that when we worked out the design elements we did a really great job of maximizing the versatility.

For my own personal use, however, I am very much a one knife "use what you brung" kind of guy.
I have one fixed blade that I have been carrying pretty much constantly for 6 to 8 months and will use it for what ever I need.
Even if I have 2, 3, or 4 knives available to me on a camp out I will use the one on me for a given task rather than retrieving the one that is best suited for the task.

I'd like to see the concept for a Canadian Belt Knife.

I'm also hoping to get one of those "SteelHead" fillet/boning knives at some point. I live near the Chesapeake Bay, I need lots of options to be able to carve up fish!

Back