Another SR1 Impressions & thoughts thread *PICS*

I know Mick_1KRR already posted an excellent thread and I didn't want to hijack his thread with my thoughts and pics so I just made a new post. I have been waiting for the SR1 for a while. It was on pre-order at all my usual places.

I will just get right to it. This is the knife I always wanted from Cold Steel (with the exception of the 4Max which is my grail Cold Steel...waiting on the Italian ones). This is a great blade if you want hard use EDC tactical/survival knife. The fit and finish on the SR1 is great. The blade centering is perfect and there little to no side to side blade movement when closed. The jimping on the spine is only on the G10/liners and not the lockbar and its not very aggressive. If it was cut across the G10/liners/lockbar like the 4Max it would be more functional. So the jimping in my opinion just lets me know where my thumb is on the back of the knife. I would call it semi-functional. I can live with it because of the grip design.

The lock up is solid as you would expect from the Tri-ad lock. There is no issue disengaging the lockbar at all. It's not easy but not hard if that makes sense. I have had some Tri-ad folders that were really hard to disengage. My Spartan is still stiff and its several years old.

If I really have one negative its the blade could be a little sharper out of the box. It is sharp yes but its not quite the level of sharpness like my Spyderco's typically are. I am no expert on blade grinds but I don't know how much the thickness of the blade comes into play with it being sharp. It cuts paper great but doesn't shave hair too well. Again I am kind of nitpicking.

However the SR1 is extremely smooth to open. It is still stiff and doesn't easily flick open but the over-sized thumbstuds work great and no matter if I am opening or closing the blade its very smooth. I have never had a Cold Steel open as smooth as the SR1 and many other knives I have and have had haven't been this smooth. No exaggeration. I am also glad to see Cold Steel using S35VN steel on this one.

The SR1 is definitely stout and saying it is overbuilt is an understatement. But its also (in my opinion) not so big and heavy it cant function in an EDC role. It has heft and feels solid but doesn't pull my pants down. The steel liners don't go very deep in the G10 handles so I am sure that saves on weight. It seems this design was very well thought out and executed. Its a simple design and it works.

The handle will work in both right and left hands. The G10 offers a lot of grip and reminds me of my Recon 1 which I actually lightly sanded. I wont mess with the SR1 as I like it just how it is. I also like the color. I am used to black G10 on my Cold Steel blades and this green was a good choice. If the SR1 came in black I would still prefer the green G10 over black. I also like the shape of the handle and how it has a finger guard. That important to me especially with such a work horse of a knife.

Overall I absolutely LOVE this knife. The SR1 does not have any gimmicks. It's a serious hard use folder. I HIGHLY recommend this blade.

PM7qXjY.jpg

Uza3EMx.jpg

9iXudQC.jpg

Love the clip on the SR1
0zjnYm4.jpg

Camera angle is a tad off but centering is great.
Lc1ch8R.jpg

Beefy stop pin
cu2EsCO.jpg

KjfZWiq.jpg

Look at how deep that lockbar goes
yEueBI9.jpg

9jLon5f.jpg

oAXIwGG.jpg

iMar9HQ.jpg

Also have a Nylon Leatherman MUT-EOD sheath that fits it perfect
Pm58nKY.jpg

Very good write up mate and I agree completely on all counts. I have a second one on the way. Enjoy her! PS - reprofiling this to 21 degrees really transformed the edge and cutting feel, cuts very well now even while being thick behind the edge.

Very good write up mate and I agree completely on all counts. I have a second one on the way. Enjoy her! PS - reprofiling this to 21 degrees really transformed the edge and cutting feel, cuts very well now even while being thick behind the edge.

Great info on the profiling and thanks for commenting! Haha yeah I am thinking of picking up a second one myself. But I still want a 4Max too.

Great info on the profiling and thanks for commenting! Haha yeah I am thinking of picking up a second one myself. But I still want a 4Max too.
No worries, the 4 max is an amazing knife too mate, you'll never regret buying one i can promise you that.

Back