Another Sunday hike: a mountain peak, outdoor Holy Mass and a hearty homemade lunch

Just in case I wasn't jealous enough with my dad in the Alps sending me pictures the whole freaking day (got to love international data roaming... sig...), now here you are to post even MORE alpine pictures. I am regreting SO MUCH not making my usual winter/spring climbing trip to the Alps this year!

Hi!

mete mete : Hi! Interesting, didn’t know this story in details :). Thanks!

@jmh33: Thank-you John :)! Happy you liked the pics! It’s the same for me, I really travel some areas of the world I probably would never have the possibility to explore in person here :thumbsup:!

@Dangerously: Thanks! Yes, some history :): this and other similar border stones tell the story of the evolution of the border line between the Duchy of Milan and the Republic of Venice along the Brembana Valley, starting with the Peace Treaty of Lodi (1454) until the advent of the French and Austrian States, when the two ancient states were merged into one: the Cisalpina Republic first, the Lombardo-Veneto later.

The border line had been pointed out on the ground with a few big border stones, placed in dominant positions but far from each other, so the difficulty in the intermediate zones was to know what the true political jurisdiction was (Milanese or Venetian).

Since then there have been many contrasts between the Milanese and the Venetians (Bergamaschi) who lived close to each others in these areas, for the exploitation of pastures, springs, forests, game and huts, and, in the course of about four centuries of history, such contrasts degenerated several times, leading to about 50 homicides with great turmoil on the part of the people and political authorities.

In the attempts to resolve these disputes an incredible number of maps of all sorts were produced, even some very detailed ones, with the purpose of pointing out the most accurate state border without great success however. Some of these, today, are exhibited in the ethnographic museums of the valleys.

Only in the middle of the eighteenth century after many contrasts, with the Treaty of Mantua, also known as the Treaty of Borders, it was possible to agree upon and make clarity on the borders, thing which succeeded to remedy to a great extent the hatreds between the people of Milan and Bergamo with the installation of a new and rich series of border stones, bearing the symbols of the neighbouring states, the year of planting, and a progressive numbering. This photo shows exactly one of those :).

M Mikel_24 : Thank-you :)! Don’t worry, you can recover next year :). Alps aren’t going away any time soon :D! Good news is roaming fees in EU have been cancelled, as I know :thumbsup:.

Thank-you :)! Don’t worry, you can recover next year :). Alps aren’t going away any time soon :D! Good news is roaming fees in EU have been cancelled, as I know :thumbsup:.
Exactly! About time they did it... Vodafone had been doing it for a couple years at least, but now is mandatory for all the companies. Dad just came back from his trip. Lots of pictures as well!

Hi!

mete mete : That's interesting! I didn't have the feeling blue flowers were so rare, just looking around :)!

22-rimfire 22-rimfire : Thanks :)! I'd say both but Masses in Latin are not so common today, very few celebrations are in Latin, mostly in Italian.

S SLD : Thanks! Glad you liked it :)!

Back