Another Uncle George

Codger_64

I have a George Schrade fixed blade knife marked "Stag Brand". It is 6 1/2 " long with a 3 1/8" blade, a leather handle with red, black and white spacers. I am not a long time collector, so I can best describe this knife as a boy's knife, or maybe a bird and trout knife. Now, I know that George quit making knives in 1945, so this knife is at least that old. Does the "Stag Brand" marking narrow the date any? It is in what appears to be the original sheath with a deer, duck, and grouse embossed on it. Anyone familiar with this knife?

Codger

Codger
I found a Stag Cutlery Co mentioned in Bernie Levine's guide which says it was owned by Imperial and made in Ireland. Dates were "? to present"
Hope someone else can help a little more.
TTYL
Larry

I remember seeing Stag Cutlery, but maybe this is a precursor. Below STAGBRAND it is stamped GEO. SCHRADE KNIFE CO.

Codger

The Stagbrand hunting knives were made by George when he was in his Bridgeport, CT operation. He made 5 rigid blade knives with the "Stagbrand" tang stamp. They were numbered model #1 through model #5 in order of size of blade length. The one you are describing was model #1, the smallest in the line. They all had nickel silver guard, decorated leather handle and aluminum butt, and they included a tubular embossed sheath. The StagBrand made my George has no relationship to the Imperial Stag. That was just coincidentally the name of our factory in Ireland.

UH Fan,
You are unbelievable!!
LT you were correct (like we ever doubted you) about UH Fan.

Here is a copy of the advertisement for the set of hunting knives Debbie was talking about.
There are 3 more in the book # 11-13 which have a simulated deer horn handle.
If you look real close at the largest knife you can just make out the STAGBRAND stamp.
Please Please stay around and continue to help us!

Stagbrand.jpg

WOw! Thanks folks! I am really getting an education in knife history here! UHFan, you really ought to do a book, either solo or colaboration. As long as it doesn't cause you to stop teaching us here!

So, the good news is that I have a nice Geo. Schrade Stagbrand #1, and the bad news is that now I have to find the other four? Um.... Would you each please write a brief letter to my wife explaining how important it is to posterity that I buy those four? ;)

Codger PS. There wasn't a FOURTH brother in the knife trade, was there? :D

Actually there was a 4th brother. William Schrade ran (or did the Accounting for) the Middletown NY branch of their plant during its very short lived run.

Dear Mrs. Codger:

Please give Mr. Codger permission to collect the remaining editions of the George Schrade knives that he is seeking. It is a great matter of historical value and in raising the self-esteem of your hubby during "show & tell" (He He). Besides, if you let him buy his knives, you can get that nice new ring that you've been looking at every time you walk by the jewelry store window. (Works every time!!)

As for a book...that is my dream. I am currently trying to organize all of my research to compile all of the written info and pictures that I have collected over the years. Quite a job, but I'm lovin every minute of it.

Thanks again UHfan. Now I'll spend many pleasant hours at knife shows and on ebay looking for an Uncle Willy knife!!!! :footinmou

Brenda, read CAREFULLY: First knives, THEN ring. ;)

A book.... somehow I just knew it! I always felt the Schrade history deserved it's own volume. And from what I've seen, a more knowledgable author would be hard to find. Heck, you just might get your own Schrade retirement package anyway!

Codger - proud owner of a George Schrade #1,#_,#3,#4,#_!

BTW, I finally found a replacement 897UH for the one my worker broke this summer. America Works With Schrade

Hello all. First time here. Hope im doing this right. I'm guessing this would be numbers 1& 2. Both Stag Brand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Actually there was a 4th brother. William Schrade ran (or did the Accounting for) the Middletown NY branch of their plant during its very short lived run.

Dear Mrs. Codger:

Please give Mr. Codger permission to collect the remaining editions of the George Schrade knives that he is seeking. It is a great matter of historical value and in raising the self-esteem of your hubby during "show & tell" (He He). Besides, if you let him buy his knives, you can get that nice new ring that you've been looking at every time you walk by the jewelry store window. (Works every time!!)

As for a book...that is my dream. I am currently trying to organize all of my research to compile all of the written info and pictures that I have collected over the years. Quite a job, but I'm lovin every minute of it.

From what I've been told there were only 3 Schrade brothers. George, J. Louis and William. Who was the 4th?
The fixed blade Hunting Knives were made up until 1956 at the Bridgeport shop till Boker took over the operation. They came in 5 different sizes and stamped Stagbrand, Geo. Schrade Knife Co. below. Came with embossed tubular sheath. There was also a double sheathed set, side by side, with a #1 3 1/4" blade and #5 5" blade.

There were also 3 sizes that came with simulated Crown Stag handles.

Mr. Schrade! Always a pleasure to have you drop by and share your knowledge! Since Ms. Chase made the above post, we still have only identified the aforementioned three brothers, George, Louis and William. Albeit that some geneology research might yet turn up a fourth brother, possibly not involved with the cutlery business. But since this is your family, I will certainly defer to your knowledge!

As to the above sheath knives, after Boker bought the company they continued to produce them for a short while. The markings evolved with the addition of a blade etch of "Boker - Treebrand" with the tree, then "Schradebrand". Or vice versa. I have seen examples of both and have one marked "Schradebrand" with the stamp.

Mr. Schrade! Always a pleasure to have you drop by and share your knowledge! Since Ms. Chase made the above post, we still have only identified the aforementioned three brothers, George, Louis and William. Albeit that some geneology research might yet turn up a fourth brother, possibly not involved with the cutlery business. But since this is your family, I will certainly defer to your knowledge!

As to the above sheath knives, after Boker bought the company they continued to produce them for a short while. The markings evolved with the addition of a blade etch of "Boker - Treebrand" with the tree, then "Schradebrand". Or vice versa. I have seen examples of both and have one marked "Schradebrand" with this tang stamp.

Picked up this George Schrade Stagbrand knife recently on our favorite auction site. It measures 8 inches overall with a blade length of 4 3/8 inches. It has the simulated crown stag "styrene" handles that I haven't seen before (only the leather versions). It is marked STAGBRAND, Geo. Schrade Knife Co., B'Port, CT U.S.A. Including photos after some quick cleaning.
Stagbrand_GeoSchrade_438 005.JPG Stagbrand_GeoSchrade_438 006.JPG Stagbrand_GeoSchrade_438 007.JPG Stagbrand_GeoSchrade_438 008.JPG Stagbrand_GeoSchrade_438 010.JPG

Last edited:
I have never seen one of those. Very interesting! Here is a sidenote which also may be of interest. I have a Schrade Walden fixed blade bird and trout knife with its ORIGINAL sheath which is identical to the sheaths shown here, with the deer, duck and upland game bird. This tells me that another firm was supplying these sheaths to BOTH companies. And I have seen other larger Schrade Walden sheaths that must have come from the same supplier, with similar motifs.

Sounds right as I have the same sheath motif on a Schrade Walden 141L "Tall Tale" knife with the bear head pommel. These were made from 1961-1965 whereas the Stagbrand by George Schrade was made much earlier.

Back