Anvil question.

Hey guys,
I'm wanting to get a new anvil and was wondering what I should look for and where to get a good one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

About $1,200.
I was looking at either a 200 lbs Emerson or a 200 lbs TFS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IMO, what you should look for is:
Size - bigger/heavier is better, buy as large as you can afford. You've heard the old adage: Pay once, cry once.
Surface - Smooth (no nicks or dings), Flat and hard is ideal. a lot of folks will take a ball bearing and drop it on the anvil from a couple feet and it should rebound pretty well. If the ball bearing doesn't rebound much, the anvil is considered "dead" and not worth your cash. You want the hammer blow's force transferred to the piece, not get absorbed by the anvil.
If you could swing another $800-ish I'd personally buy (waiting for mine, actually) a #260 Nimba Centurion.

I guess the first question should have been for what type of forging? If it's just knife making, then you don't necessarily need as large a face as the Nimba. Absolutely wonderful for general forging though.

Good luck
~billyO

Nimbas are great anvils, although if you're just bladesmithing the smaller 120 lb titan model might be good enough for you, its only $975 and its a good size. Otherwise I would keep my eye out for a peter wright. Where are you located? so long as you aren't located on the west coast you should be able to find something locally on craigslist or on the Facebook market place or in local antique stores.

For your price point check out Rigid Peddinghaus 165lb. Forged steel and the double horn style can be a plus for bladesmithing.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Back