any bourbon drinkers here?

i have been searching for my budget bourbon for the daily pour and i didnt like evan williams or virgin bourbon at all but i am digging the wild turkey 101. its not exactly budget but cheaper then some. whats your budget bottle? i need to try some Canadian whisky can anyone reccomend one?

on the better stuff.. i am on anything buffalo trace these days as its been plentiful in my neck of the woods but makers mark, bakers and knob creek are staples in my cabinet. if i had to pick a favorite readily available bottle i'd have to go with bakers. ive found 100 proof+ neat is best for me

My go to is Willet 2yo rye. Just got some Eagle Rare burbon. Very nice for under $40. Also like the Willet burbon in the kiln bottle 1.5L.

I'm not one to argue semantics of bourbon vs whiskey, being raised on Jack Daniels. The day of my high school graduation I drank a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 and a 12oz can of 7up, haven't dipped into that well since. I do have some Bookers and 18 yo Jameson always on standby but my most frequent buy is Pendleton it's a Canadian whiskey and it's damn smoooooth.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

i noticed the willet in the kiln bottle recently on the shelf but passed it by. after doing some checking ive learned its a highly recommended bourbon.

ill have to check out the rye. ive only had wathens for a rye and liked it a lot. eagle rare is tasty but i think buffalo trace wins between the two for me. need to grab another eagle rare to be sure though

Check out Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig - both are generally under $30. Four Roses Small Batch is usually right around the $30 mark (less in some areas). For a few dollars more $29-35, depending on location, Henry McKenna Single Barrel is a good buy.

I'm not one to argue semantics of bourbon vs whiskey, being raised on Jack Daniels. The day of my high school graduation I drank a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 and a 12oz can of 7up, haven't dipped into that well since. I do have some Bookers and 18 yo Jameson always on standby but my most frequent buy is Pendleton it's a Canadian whiskey and it's damn smoooooth.

haha im pretty sure thats a common story with the turkey! you may not believe this but ive never even tasted jack daniels. gentlemen jack i have though and i was not a fan. not bad just not a fan

Henry McKenna Single Barrel IS excellent and i can usually get it for $25. four roses single barrel is on my list but never see it on the shelves

This made me chuckle, it's how I feel about Drambuie, just nasty stuff!

I stick to Makers Mark usually, easily accessible and if I'm out and about I know that it's not gonna be $25 a pour in NYC.

Four Roses Small Batch and Four Roses Single Barrel are my favorites overall. I have not tried the regular Four Roses Yellow Label yet.

Others I enjoy:
1792 Small Batch
Bulleit
Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek

I have tried Elijah Craig a couple of times but it's just not one of my favorites in that price range.

One way to save money is to buy bottles in 1.75L sizes rather than the 750ml bottles. For some reason, at least in my area, there is a big discount per ounce in the larger bottles. For example, a 750ml bottle may cost $32 but the same product in a 1.75L is only $50. So for an extra $18, you get a full extra liter.

Assuming having a bigger bottle doesn't make you consume more, and assuming you don't mind drinking the same whiskey for quite a while, it's definitely the way to go for getting quality at a cheaper price, rather than moving down the quality ladder a rung or two to get cheaper in the same size bottle.

I have a 1.75L bottle of Bulleit I just opened yesterday when my Four Roses Small Batch ran out.

Bulleit makes a pretty good rye whiskey as well.

Bulleit is good, Devils cut is also up in there in the budget isle. Woodford reserve is smooth sippin just a bit more $.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1792 Small Batch
Bulleit
Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek

I recommend all these here. As a matter of fact Bulleit is my main go to. john you have reminded me that i should rotate back to 1792 soon. Good stuff!

Tony

Mixer, owned by Coca-Cola.
Lemonpaeroa.JPG

L&P is also often used as a mixer in New Zealand bars, particularly with Southern Comfort.
Analysis of Paeroa mineral water by Arthur Wohlman in 1904 revealed magnesium bicarbonate in a concentration of 73 grains to the gallon (1040 mg/L)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_&_Paeroa
Some claim an antacid benefit.
Review
[video=youtube;zf1yFgJeCPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf1yFgJeCPI[/video]

I really like Jefferson's small batch bourbon it runs around $30 for 750ml.
It wonderful on the nose & with a lingering vanilla spice on the back of the palette.
I don't think you can go wrong.

Crown Royal's rye just won the international whiskey award.

Though a bit on the pricey side for a daily pour, check out Widow Jane bourbon. Made in Kentucky and then shipped uncut to NY, to be brought to proof (91) with mineral water from the Widow Jane quarry. The quarry is know for its water and stones (they make up the pedestal to the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge)--but enough about the stones... the bourbon (8 year) is strong, full of flavor, and despite its proof, there's no burn going down (not for me at least... but a few others have confirmed too). Good smooooooth stuff :thumbup:

Back